The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sign Malkin?

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

We don't have to trade him to pittsburgh, that was an example.

If we can get Malkin/or another high end UFA with Millers $ + the assets from a JT Miller deal, I feel we are better with that than just Miller.

If we are dealing Miller, I want an established NHL piece back as part of the deal, not just a bunch of shiny futures that may or may not work out.  Marino is criminally under rated around here.

Yes, you could do the same calculus saying that Malkin, Carlo, Debrusk, and Lysell are better than Miller.

… or any of the other trade ideas out there.

Agreed that a piece in one or both of Miller/Boeser moves should include a really solid NHL RHD…. And not just prospects.

I am not saying move Heaven and Earth to sign Malkin… but our connections probably put us in the conversation for one of a fairly few possible landing spots.  

40 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Malkin is still a really good player when healthy, but he's missed so much time over the past 10 seasons that I'd hate to bank on him staying healthy for a full season. With Canuck luck he'd probably miss even more games due to injury. Below is the games he's missed each season over the past 10 years.

Season - games missed

2012/13 - 17 games

2013/14 - 22 games

2014/15 - 13 games

2015/16 - 25 games

2016/17 - 20 games

2017/18 - 4 games

2018/19 - 14 games

2019/20 - 14 games

2020/21 - 23 games

2021/22 - 41 games

Hence a 35+ bonus laden contract.  One major bonus could be based on at least 60 games played. 

The good fit here is we also have Petterson to slide back into the 1C spot if Malkin misses time due to injury.  It isn’t putting all our eggs in one basket.

He could get injured and miss time like any other player… the upside is that the bonus system can hedge against that risk unlike most contracts.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Hence a 35+ bonus laden contract.  One major bonus could be based on at least 60 games played. 

The good fit here is we also have Petterson to slide back into the 1C spot if Malkin misses time due to injury.  It isn’t putting all our eggs in one basket.

He could get injured and miss time like any other player… the upside is that the bonus system can hedge against that risk unlike most contracts.

Maybe a contract with 5 mil guaranteed per season with bonuses for games played at the following

50 games played 500k bonus

60 games played 1 mil bonus

70 games played 1 mil bonus

80 games played 1 mil bonus

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think you are grossly under rating Marino.  He is an established 20+ min a night RD on an excellent deal.  Our Defense is lightyears better with him in it.  Marino is also much better than Manson, who will cash in on his 2018 abilities.  I do like Zadorov, and could see us going after him, but getting Marion does not prevent that. 

Poulin is an NHL ready recent 1st, and the #20 pick has value.

Honestly, if you are hoping for a better D than Marino, higher pick than 20, and better prospect than Poulin, I think you will be very dissapointed in the return.  Those other deal you list really aren't even close to being in the same ballpark.  Aside from the Rangers #30 pick that came via conditions, the only piece worth anything there is their 2nd.

Marino sounds like a Tanev type of player, respectable yes, but we need a crease clearer a big body that can match the big push in the crease. Those battles are harder fought in the playoffs. 

Marino is listed at 181 pounds.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Marino sounds like a Tanev type of player, respectable yes, but we need a crease clearer a big body that can match the big push in the crease. Those battles are harder fought in the playoffs. 

Marino is listed at 181 pounds.

We need both. A big, crease clearer AND a Marino type. Our right side is a complete mess as it stands right now.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We need both. A big, crease clearer AND a Marino type. Our right side is a complete mess as it stands right now.

I'd prioritize a bigger guy first. We have Dermott and maybe Juulsen or Booker to fill in.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't see why we can't get both done. We have some huge potential trade chips in Miller, Boeser and Garland.

We can't just trade them for the sake of trading them. We have to optimize our moves. I think Coach B deserves a full season with the team from last year. Bolstered up with 3 or 4 good adds. I'm not in favor of blowing it up.

