The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Bull$&!#, Petey and Horvat knows they still are the future.

Miller is just a mercenarie still that wants his payday.

Benning really srewed the ”team”…

Lol.  Don't be so upset that Miller put this team on his back and forced them to play better.   He's just as much a reason for our success in the second half as Bruce is.    Still has an outside chance at 100 points too.   When's the last time any Canuck scored 90 points?   He's exactly the type of player i like to see on our team.   

• Vintage 2

Just now, JM_ said:

OK, but where is the 90pts and C talent going to come from next season if we move on from Miller? 

And please give me more than the 'step back to move fwd' thing, thats a vision, not a plan. 

I can step in… By creating a team that constantly bring in young cheap talents creating a depth that can handle the 82 games without being in steep problems as this season. 

Benning really screwed things up with his patchwork. 

Just now, IBatch said:

Lol.  Don't be so upset that Miller put this team on his back and forced them to play better.   He's just as much a reason for our success in the second half as Bruce is.    Still has an outside chance at 100 points too.   When's the last time any Canuck scored 90 points?   He's exactly the type of player i like to see on our team.   

I’m upset at fans doesn’t know how to understand strategy and goes only for what’s shiny at the moment.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

These guys are professionals, they've all dealt with trades many, many times and I doubt they think they'd sink without Miller.

This year ... Miller is the main reason we had a chance down the stretch.    IF we made the playoffs, deserves Hart votes - the same way Hall did with NJ a couple years ago.    His stats when he gets a point and doesn't are pretty staggering.   EP woke up a little too late ... Brock as well.   

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’m upset at fans doesn’t know how to understand strategy and goes only for what’s shiny at the moment.

Why be upset?   The better Miller plays the higher his stock rises.   He's pushed Horvat as well.   The entire team really.   And being a very good leader.    Good grief.   Naslund was a stale crumb on the floor when he was interviewed.    Like to see some passion.   He's got it in spades.   Also is stoked he finally got a chance to play on the top six. I'm not so worried about Miller.   He either signs with us again, and helps our team another 4-5 years, or he gets traded and that loot bag hopefully helps EP/QHs/Podz when they are up.     

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes for sure.   Garland with Brocks PP time could be the smarter player to keep.   In the end i doubt it will be much more then a million a year to keep Brock on a similar deal that Garland has.     Too late too little.    I think he gets his 7.5 QO for one year OR mediation.     Also think the team is going to wait awhile longer before making any big decisions.     One at most during the draft or off season. 

I worry about Garland being so 'lil and injuries, but then again Brock gets injured too. Brock is likely better on the PP, but Garland likely better 5 on 5. Its not easy. The thing in Garlands favour is his term. 

I suspect the team may choose arbitration, but thats also kind of a rare thing to have happen. 

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I can step in… By creating a team that constantly bring in young cheap talents creating a depth that can handle the 82 games without being in steep problems as this season. 

Benning really screwed things up with his patchwork. 

trading Miller on its own won't solve that problem. If thats what you want now, then the team needs to tank. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I worry about Garland being so 'lil and injuries, but then again Brock gets injured too. Brock is likely better on the PP, but Garland likely better 5 on 5. Its not easy. The thing in Garlands favour is his term. 

I suspect the team may choose arbitration, but thats also kind of a rare thing to have happen. 

What could happen is the team gives him a deal - i'm going to say 4-5 years at close to what he's already making.   If Brock wants his 7.5 then they front load it.    Problem solved.    Garland - i love that guy.   Not worried about him one bit.   He's got a huge chip on his shoulder.   Was a good Benning signing. 

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

OK, but where is the 90pts and C talent going to come from next season if we move on from Miller? 

And please give me more than the 'step back to move fwd' thing, thats a vision, not a plan. 

It doesn't have to come from one player and it doesn't all have to be "replaced".  Bringing balance to the lineup, improving the dcorp, pk etc all pushes them forward.  It'd be awfully nice not to have to demko have a career game every single night wouldn't it?

Would you prefer Miller leave for nothing?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I doubt the team has the funds for all three of Brock, Miller and Horvat mid-long term.   Flat cap ... what bad timing. What they do have is a chance to see what they can do next season in the playoffs, and think they will take that chance.    

I'm not so sure, wasn't it Rutherford saying we're at least two years out? Next year doesn't line up with that, I think it'd be shortsighted.

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’m not upset by Miller.

Maybe that he plays worse now when we needed to really boost his numbers. 

Oh.  So your upset that he hasn't had a four point game recently.   Gotcha.   I'm upset that Horvat got injured too.   We aren't dead yet.   But i'm sure the West is sighing in relief that our odds are now very slim.   I'd direct your upset at how the point system works.   We are a better team then both LA and Dallas but they get in with loser points. 

Edit:  As an aside both the NHLPA and NHL should be pushing for a play-in round.     It's absolutely ridiculous  because the league is now so bloated,  that teams need to wait 6-10 years.   Ridiculous.   The 2000's were awful.   At least the talent level is finally starting to catch up.    Detroit now at six.   Buffalo?  10 is it?  CAR waited 9 years.   EDM 2 playoffs in 20 years or so lol.   The mushy middle might give you a shot or two.   Think the wild cards need to both be decided with one other team.    That would add four teams to it.   20 out of 32.   Used to be 16 or 21 then 16 of 24....for a couple decades.    With parity it makes a lot of sense.   And man the seats would remain filled down the stretch plus some playoff income ... win for the players, win for the teams, win for the media, win for the league and the fans especially. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If we're giving up fewer goals, especially on the PK, that'd mitigate some of that. If you're not scored on as much you don't have to score as much, I'd focus on building from the net out.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree Miller has been a catalyst, but I'd say Bo and Petey have been the backbone since late January and the numbers reinforce that.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What could happen is the team gives him a deal - i'm going to say 4-5 years at close to what he's already making.   If Brock wants his 7.5 then they front load it.    Problem solved.    Garland - i love that guy.   Not worried about him one bit.   He's got a huge chip on his shoulder.   Was a good Benning signing. 

taking an honest look at Brock, I can't see how he isn't viewed as a good complimentary piece to a team. He just can't get much more than he's making now, he's not really a core guy. And I really like him, I'm not ragging on him one bit. He's going to produce 20-30 goals, 50ish points, maybe play 70 games a year. 

So whats that worth?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

If we're giving up fewer goals, especially on the PK, that'd mitigate some of that. If you're not scored on as much you don't have to score as much, I'd focus on building from the net out.

agreed but why can't that involve trading a winger instead of Miller? sure we'll be giving up fewer goals, but scoring less too. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Bull$&!#, Petey and Horvat knows they still are the future.

Miller is just a mercenarie still that wants his payday.

Benning really screwed the ”team”…

3 personal opinions doesn't make any of your statements a fact.

• Cheers 1