The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ok man. keep being negative.

everyone grieves differently. He was incredibly close with his father, and our management said he’s a sensitive person and it hit him very hard. 

the injuries he’s had and come back from have impacted his play up to this point in his career. His goals per game over an 82 game schedule has basically equated to the expectation he’s  a 30 goal scorer. 

his play last season is very explainable. He got hurt in camp, when he came back he was a half step behind everyone. And it set him up for a bad year considering his father on top of it. He didn’t look like himself in anyway. Yes he was losing puck battles, board battles, was behind the play and his shot didn’t look right. All of those were red flags hey somethings going on for him.

He still scored 23.. 

whatever you want to say no excuses blah blah he’s a person. A very young person who has a huge heart and is very talented whether you want to see it or not.

I feel like you were prolly hating on Petey too when he was in his slump before he figured it out last year. 

I hope he has a great year not just because it would be great for our team. But just so we all can poop on you here later.

All i read here were excuse after excuse after excuse.  

There is a difference between being negative and being realistic.   

No, i wasnt dumping on petey. I support players that show they can play a complete game.  I support players that will help the canucks succeed and contend.  Im sorry that you cant see that brock is a slow, poorly conditioned, one dimensional player with zero motor.  I apologize if you cant see that Brock needs the solar system in alignment for him to score a goal.  

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Perhaps this is why you are so disappointed in Brock. You are expecting a different player from who Brock is. Sandpaper? Brock? 

Obviously you'll never be happy then. 

What I expect from Brock (especially after this extension), is a player with great hands and shot who finds soft spots on the ice and scores or gets involved in scoring plays while being a decent 2 way player. I don't expect Selke play. Just responsible plays where he can hold his own and not be a liability defensively but a guy who can make the other team pay in the o zone. He is not a play driver. He will be the guy that a play driver will find or be the guy in the right spot to pot a goal. 

For him to achieve this, he must show up to camp in great shape and move his feet. 

I think if you look at Brock in terms of that type of expectation, you won't be so disappointed. Now that raises the question. Is that kind of player worth 6.75m? I would say yes if he can put up 70 pts and not be a liability on the ice. Some players have speed, grit, sandpaper but at the end of the day, they won't be able to score how Brock scores because they don't have the hands. That's what Brock is getting paid for. Although Brock has had multiple seasons averaging 0.8 pts /game or better, Brock's never hit 70 let alone 60 due to injuries or a shortened covid season.  He does have the capability to score 70 pts though and I believe management does not want to give up on a great character and locker room guy without giving him a chance to prove it. I'm with them. If he fails to prove himself in the next 3 years, sure, let him go but I believe he will silence his critics and remain a fan favorite here in van. 

Stopped reading after the second sentance. My statement about sandpaper was in response to the guy who tried to say he had sandpaper.  

Edited by EddieVedder

55 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Because of Mikheyev's speed, he's going to be able to play with a top notch player. 

Who do think he'd fit best with? Petey, Horvat, Miller? 

I think I like him with Horvat, but if we trade Miller and get a 3C who can take the defensive pressure off of Horvat then I could see him with Petey and Boeser.

Mikheyev     Pettersson   Boeser

Kuzmenko   Horvat         Podkolzin

Mikheyev could be the puck hound for the top line and Podkolzin could be the puck hound for the 2nd line.  We just need to redo our 3rd line now. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

This is the exact kind of delusion on this board i mean...  he is absolutely nothing like Stamkos in any way.  His shot isnt even nearly in the same league.   He was passed over in the draft because teams saw he had no motor and below average skating.  

I meant he was similar with that style of game, not a similar shot.Those players that if there not scoring goals, there not doing much else. Like Stamkos and Boeser. I must have been delusional to think reading between the lines was a thing. Still one of my fav's on the team.

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think I like him with Horvat, but if we trade Miller and get a 3C who can take the defensive pressure off of Horvat then I could see him with Petey and Boeser.

Mikheyev could be the puck hound for the top line and Podkolzin could be the puck hound for the 2nd line.  We just need to redo our 3rd line now. 

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out.

And yes, it depends on whether Miller remains or not. Petey, Podkolzin and Mikheyev would be worth a try as well.

32 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

All i read here were excuse after excuse after excuse.  

There is a difference between being negative and being realistic.   

