The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Apr. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t believe the Stars are gonna make the playoffs. They have no business being there.

If it wasn’t for our start…

If stars have no business making the playoffs, where does that leave Vancouver?  At least Dallas wins the games they should.   

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Boeser will not be offered 6 mill, he will probably  offered 5.5 or lower

Won't happen unless he walks as a UFA and signs with another team or he really loves playing in Van and is willing to take less (can't see that happening given we arent a winning franchise atm) or we offer significant term.

The most reverse arbitration can knock down his contract is 15% (down to 6.375 million).  Either the Canucks tender him this after reverse arb, tender him his 7.5 qualifying offer or he walks.

Edited by juggmon
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If they can re-sign Boeser at 6 mil it’s the best move.

He’s still a 25-30 goal scorer that will be hard to replace.

But my god does he need to work on his skating this offseason. Drop a few lbs and work on his strength.

Yep, he needs to work with a conditioning coach during the summer.

No more parties on the lake with lots of beer.

He should be down around 200 when he comes back... 208 is too heavy.

His first year in the league he was closer to 190... and it looks like he bulked up too much.

• Cheers 1

Just now, juggmon said:

Won't happen unless he walks as a UFA and signs with another team or he really loves playing in Van and is willing to take less (can't see that happening given we arent a winning franchise atm). 

The most reverse arbitration can knock down his contract is 15% (down to 6.375 million).  Either the Canucks tender him this after reverse arb, tender him his 7.5 qualifying offer or he walks.

Exactly why we should have ditched him at the TDL for a PO team. He has NO value now for his rights. As a FA, he’s a 5-5.5m situational player. Even at that, I’d rather have a big bodied player that skates well, but may not be as much as a natural scorer; Peter needs this profile (Dickinson sucks!)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Exactly why we should have ditched him at the TDL for a PO team. He has NO value now for his rights. As a FA, he’s a 5-5.5m situational player. Even at that, I’d rather have a big bodied player that skates well, but may not be as much as a natural scorer; Peter needs this profile (Dickinson sucks!)

I don't think he had value whether at the deadline or now due to the QO situation.  No team is going to offer value in a trade with that uncertainty.

Our best play is reverse arb, Brock will likely have to accept a 15% cut and he will elect a term that will walk him to UFA, and then we have that length of time to hope he recovers his value (or recovers enough value to trade him off in the last year of his contact)

Had to miss this game. Was out for late dinner. Just checked the score. Was hoping for a miracle. Have to say... this was a special season and one of the most memorable. We battled from December to April, hard, with more heart than we've seen in years. That has me excited for next season.

BUT ... we HAVE TO sign Bruce asap! 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Pretty difficult with Horvat and Pearson out of the line up to play heavy hitting games. Maybe there'll be monies to address that come next year. Reason I say that

is because I don't think Boeser will be returning.  I use to really like the way Brock played but that was quite a while ago now.  Maybe the change of scenery will

do him good.  Just don't see him fitting in to where we need to address deficiencies.  Love his shot but he's not using it enough. Almost playing scared I would say.

I see him get angry at times but again, he walks away from it.  What it really comes down to as well is that "The Flow is Slow!  This is the NHL ladies and gentlemen,

no room for floaters.  Again, sorry Brock. You use to be an asset. Not so much now.

My feelings exactly! Pearson is an under rated player that uses his size well to drive play. He doesn’t deliver big hits nor fight, but he plays in the tough spots and is able to out muscle guys. We need to find a similar FA with a little more of a mean streak to play with Petey. Dickinson played that role well in the Dallas game, but has been useless before and after that. That Boeser 5.8m would be more than sufficient to fill that void, and leave some for a horvat and Miller ext in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Tough loss. Our playoff hopes are gone. It was a remarkable season after Green, JB and co were dismissed. Bruce, JR and Allvin turned this team into a perennial playoff team that can do damage. The poor start to the year was just too much for us to over turn. Injuries really hurt us as well especially late on in the year. Demko, Miller, Bo, Petey, Huggy Bear, Podz, Boeser are among those that had great seasons. Garland, Myers, Schenn had solid years as well. Regarding tonight’s game, Petey, Garland and Huggy Bear score tonight. Let’s finish the season off strong and give us hope for next season! GCG!

