The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Apr. 07, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

No point watching or commenting then, I guess?...

no one stopping you from watching or commenting. people are entitled to their unrealistic expectation just like i'm entitled to have reasonable expectation. if winning and making the playoff is the only reason people watch the game? then there should be 16 empty arenas in the league every season no?

18 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not what folks will wanna hear, but Chaisson was a shrewd move by Benning.

JB was a hit and miss kinda GM, way more positive, but he was pigeon holed early by the weird media market bi polar personality, and was a guy who wasn’t the most articulate, but he was and is shrewd scout and made some really great moves. 

he made some bad, but what a dump of bad contracts… 

he made the job of Rutherford and Alvin so much easier.  Plus he cleaned up his own mess. 

he has blind spots, and I think that he became further and further isolated and reduced his staff to a dis functional level and group like minded folks who could not see the same things that JB could not see.  Like that Green was timed out.  

that move by Smyl, was the GM move of the year.  Lol

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Phat Fingers said:

JB was a hit and miss kinda GM, way more positive, but he was pigeon holed early by the weird media market bi polar personality, and was a guy who wasn’t the most articulate, but he was and is shrewd scout and made some really great moves. 

he made the job of Rutherford and Alvin so much easier.  Plus he cleaned up his own mess. 

he has blind spots, and I think that he became further and further isolated and reduced his staff to a dis functional level and group like minded folks who could not see the same things that JB could not see.  Like that Green was timed out.  

it was Stan that hired Bruce.  

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Rackdawg said:

I could see horvat asking for 8 million x 7 next  contract.

Yep.... we've been talking about Miller for a long time now, while folks seems to think Bo will be some left over at a 6M/year contract. 
He will want paid as well. For all Miller does, Bo isn't that fr behind, if behind at all...

More money needed to be found. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

That's going to be a choice the Canucks have to make though.  There are very few forwards making $8M AAV or more across the league.  If the Canucks really do re-sign Miller, then there's a good chance his contract could be north of $8M AAV. Pettersson's current deal ends in 2 years and if he keeps up his production from the last 30+ games over the next 2 years, then he's going to demand a significant raise too, presumably more than $8M AAV also.  I can see the Canucks trying to keep Miller, Pettersson and Horvat as their top-3 Cs, but not at $8M+ each.  In that care, even if the cap rose to $100M, those 3 players would take up about a quarter of the entire cap.

As it stands, the Canucks already need to reallocate cap space for next year if they really want to make any meaningful changes for next season.  This mostly means making some changes with the D core, but the most immediate decision (as far as an actual free agent) is Boeser.  If they can re-sign him below his QO then great, but that will impact available cap space for Miller, Horvat and eventually Pettersson's new contract too.

It's been good to see Bo turn his season around and doing so makes management's decision making all the more complex.  If the Canucks prioritize keeping Bo and spend money on wingers while also trying to rebuild the D, then that signals to me that Miller is gone.  If Miller's traded however, then that leaves the Canucks with weaker C depth again unless they can get at least a decent top-9 C in return.

Yep... and same for Bo. 
This is the reason we need more cap flexibility. 
Big questions to be answered by management. We'll struggle to keep them all, especially while also wanting to get better at D. 

20 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree $8M+ is way too much for Bo.  That's probably top 15-20 Cs in the league type money.  Bo has made the most of the season in its latter half but not nearly enough to justify that kind of money.  Even if we use someone like Joe Pavelski as a comparable at the same age, he was paid at about 6.73% of the cap at the time which would be equivalent to what Bo's currently being paid, $5.5M AAV.

I will be very surprised, if we get Bo to sign for that on his next contract.

If we end up paying Miller 8.5M+, Bo would want a substantial raise as well.... He is also 2 years younger than Miller, and going into his prime...

20 hours ago, JM_ said:

I can see them offering Bo something in the 6 to 6.5 range over 6 or 7 years. 

Will not be surprised if its around 7M... 6-7 years will be perfect, as its right through his prime...

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

So tired of catch phrases.

Is being woke really that bad?

Anyway. Vancouver is wonderful, and awful. Depends on where you live, your circle of friends, what your job is, what your hobbies are...you know, life.

My 20+ years living in the DT core was F'in great.

Yep....same everywhere in the world. :)

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Trade for Marino, and Lundqvist add cheaper Lyubushkin. 

Stop trying to spend all of our cap space on old, expensive UFA's :P

OK if you stop making trades that won't happen :P Marino seems like a big part of that teams plans, nice cost controlled RHD is something I don't see them giving us.

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Now that we are nostalgically looking back on ol’ Jimbo’s reign, I tend to think his crowning achievement was the JT Miller trade. Even if we don’t sign him, if the new Jimbo and his padawan Allvin do their job right, we should get quite a nice haul for him this offseason. I’m basically going to judge this new regime on what happens with Miller.

