The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Severson, and addition of size and grit

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What other way?  Give up assets to move them? 

How much more reduced roles can guys like Dickinson and Poolman play?  5th line minutes and 4th pairing D?  haha

Giving up a late pick or taking back a different bad contract.  

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I don't think it'll be a late pick to unload Dickinson and/or Poolman.  I'd be happy to be wrong, but I think it would cost you at least a 3rd round pick to move either one of them.

How would bringing back another bad contract help move this team forward?

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think it'll be a late pick to unload Dickinson and/or Poolman.  I'd be happy to be wrong, but I think it would cost you at least a 3rd round pick to move either one of them.

How would bringing back another bad contract help move this team forward?

Maybe the player fits better here.  I'd rather lose a third than eat any cap whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe the player fits better here.  I'd rather lose a third than eat any cap whatsoever.

I guess we differ there.  The last thing we need with a depleted prospect cupboard is to give away draft picks.  As I've shown in my example, retaining on Dickinson and Poolman does almost nothing to our cap situation in the next couple years.  Still have millions in space to work with (over $6M+ next year).

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Researching more on Severson, and I believe he should be the main target for the Canucks.  Great advanced stats defensively, offensively capable, and good size.  Won't come cheap at all.  So here goes...

TRADE #1

To NJD:

Conor Garland

Nils Hoglander

Tucker Poolman ($600k retained)

To VAN:

Damon Severson

From what I've read, the Devils want immediate help up front, but also help for the future.  Garland provides that now, and Hoglander for the future.  Poolman at only $1.9M AAV is good depth on the RHD for their up and coming LHD prospects.

Losing Garland hurts for sure, but VAN gets a very good long term pairing for Hughes.

TRADE #2

To CLB/DAL:

Tyler Myers

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

CLB lost Jones, DAL will lose Klingberg.  Myers fills in nicely on either CLB or DAL. 

Now to the projections and other moves...

Assuming the cap goes up by $1M per year for the next 3 years, then a very conservative $2M per year after that (after escrow taken care of in 2024-25)...

RE-SIGNINGS

$9.2M x 6 for Miller

$7.25M x 8 for Horvat (Canuck for life!)

$6.2M x 8 for Boeser

$6.25M x 8 for Severson extension in a couple years

$9.5M x 8 for Petey extension

UFA SIGNINGS

Sign Lyubushkin at $2.75M x 5 -- defensive defenceman for OEL to finally play offensively

Sign Mikheyev or other Top 6 (Nichuskin?) for $4M-ish x 5

Sign Paul for $2.25M and Deslauriers for $1.75M (3 years each)

Keeping the UFA signings to 5 years, so when Petey and Hughes hit their prime, there's flexibility on what we wanna do then.

ADDITIONAL CAP DUMP

Dickinson traded with $750k retention.  Again, at $1.9M AAV, he will be moveable.

Miller-Petey-Boeser (Lotto line reunited!)

Mikheyev-Bo-Podkolzin

Pearson-Paul-Deslauriers (GRIT)

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Lyubushkin

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs

cap2029-30severson.jpg.12259c4b228d50aff0051c4d380534fe.jpg

This is all assuming we have no prospects ever entering the roster lol.  At some point, we'll have ELCs and young guys moving up.

Thinking Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone, Woo, and others will come along.  They will help fill in the bottom 6 and bottom defence pair (or 7th D).  For example, I feel that Woo could eventually replace Lyubushkin.

These deals allow the Canucks to be super competitive from now until the end of Petey and Hughes' peak years.

When Petey and Hughes hit their absolute peak (29 and 28 years old in 2027-28), there is a TON of cap space to work with ($11.5M to $26M).  Could make a major push then.

Big no to Miller 9.2 million X 6 years omg big anchor last 3 yrs and we are not ready for cup run for 3 yrs..Trade Miller and get younger and sign  Domi 27, C/LW to play 3rd line..Show me more deal 1 yr X 4.8 million

That's a lot to give up for one player in Severson, but I like (love?) the target. Unfortunately, he's coming off a career year and perhaps that is indeed what it would take if we are also looking to offload Poolman. (Though I would argue with that package, there should be no retention).

But this trade really does dwindle our forward depth, and sells on Hogs when he didn't exactly show that well this season. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

That's a lot to give up for one player in Severson, but I like (love?) the target. Unfortunately, he's coming off a career year and perhaps that is indeed what it would take if we are also looking to offload Poolman. (Though I would argue with that package, there should be no retention).

But this trade really does dwindle our forward depth, and sells on Hogs when he didn't exactly show that well this season. 

Forward depth isn't too bad as we would go out and sign a forward via UFA.  So really, we'd lose Hogs as depth in the forward group.  Both Garland and Hogs are our smallest forwards, so we'd look to get bigger up front.

