The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

In the age of the internet, the truth is whatever you want it to be. You can find "evidence" to back up your claim no matter how loony toonz it is to others.

The internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to extremists.

I made numerous statements about Todd in his trailer in Idaho being more credible to those types than tens of millions of medical professionals through covid.  Because Todd told them what they wanted to hear.

This is no different

• Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A person deciding to identify as being a two spirit person leaning towards being a man or a woman against their born "gender norm" is one thing.  It's an irrefutable thing.  But a person deciding that they deserve to be respected for pretending to cosplay as a cat and demanding to be referred to as such is not normal it is in fact the behaviour of the mentally deficient.

Look, I get your position.  Fine; whatever.  You have an issue with people deciding to be gender fluid or to identify as a gender they were not born as.  Great.  That's on you.  But suggesting this is somehow the same is beyond childish.  It is akin to saying that because this teenager wants to dye their hair a unique colour; that we should also respect the one that eats paste as being normal.

The last paragraph isn't my stance. My position is trying to understand where people draw the line in terms of accommodating someone's preferences, and when it's acceptable to not do so. I'm trying to use a scenario that would be easier to distinguish, then bring it to more common scenarios.

I appreciate you giving some sort of an answer to this when many others won't. So then my follow up question, why is one ok but the other isn't? I'm not trying to say they're the same, just looking for people to give their rationale.

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

The words Elon uses here are terrifying.

What dystopian measures would this guy take to control thought if he had more power?

Well he does have a chip coming out that will be put into your brain and control your every thought, so maybe this is a way to ease us into that? 

• There it is 1

On a separate note. The Nasdaq is +1.1% today while TSLA is -5% to a new 52 week low. The smart money is clearly concerned about Musk's erratic behavior and his focus seemingly being entirely on Twitter. After all he is sleeping there. So who exactly is running Tesla? That seems to be the question Wall Street is asking.

He's no longer the richest man in the world.

IMO he's on the same trajectory as Kanye, only a few months behind.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

On a separate note. The Nasdaq is +1.1% today while TSLA is -5% to a new 52 week low. The smart money is clearly concerned about Musk's erratic behavior and his focus seemingly being entirely on Twitter. After all he is sleeping there. So who exactly is running Tesla? That seems to be the question Wall Street is asking.

He's no longer the richest man in the world.

IMO he's on the same trajectory as Kanye, only a few months behind.

Sam Bankman-Fried? 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

The last paragraph isn't my stance. My position is trying to understand where people draw the line in terms of accommodating someone's preferences, and when it's acceptable to not do so. I'm trying to use a scenario that would be easier to distinguish, then bring it to more common scenarios.

I appreciate you giving some sort of an answer to this when many others won't. So then my follow up question, why is one ok but the other isn't? I'm not trying to say they're the same, just looking for people to give their rationale.

This comes directly back to my question about wondering which of scott or musk you thought was posting nonsense.  It costs nothing for a person to accept a person as identifying as male/female or being unsure as something fluid or in between.  Nothing.  By diminishing that basic level of respect it is essentially saying a person is not worthy of even the most basic level of recognition which is incredibly demeaning.

A person suggesting they are a cat or dog and needs to be respected as such is a person with significant mental issues and a need/desire for attention.  That is not right or normal.  I will not get in to the optics of men playing in womens sports based on gender identification; that's another argument.  But the suggestion that school boards are allowing kids to defecate in litter boxes is not only insane but also incredibly foolish (imo) to use as a counter point to basic gender inequality issues present in todays society.

Literally nobody; NOBODY is accepting of that.  A good reference would be the small group of weirdos that get their jollies dressing up as babies and being coddled by "paid providers" as a form of sexual satisfaction.  NOBODY accepts that as normal or right.  Rightfully so.

For Musk, one of the most visibly followed individuals in the world; to essentially say people with gender identity conflicts are not worth the simplest form of respect of identifying them as she/her/him/he in a society that is increasingly violent towards people in the trans community, it is a foghorn to those social miscreants who would do harm to them and an essential green light.