What has JR and Allvin done so far that merits that much praise? Remember that Bruce wasn't hired by JR - he came before JR. How did they turn this into a perennial playoff team? For the most part, this team is still the same team that Benning built... I'm personally expecting based on JR's and Allvin's comments that there will be a massive change in this team this off-season and am prepared for short-term pain for long-term gain. Iirc, I believe JR said 2 to 4 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, juggmon said:

I don't think he had value whether at the deadline or now due to the QO situation.  No team is going to offer value in a trade with that uncertainty.

Our best play is reverse arb, Brock will likely have to accept a 15% cut and he will elect a term that will walk him to UFA, and then we have that length of time to hope he recovers his value (or recovers enough value to trade him off in the last year of his contact)

His value was for the 2022 Playoffs, not his QO. A 3/4th is better than nothing we are gonna get. He isn’t worth the 6.3m….time to move on and get a more needed player(s).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

His value was for the 2022 Playoffs, not his QO. A 3/4th is better than nothing we are gonna get. He isn’t worth the 6.3m….time to move on and get a more needed player(s).

Respectfully disagree.  People were losing their $&!# because we got a 4th for Motte.  If we traded Boeser who has scored 20 for 4 straight seasons for effectively loose change, Alvin and Rutherford would be lynched.

Further, even if we free up boeser's 6 mill off the books, there isn't a UFA out there that's gonna fix this team (and we've seen how well spending on free agents has helped us thus far).

This team can't afford to lose assets for nothing anymore.  Given how the team handled Motte, I have a hard time believing they will let him walk.  A trade is possible, but I think they will try to rebuild value and then trade him.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Is it wrong that I’m actually contemplating rooting for Vegas just so that they can bounce Calgary first round?

I think there’s a good chance Vegas wins their final 4 and pass Dallas and Nashville…

As much as I hate the Knights I hate the Flames more…

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Is it wrong that I’m actually contemplating rooting for Vegas just so that they can bounce Calgary first round?

I think there’s a good chance Vegas wins their final 4 and pass Dallas and Nashville…

Haha, I was thinking the same.  There really isn't another team in the Pacific that will threaten the Flames. I'd rather not see them cake walk to the conference finals and maybe get lucky against a beaten up Avs team that may have wounds playing the Blues or Minny

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

lol I was thinking the same.  Is too bad the Wild can’t play them in the first round. I think they would bruise up the flames pretty badly . 

41 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Interesting that they were playing  OT pretty well to start this season, but as their 5 on 5 game in   regulation improved - their 3 on 3 game actually declined in the end.

This may be on Bruce Boudreau over-using a handful of his players already pretty exhausted from pushing to tie or get a win in the dying portions of a game.

Gaffs are made by tired players. Miller also frequently plays a very high-risk for reward style. Podkolzin wasn’t utilized at all in OT, that I recall. 

^Give the kid a chance and now! How else does he learn? 

I'd like to see more of Podz, and we will, he's had a solid rookie year

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, juggmon said:

Haha, I was thinking the same.  There really isn't another team in the Pacific that will threaten the Flames. I'd rather not see them cake walk to the conference finals and maybe get lucky against a beaten up Avs team that may have wounds playing the Blues or Minny

Knights play Sharks, Stars, Blackhawks, Blues. Only question mark there is the Blues but I think they win those games.

Stars play the Knights, Coyotes, and Ducks. They’ll go two for three.

Preds play Wild, Flames, Avs, Coyotes. With the goaltending they’re getting they could easily go 1-3.

If the Flames are smart they’ll drop their game against the Preds but they won’t. 

I think the scenario is very real that the Flames play the Knights first round, which would be hilarious because they had the chance to take them out a couple weeks ago and they couldn’t.

• Upvote 1