Severson would cost a lot, but he would be perfect here.

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'll agree to disagree.  I think showing you can do what you do for a number of years in succession means a lot more than one single year ... especially when it's a contract year.

At $8M AAV, he'd be one of the highest paid defencemen in the entire NHL.

Just an additional FYI, if you look up the numerous trade rumor articles around Severson, his comparison for value was Jake Muzzin.

I'm a big Severson fan and have been a proponent of the Canucks acquiring him since around last summer. I think 6.25 is close to fair, but I could see him getting a little more. 8 million definitely seems excessive, unless he takes another substantial step forward next year, but I could see around 7.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rumor articles you talk about. Much better to just look at the teams and the situations for yourself. Regarding what New Jersey would be looking for in return - their rebuild is in a bit of an awkward position, in that they are stacked deep with young, skilled forwards, but their marquee defensemen are going to be 28 and 29. They do have Smith and Siegenthaler waiting in the wings, but you have to think they're going to want to open their first contention window under of the Hughes era while Hamilton is still in his prime. They're going to want established veteran forwards.

People are saying it's a lot to give up for Severson, and value-wise sure, maybe it's a fair return, but I think New Jersey could find better elsewhere. Garland makes some sense, but adding two more small forwards to an already pretty small group is probably not going to be the best possible return for them.

Last year I suggested something around Miller for Severson+, but that was before Miller broke out as a 100 point player. Obviously I'd much rather sign Miller at this point, if at all realistically plausible, and it probably doesn't make sense for New Jersey to give up the futures they would need to for a 29 year old. More recently I pondered if something around Severson for Boeser could make sense. They don't really have a proven trigger-man for Hughes' wing. That's really the only thing I can see from New Jersey's perspective that makes much sense to me. I mean, I'm sure they'd love to have Horvat or Miller, but I don't think the Canucks should trade them. Canucks would probably have to add a bit to Boeser, but it seems plausible.

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'm a big Severson fan and have been a proponent of the Canucks acquiring him since around last summer. I think 6.25 is close to fair, but I could see him getting a little more. 8 million definitely seems excessive, unless he takes another substantial step forward next year, but I could see around 7.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rumor articles you talk about. Much better to just look at the teams and the situations for yourself. Regarding what New Jersey would be looking for in return - their rebuild is in a bit of an awkward position, in that they are stacked deep with young, skilled forwards, but their marquee defensemen are going to be 28 and 29. They do have Smith and Siegenthaler waiting in the wings, but you have to think they're going to want to open their first contention window under of the Hughes era while Hamilton is still in his prime. They're going to want established veteran forwards.

People are saying it's a lot to give up for Severson, and value-wise sure, maybe it's a fair return, but I think New Jersey could find better elsewhere. Garland makes some sense, but adding two more small forwards to an already pretty small group is probably not going to be the best possible return for them.

Last year I suggested something around Miller for Severson+, but that was before Miller broke out as a 100 point player. Obviously I'd much rather sign Miller at this point, if at all realistically plausible, and it probably doesn't make sense for New Jersey to give up the futures they would need to for a 29 year old. More recently I pondered if something around Severson for Boeser could make sense. They don't really have a proven trigger-man for Hughes' wing. That's really the only thing I can see from New Jersey's perspective that makes much sense to me. I mean, I'm sure they'd love to have Horvat or Miller, but I don't think the Canucks should trade them. Canucks would probably have to add a bit to Boeser, but it seems plausible.

Good insight.  However after hearing JR/PA yesterday, I have my doubts about whether or not Miller will be back.  It sounds to me like Boeser will be re-signed on a long term deal, but not so confident about Miller.

If Miller is on his way out, and NJD are interested, I'd move Miller to NJD for Severson plus one of their young forwards not named Hischier or Hughes. 

I'd be mighty comfortable re-signing Severson for anywhere between $6M and $7M long term too.  He's a great 2-way defenceman.  Perfect compliment for Q Hughes.

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Problem with that is I don't think Miller fits their age group. 

Nether does Hamilton  (6 months) or Severson (16 months) really............

But IMO, NJ needs some veteran leadership, and Miller gives them that and much more

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

Nether does Hamilton  (6 months) or Severson (16 months) really............

But IMO, NJ needs some veteran leadership, and Miller gives them that and much more

Yeah, was gonna respond again after HighOnHockey's response.  It does make some sense.

If we can get Severson, I'd be definitely ok with moving Miller.  It would transform our D core.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If Montreal retains a bit of salary, we could try a Dickinson for Armia swap. 

Both underperforming, both theoretically good penalty killers.

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If Montreal retains a bit of salary, we could try a Dickinson for Armia swap. 

Both underperforming, both theoretically good penalty killers.

That's the right idea.  Benning pulled off something similar getting Pearson for Gudbranson.

• Cheers 1