This is a situation in which Musk could have just shut his mouth but instead didn't.  I won't even get in to his Q-Anon conspiracy nonsense about Dr Fauci; but this is not a hill to die on for anyone with basic levels of respect for their fellow man.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Gurn said:

After giving one of his 600 kids the name he did.

Elon has no right to complain about what other people want to be called.

F in hypocrite.

Maybe he's salty because of this:

Trans BTW

ELON MUSKDAUGHTER FILES TO CHANGE LAST NAME ...No Longer Wants to 'Be Related' to Him

https://amp-tmz-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.tmz.com/2022/06/20/elon-musk-daughter-name-change-transgender-court-filing/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16709583383213&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmz.com%2F2022%2F06%2F20%2Felon-musk-daughter-name-change-transgender-court-filing%2F

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A lot of people complaining about Elon Musk and his use of Twitter, but its a privately owned company he paid 45 billion dollars for. I would do what ever I wanted on there too for that price tag.  If people dont like it, make 45 billion dollars and buy it back.  

The problem is that not only is he openly promoting terrorism and bigotry, a lot of the labor practices he's trying to implement are outright illegal.  It's not unreasonable to want this worthless piece of trash to be thrown in prison where he belongs.  There are consequences for actions.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A lot of people complaining about Elon Musk and his use of Twitter, but its a privately owned company he paid 45 billion dollars for. I would do what ever I wanted on there too for that price tag.  If people dont like it, make 45 billion dollars and buy it back.  

This is apparently what the US President said.

A report came out about him and what he thought of Musks use of such a valuable tool for communication and the elimination of safety and checks allowing for a rise in potential extremism.  he evidently said it wasn't on his radar as it was a private company

Like it or not the alternative is doing what the former guy did.  grift enough people in to starting your own or move over to mastodon

Just now, King Heffy said:

The problem is that not only is he openly promoting terrorism and bigotry, a lot of the labor practices he's trying to implement are outright illegal.  It's not unreasonable to want this worthless piece of trash to be thrown in prison where he belongs.  There are consequences for actions.

I'm sure he is really supportive of terrorism. The guy has an estimated IQ of 155 (Einstein was estimated to be around 160), specializes in rocket science, and mainstreamed the electric car. Yet everyone with a computer thinks they know more than him, he definitely has a lack of social skills and probably limited in the way of a filter but he is not a global terrorist and hate monger. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is apparently what the US President said.

A report came out about him and what he thought of Musks use of such a valuable tool for communication and the elimination of safety and checks allowing for a rise in potential extremism.  he evidently said it wasn't on his radar as it was a private company

Like it or not the alternative is doing what the former guy did.  grift enough people in to starting your own or move over to mastodon

He does have a lot to lose, if things go sideways for Twitter. At the end of the day is a free market and people have a choice what platforms to use. People will always find a platform with the internet these days, even for hate speech.   

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I'm sure he is really supportive of terrorism. The guy has an estimated IQ of 155 (Einstein was estimated to be around 160), specializes in rocket science, and mainstreamed the electric car. Yet everyone with a computer thinks they know more than him, he definitely has a lack of social skills and probably limited in the way of a filter but he is not a global terrorist and hate monger. 

Which is why he supports appeasing Putin and is allowing American terrorists back on the platform.  Just because he has a high IQ doesn't mean he is not an evil piece of garbage and certainly doesn't mean we should make excuses for him.  Bottom line is that he has less than zero value to humanity and his technical skill makes him more of a threat.

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He does have a lot to lose, if things go sideways for Twitter. At the end of the day is a free market and people have a choice what platforms to use. People will always find a platform with the internet these days, even for hate speech.   

100%

It is a private company.  Musk can do with it what he will to it's betterment or detriment.  No matter what people say and no matter how they feel about it.  The end result is it's not something that can be easily regulated.

29 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Why would anyone pay $45 Billion for an asset that maybe is worth $10-15B tops.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This is the weakest argument Ive seen yet against someone criticizing musk. That's like saying since aqualini owns the Canucks "If you dont like something about the team then either buy it from him or shut up."

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1