The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Contending Window for this team is the next 4 years and planning should be for that period

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I was 100% for the rebuild but even Aquilini wanted a retool, it didn't mean Benning trading away 1st round prospects and overpaying every Free Agent possible to the point it ruined the organizations cap structure.

Losing Toffoli and Tanev in Free agency hurt. But that wasn't the worst of it as it lead to trading away another 1st and 2nd for OEL and Garland. So it's a case of giving up picks die to what the Canucks lost the previous season.

Point is these are the kind of moves that Hurt the Canucks now, not so much the question of a rebuild vs retool. 

Lol.  Why does TT even still get air time?  He was a rental.   We didn't "lose" him.  He was going into free agency after the TDL.  Or was he supposed to trade him right away..   What was Benning supposed to do?  Play for Brock?  Or ask Travis too? Price paid in full - even though he was injured for most of the playoffs.   Tanev - just dumb. 

Edited by IBatch

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol.  Why does TT even still get air time?  He was a rental.   We didn't "lose" him.  He was going into free agency after the TDL.  Or was he supposed to trade him right away..   What was Benning supposed to do?  Play for Brock?  Or ask Travis too? Price paid in full - even though he was injured for most of the playoffs.   Tanev - just dumb. 

He is still a focus because the team wasted two picks and two players acquiring him.

For Benning to pay that price to pick him up, he should have been signed longterm... the fact he couldn't be signed because of the CAP is a sign Benning didn't know what he was doing.  To suggest Toffoli was planned to be only a rental is ridiculous... the team was no where near being a real contender... you don't grab a rental unless you have a proven record of going deep into the playoffs... the Canucks had not even made the playoffs previously.

What could the team do with those picks and those players???

Tanev never should have been allowed to walk.  He should have been re-signed at 4.5 million... (or more likely less than that due to Tanev wanting to stay with Canucks and not up-end his family) that would have been cheaper than the $6 million price the Canucks paid for Nate Schmidt... and cheaper than the $7.26 million price they are currently paying for OEL.  Who else could they have added to the D Corps for the annual $2.76 million savings?  Just maybe Toffoli????

I agree. No rebuild, we build around Miller and Horvat and let our young guys round into form.

D is not as bad as some people think money wise or skill wise. Some people have short memories when they look at Myers and OEL, Compared to what we had before... yikes

I agree we need a solid top 4 defensman to replace Schenn, who, while doing good things, I think is really a depth piece on a "contending" team. Simply to slow.

- Probably the biggest mistake Benning made was letting Edler and Tanev walk, they were our defensive backbone and both are having great years skating into the playoffs.

Boeser has to be the piece to move, either to trade for what we need to let walk to pay for a UFA we need... Again, just too slow and one dimensional imho.

As I said in my other post, replace Boeser for someone who can skate and trade away our low value players to afford a top 4 Defenseman (Dickenson, Pearson, Poolman) and look to get bigger, faster and grittier on the bottom six. Easier said than done...

Don't see any move that can be made to sensibly 'fix' the RHS - we're missing a true top pairing on that side, and the only chips we have to possibly get something close is Boeser + our first. Which we can't afford to do 3 years in a row without having even a 2nd again this year.  We gotta hope their is a sideways move that might upgrade the second / third pair which is where we really struggled this year. If we can do that we limit a few more rush chances. Bottom pairing of Rathbone + somone better than Dermott / Poolboy ( assuming Shen stays with Hughes ) would see a few more points.

Saying that i would pay the best trainer and coaches in the bloody world to follow Rathbone and Woo around all summer !! 

I'd stay wellllll away from any high prices UFA's this year as it will only compromise the actual window when it comes again with more bad cap

Bottom 6 needs a bit more speed and PK savvy. Trading Brock for a bigger, faster winger, who can make space, win board battles and PK would see a few more points. Would love a proper shutdown center but i guess that is asking too much.

Providing our top players play like they have for the last few months + Podz doesn't slump + Hogz bounces back and our backup is a little better than Halak... then were certainly a team that makes the show, and could possibly win a round or 2 if we get some luck and don't come up against a powerhouse. No chance we can challenge tho. 

Best route to make us a challenger IMO is to continue to develop and draft really reallllly bloody well. No more lazy, dumb rapists pls !  If we could get a 1 RHD or at least a 1B/2A RHD (or the legitimate trade chips to aquire one )  + develop another useful piece or two we could be challenging in 2 years if there aren't any more contract snafus in the delicate summer of next year and our key players show the consistency they have thus far lacked year in year out. 

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

This is what gives me hope that FA has finally learned his lesson. He wouldn’t go out of his way to show up at Rutherford’s house (the guy was retired and inducted in the HOF he had no reason other than take this task on, on his terms) and beg him to run his hockey team only to have FA’s hands all over the team. We saw what he did to our last POHO and how a Canuck legend left the organization. We will know pretty easily as you said. And I don’t think FA is that dumb.

Fans would want him to sell the team if he did it again. Wonder what TL’s vision would’ve been had we not cut shortcuts. Oh well onward and upward!

Yup and most times the only way, someone will learn is to feel or go through the pain - even for a Billionaire.  

Would rather have Aquaman, than McCaw - despite his meddling.....

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think Linden wanted a full rebuild.  Sell off everything, and start building through the draft.  

I'll remind you that Linden was the one with the "Rebuilding wouldn't be fair to the twins" quote, not Benning.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bubble teams don't go for rentals. TT belongs in the conversation because he demonstrates how out to lunch the last regime was. Besides Benning himself said it. He tried to bring him back but 'ran out of time '

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Your trying to build a team to support your young core players Toffoli would have fit in nicely especially considering that contract he signed.

Like I said losing Tanev and Toffoli was only part of the problem. But it lead to Benning doing that trade in Arizona that cost the team a 1st and 2nd and having to take up OEL's massive contract. Basically Benning's moves the last offseason was an over compensation or response to the 2020 one.