If anything trade Myers for a 1st, add two formidable 4M$ dmen. Trade Dickinson and a couple of parts for a Copp or Helm. We were so close to making the playoffs last year.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We can't just trade them for the sake of trading them. We have to optimize our moves. I think Coach B deserves a full season with the team from last year. Bolstered up with 3 or 4 good adds. I'm not in favor of blowing it up.

If anything trade Myers for a 1st, add two formidable 4M$ dmen. Trade Dickinson and a couple of parts for a Copp or Helm. We were so close to making the playoffs last year.

Myers ain't netting us a 1st and Dickinson is a cap dump.

Our run last year was nice, but we cannot count on a blueline like ours together us through a full season, and this might be the best chance we have of fixing it without going into a full rebuild.

15 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Couldn't agree more. I fear we are in the minority though, my friend. Like you say, Dickinson has to go, (not the right fit in the first place). Myers will / would, be hard to move, though not impossible. Have to replace his size and grit because we lack that a bit on the back end. Luke Schenn supplied a good chunk of aggressiveness but he aint getting any younger. I swear we would have been in the playoffs had Boudreau been there from the start. See no reason to start from a position of "we'll be a contender in a couple years".

Poop on that. B) 

Coach B two weeks sooner and we'd be singing a different tune for sure.

• Cheers 1

I do wonder if we signed him, played him as a 2nd/3rd line center alongside the other Russians, what would happen. He's still good for a PPG but maybe for another couple of seasons if not 1 more year. Problem is he'd want to get paid so we'd probably have to move some big cap out and then some, but you can only dream about having Kuz-Malkin-Podz together then dropping Bo to a shutdown role with Pearson and say Garland/Hoglander.

Okay chicken littles,  the sky is not falling. Trust management with the cap. They are not going to jettison all of Miller, Boeser and Garland because those are our meat and potatoes guys.  If they can massage room from under Myers and OEL contracts, they should. Dickinson is wasted cap space.  Hunt should be gone. Poolman should be left on ir.

If we lose Pearson we will make room for a grit forechecker. 

Drance was talking about the possibility of signing Malkin a little after I posted this thread.

Coincidence or he mines some talking posts from reading the forum :D. I would too in his position to save on work.

Malkin is a bad idea.  Old guy coasting into the future.

If Pitt doesnt re-sign him we would be overpaying and he would be here without the drive required to take this team to the next level.

No old coasting expensive players please.

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I bet he’s hoping some team will give him a 3 year deal. Also think the money being asked for is over 8 mill a season. I don’t think we have the cap space to bring him in.

I would give him $8 million on a one year deal, assuming that half of that is in performance bonuses.

Just now, Provost said:

I would give him $8 million on a one year deal, assuming that half of that is in performance bonuses.

I think somebody would give him at least a 2 year deal. With his reputation and still being a point a game player. I bet he’s looking for 3 but some teams will go 2 years. You won’t get him on a 1 year deal.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:32 AM, Pears said:

Well we’d need the cap space for one. Two, Malkin would most definitely be an interesting short term stop gap if we do in fact trade Miller. And finally three, I wouldn’t exactly have him as a priority since we have bigger needs to address. 

if we can’t afford to pay JT 9mil+ per season. I’ll take a first round pic for 2023 draft. Then add a defenseman a premium prospect in return like Foote! Trade JT to New Jersey or something… Malkin At 6 mil for four years aint all that bad! Considering we signed Louis Erickson at 6 mil for 6 years! Same goes with Tyler Myers! Malkin is a far better then those two players combined when healthy! Malkin can mentor aswell play with Podz and Kuzemenko! I think he would fit in perfectly! he does have 3 cups under his stacked resume! 

Edited by KnuckleHead16

2 hours ago, alucard said:

is PK Subban UFA? if he is then would you sign him on a one-year?

At the right price id consider it for sure. If we cant acquire anyone else he wouldn't be the worst option.

Think he's going back to Montreal though. Can seee it.

An interesting destination would be Pits and that would really allow us to trade for Marino easier with Letang and Subban on the right side.

• Like 1