The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - New Jersey - Ottawa (Proposal)

I have been bouncing this one over on HF Boards...........any thoughts?

Van out.............Garland, Miller, 2022-15th OA

NJ out................2022-2nd OA, Severson

Ottawa out...............2022-7th OA, 2022-2nd 39 OA

Vancouver IN....................Severson, NJ -2022-2 OA, , Ottawa's 2022-2nd 39th OA

NJ.................IN....................Miller and 2022-7th OA

Ottawa........IN...................Garland/Boeser and 2022-15th OA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Firstly, I think this depends on the direction of both Ottawa and Jersey. Both are struggling teams that I'm not sure are willing to give up their futures for barely making the playoffs now. With that said, I'm aware of the rumors about the NJ 2OA being available. Don't really understand their thinking there. I could see both teams making these deals, if they indeed favor winning sooner than later, as the returns seem fair to me.

Just not sure we do this. It will be hard enough to get this team scoring equal goals next year. Young guys like Podz and Hogs have to step up for any chance of that to happen. If we lose one of Boeser or Garland too, it's virtually impossible. We give up a lot with hopes the 2OA is a total superstar. I do like that we improve our D and Severson is a great target imo. I suppose it also depends on how highly management believes in the prospects available at 2OA. Sounds like they might be high on Slafkovsky.

Additionally, I think Garland is exactly the kind of player we do NOT want to give up. Cost controlled for years, and an endless motor. Yeah, he's small - but he isn't weak nor timid. Boeser is an amazing gentleman and I truly want to see him back with us - but the dude has to be reasonable with his ask. Otherwise, I'd be on board with this whole scenario, but would like to see if we can't get a bit more back. I think there will be a bidding war for Miller and I think a team like the Rangers might be in a position to give us players who can provide significant help now or soon.

I think it's a fairly reasonable proposal.

Essentially we give up Miller for Severson (RHD that we could really use) and a 2nd (either Slafkovsky or Cooley) which is great value (teams that trades stars in their 30's for blue-chip prospects have come out on top e.g. ROR for Thompson ++, Karlsson for Josh Norris++, Eichel for Tuch, Krebs+, M. Richards for Brayden Schenn+....); Ottawa swaps to drop 8 spots and uses the value to up their 39th overall pick's value to a late 1st to get Garland or Boeser, which fits a need (young, top-6 RW).  Jersey gets a running mate for Hughes in Miller who's big-time, though my only question might be why do they end up with the 7th overall, when it'd be just a drop of 5 spots and by trading out Severson and making this pick swap they get Miller, which already seems like good value when he's a point/ game guy (conservatively speaking).

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Firstly, I think this depends on the direction of both Ottawa and Jersey. Both are struggling teams that I'm not sure are willing to give up their futures for barely making the playoffs now. With that said, I'm aware of the rumors about the NJ 2OA being available. Don't really understand their thinking there. I could see both teams making these deals, if they indeed favor winning sooner than later, as the returns seem fair to me.

Just not sure we do this. It will be hard enough to get this team scoring equal goals next year. Young guys like Podz and Hogs have to step up for any chance of that to happen. If we lose one of Boeser or Garland too, it's virtually impossible. We give up a lot with hopes the 2OA is a total superstar. I do like that we improve our D and Severson is a great target imo. I suppose it also depends on how highly management believes in the prospects available at 2OA. Sounds like they might be high on Slafkovsky.

Additionally, I think Garland is exactly the kind of player we do NOT want to give up. Cost controlled for years, and an endless motor. Yeah, he's small - but he isn't weak nor timid. Boeser is an amazing gentleman and I truly want to see him back with us - but the dude has to be reasonable with his ask. Otherwise, I'd be on board with this whole scenario, but would like to see if we can't get a bit more back. I think there will be a bidding war for Miller and I think a team like the Rangers might be in a position to give us players who can provide significant help now or soon.

As always in these proposals you have to look at the entire affect and return of the proposal. I am not saying this is the greatest proposal, but this is how I see it.............

#1..............Miller and Boeser for Seveson, 2nd OA (Nemec/jJricek) 2nd round pick????, and UFA signed from cap released in the trade..... 

#2..............although Miller is a big player to replace in our offense, Severson himself will create some offense and surely improve our defense

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

As always in these proposals you have to look at the entire affect and return of the proposal. I am not saying this is the greatest proposal, but this is how I see it.............

#1..............Miller and Boeser for Seveson, 2nd OA (Nemec/jJricek) 2nd round pick????, and UFA signed from cap released in the trade..... 

#2..............although Miller is a big player to replace in our offense, Severson himself will create some offense and surely improve our defense

Looks good for all three teams.  

But JR said no step back.  So if we are Moving out Miller and Garland will JR only take back Severson to play now?  

I can see this working if we end up with Severson (plays with Hughes) and Zacha (to play 3C).  Then we can draft that Slafkoski guy at 2OA.  Or the Habs pick him and we get Wright.  

its interesting to look at the history of 3 way trades: https://www.capfriendly.com/trades?multi-team

this one would be up there in terms of value moved around. 

I don't think NJ is interested in moving Severson. I could see this being the deal, with us just getting the picks back. We'd get the cap space, and the higher pick and recover a 2nd.