I’ve mentioned it before, but Allvin is so underwhelming in his media appearances. Heard him on the radio yesterday and my god Benning was a damn wordsmith compared to him. 

8 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Now that we are nostalgically looking back on ol’ Jimbo’s reign, I tend to think his crowning achievement was the JT Miller trade. Even if we don’t sign him, if the new Jimbo and his padawan Allvin do their job right, we should get quite a nice haul for him this offseason. I’m basically going to judge this new regime on what happens with Miller.

I’ve mentioned it before, but Allvin is so underwhelming in his media appearances. Heard him on the radio yesterday and my god Benning was a damn wordsmith compared to him. 

PA is quite the change from Benning, thats for sure. I thought it was interesting when PA described himself as a bit of a dirty player, so I think there's more going on underneath that demeanour that is being shown. I hated the way our media ripped every Benning interview apart so I don't mind the calm waters this time. 

The Miller issue is going to play out for years on here no matter which way it goes, trade or keep him. 

It really comes down to what Miller wants at the end of the day, imo. 

Edited by JM_

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

PA is quite the change from Benning, thats for sure. I thought it was interesting when PA described himself as a bit of a dirty player, so I think there's more going on underneath that demeanour that is being shown. I hated the way our media ripped every Benning interview apart so I don't mind the calm waters this time. 

The Miller issue is going to play out for years on here no matter which way it goes, trade or keep him. 

Well, the media can’t rip Allvin for his interviews because he says absolutely NOTHING. :lol:

Agreed on your last comment on Miller. I’ve always had a gut feeling he’d prefer to play in the U.S.. But I’ve also always said I’ll be happy to be wrong and that if he stays here for a contract and term that won’t wreck our cap situation for years to come….I’d love for him to stay.

But the potential return for him is compelling as well. Not that I trust them completely yet….but I’m just gonna have to put my faith in GMJR and his padawan apprentice.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Well, the media can’t rip Allvin for his interviews because he says absolutely NOTHING. :lol:

Agreed on your last comment on Miller. I’ve always had a gut feeling he’d prefer to play in the U.S.. But I’ve also always said I’ll be happy to be wrong and that if he stays here for a contract and term that won’t wreck our cap situation for years to come….I’d love for him to stay.

But the potential return for him is compelling as well. Not that I trust them completely yet….but I’m just gonna have to put my faith in GMJR and his padawan apprentice.

I'm not sold, at all, on some massive perfect haul coming our way for Miller. I just don't think the current trade market, and flat-is cap for 2-3 more years, puts us in that kind of position. People seem to be expecting something on the scale of the Eichel deal. 

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Alvin is in his second language, JB hadn’t finished his first yet… lol.  

I think JB drafted mostly the guys who were the right player after he swung and missed the first time.  

Let’s go back in time…

2014, JB was two weeks on the job and clearly the Bruins did not tip their hand to Pasternak, maybe giving JB a bit of mis information on Pasternak because he was right there.  

JV, I was a person that saw the glass as half full, but what a poor character and real $&!# stain on the franchise history.  

McCann was a solid pick, Demko Stellar, Trymakin could have been useful in a Schenn role, Forsling was a great pick, terrible trade but great pick.  

Next year, JB makes up for $&!# Stain, with Brock, the Flow Boeser.  

Tried to find a Center, got close with Adam Gaudette.  still can’t find a D man.  

&^@#s up his first real d man pick.  I think he saw him self somehow in OJ.  JB flopped too.  Serge, Chyckrun, McAvoy etc… Yes, Matt, but what about the defence.  They went too far in the opposite way after $&!# Stain and it didn’t work either.  Defence is still and issue and a number of solid picks were there that went after OJ.  That lazy guy with a weaker immune system.  I don’t think he loves the sun much.  

JB finds a way to make his Center ice position one of power at the NHL with Petey.  One key area of need fixed for the next ten years with Horvat, Petey and Miller.  

Then Hughes, and Woo too.  Suddenly there is youth on the defence and maybe a guy for the RHD.  

Hogs and Podz, big leaps forward in drafting.  Rookie season with his homeland waging a horrible war of aggression.  He has peers likely dead in Ukraine.  

He lost the room thru the Covid season and going with $&!# stain vs TT.  Then stick with green when green lost the room and ultimately the season.  

It’s some of the best young talent and some great trades some bad, and some terrible signings.  

if forsling and McCann stuck around, it would be a great line up depth wise.  

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

no one stopping you from watching or commenting. people are entitled to their unrealistic expectation just like i'm entitled to have reasonable expectation. if winning and making the playoff is the only reason people watch the game? then there should be 16 empty arenas in the league every season no?

So you’re saying you’re entitled?

On 4/9/2022 at 8:04 AM, JM_ said:

What was interesting is that Gillis would just dodge the question, or not answer the question and just sweat. And everyone was ok with that. 

• Haha 2