Vancouver IN....................NJ -2022-2 OA, , Ottawa's 2022-2nd 39th OA

Ottawa........IN...................Garland and 2022-15th OA

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Vancouver IN....................Severson, NJ -2022-2 OA, , Ottawa's 2022-2nd 39th OA

NJ Devils are worried about a goalie first.. That will be a big trade and that might involve #2 OA...

NJ might trade for Garland contract decent 4 yrs X 4.9 mil -----Zacha - 3rd rounder

Miller --NJ ----   Holtz, 20,  W -- Woods --- 2nd rounder 2022 ----

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

NJ Devils are worried about a goalie first.. That will be a big trade and that might involve #2 OA...

NJ might trade for Garland contract decent 4 yrs X 4.9 mil -----Zacha - 3rd rounder

Miller --NJ ----   Holtz, 20,  W -- Woods --- 2nd rounder 2022 ----

Zacha and Woods are unsigned RFAs, who need to be qualified for numbers they aren’t anywhere close to deserving.  They might not even get qualified and become UFAs.  

• Cheers 1

I totally get the value of the 2022-1st 2nd OA.

But Miller, Zibanejad (using as a comparable) , Kadri, etc, just do not grow on trees. Severson type of #3/4's are much easier to get, and I believe, the up grade in Miller, who brings a heavy body, drive, versatility, and 100 point scoring is just what New Jersey needs. The goalie issue is not going to be addressed with a 2nd over all (That is just not going to happen)...ask yourself how many goalies in the history of the draft have ever been taken with a 2nd Over all? And if you suggest a 2nd Overall, than certainly a 7th Overall, would be just as valuable in obtaining that goalie.

As for the Canucks, have obtained a 2022-1st 2nd OA , allows us to take a Nemec/Jiricek type RHD, which has not been available to the Canucks for a long time, and getting in trade, or UFA market, would cost way too much. Both of these players have upside far greater than Schneider in NYR that we were going gaga about this TDL.........these guys are legit 1st/2nd type players, who would be on ELC's for 3 years, starting 2 years from now, exactly when we need them.

As for loosing Miller, and Boeser...........well we have a Cap problem and our reality is we were/are looking at loosing one anyways, so it was always in the cards. Replacing them  albeit difficult is easier than trying to get that top RHD . In addition, I believe that we would be in position next year to get a pretty good 1st round draft pick, which should be able to help replace Miller/Boeser as well.

Hey, does this proposal come with out pain? NO! But certainly it allows for us to build for the future, and add to our young core of Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin, and Hoglander.

• Like 1

I think the only way the Canucks may have a chance for second is something like this:

From Vancouver-2022 1st over all 2024 1st over all and Miller

From  NJ -2022 2nd overall 2024 second rounder and Kevin Bahl

Kevin Bahl: Defense - Drafted 2nd round 55th overall- 21 years old- 6'6  230 lbs -shoots left and hails from New West,24 nhl games.1 goal 5 assists

The only thing I see the Devils maybe doing is a deal to the Ducks for Gibson and peices that could take 2 OA out of play Two first OA in 3 years may be whats required to get their attention.If they take Garland over Miller that still frees him up for another good trade.Maybe recouping back the 2024 first round pick.

5 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

I think the only way the Canucks may have a chance for second is something like this:

From Vancouver-2022 1st over all 2024 1st over all and Miller

From  NJ -2022 2nd overall 2024 second rounder and Kevin Bahl

Kevin Bahl: Defense - Drafted 2nd round 55th overall- 21 years old- 6'6  230 lbs -shoots left and hails from New West,24 nhl games.1 goal 5 assists

The only thing I see the Devils maybe doing is a deal to the Ducks for Gibson and peices that could take 2 OA out of play Two first OA in 3 years may be whats required to get their attention.If they take Garland over Miller that still frees him up for another good trade.Maybe recouping back the 2024 first round pick.

I can see NJ going all in on a top 10 goalie in Gibson 28, 5 years X 6.4 million --- Ducks 2 OA-- 2022 // 2nd rounder 2023

On 6/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

So we give up Miller, Boeser, 15th OA for Severson, 2nd OA, and 39th OA- No thanks Canucks loose massively. You do realize Miller had 100 pts, 160 hits and will make 5.25 million next year.

13 minutes ago, Captain Cowbasher said:

So we give up Miller, Boeser, 15th OA for Severson, 2nd OA, and 39th OA- No thanks Canucks loose massively. You do realize Miller had 100 pts, 160 hits and will make 5.25 million next year.

Well..........."IF" you look at it that way, yes that is exactly what I am saying...........

But there is more!

Look at this way.................Miller and Garland = $10,200,000 next year........Severson =$4,200,000 ($4,166,666)...........So a net of $6,000,000 saved in Cap

So, let's just say we pick up E. Kane in UFA and Lyubushkin and that = $6,000,000

So, that is Kane, Severson, Lyubushkin, 2022-2 OA (Nemec) and a 2022-39th OA (Noah Warren)

That is a good day at the office in my Opinion....................all the moves are related, and nothing happens without Moving Miller for that amount

And we keep the other $2 Million extra we would have to add to keep Miller the following year...............

Edited by J.I.A.H.N