No, i wasnt dumping on petey. I support players that show they can play a complete game.  I support players that will help the canucks succeed and contend.  Im sorry that you cant see that brock is a slow, poorly conditioned, one dimensional player with zero motor.  I apologize if you cant see that Brock needs the solar system in alignment for him to score a goal.  

This is the year I will judge his play on.

I agree in the sense things need to go his way to have a good season but that’s for any player. 

and he’s had some unfortunate breaks go his way that are clear explanations for drop in his expected play. Call them excuses if you like.

if it ends up being he’s more likely to have issues or things keeping him from peak performance, injuries or other contributing factors more often then not. Then that’s an argument against him I have time for. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m seeing this as our top six if miller gets moved too depending on garland as well though

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How would a third line of Pearson, Dickinson, Garland fair?  Then we still have Joshua, Lazar, Hoglander for our fourth line? 

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m seeing this as our top six if miller gets moved too depending on garland as well though

Boudreau said Garland is a 3rd liner.  It would be a waste to have him on the 3rd line.  His $5 million cap hit should be moved for help on defence.  Guys like Höglander and Karlsson can plug into the 3rd line, we also have Pearson if he isn't moved.  Lots of options.  I hope to see Klimovich and Lekkerimäki into the lineup at some point as well.  Lots of options on the right side now.  Garland is pretty much redundant...

Just now, Alflives said:

How would a third line of Pearson, Dickinson, Garland fair?  Then we still have Joshua, Lazar, Hoglander for our fourth line? 

Dickinson is not a 3C.  We need a true 3C for that 3rd line.  Dickinson can play LW on the 4th line.  Joshua can be the 13th forward...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boudreau said Garland is a 3rd liner.  It would be a waste to have him on the 3rd line.  His $5 million cap hit should be moved for help on defence.  Guys like Höglander and Karlsson can plug into the 3rd line, we also have Pearson if he isn't moved.  Lots of options.  I hope to see Klimovich and Lekkerimäki into the lineup at some point as well.  Lots of options on the right side now.  Garland is pretty much redundant...

He’s a hell of a third liner. Imagine if he actually played in the top 6 

I like Mikheyev but feel our management tried creating too much competition for the winger position as it stands you now have Pearson and Hoglander on the 4th line! Pitts just gave away Marino in a deal where NJD seemed to get him a little bit cheaper than expected by weaponizing cap space. We already signed Kuzmenko adding another potential top 6 winger into a crowded room for internal competition. I feel like management screwed up by divulging into a deal with Mikheyev when our real problem is defence. Should have been us fleecing Pitts for Marino.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dickinson is not a 3C.  We need a true 3C for that 3rd line.  Dickinson can play LW on the 4th line.  Joshua can be the 13th forward...

What about trading Garland straight up for that Pageau guy on the Islanders?  He’s older but very good defensively.  

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

Management targeted Mikheyev because he is 6'3" 200 pounds and can skate as fast as McDavid.  Those are the type of players they are looking for.  I don't think they want a guy who is 5'8" on their 3rd line.  We also have Höglander who has a similar stature but much beefier.  If we keep Höglander for the 3rd line then it makes no sense to have Garland there as well...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

Think he will free up whoever he plays with.

will open up a lot of space with his speed forecheck, and his defensive coverage. 

We want a guy like this with our skill guys, love it 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I like Mikheyev but feel our management tried creating too much competition for the winger position as it stands you now have Pearson and Hoglander on the 4th line! Pitts just gave away Marino in a deal where NJD seemed to get him a little bit cheaper than expected by weaponizing cap space. We already signed Kuzmenko adding another potential top 6 winger into a crowded room for internal competition. I feel like management screwed up by divulging into a deal with Mikheyev when our real problem is defence. Should have been us fleecing Pitts for Marino.

Our real problem is defence plus a lack of defensive wingers.  So we have 2 problems really.  Mikheyev addresses the lack of defensive wingers who can kill penalties and also a big body.  Now we must fix the defence.  I'm assuming JR/PA are not done yet.  Miller and Garland are the trade chips to fix the defence.  Let's see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Management targeted Mikheyev because he is 6'3" 200 pounds and can skate as fast as McDavid.  Those are the type of players they are looking for.  I don't think they want a guy who is 5'8" on their 3rd line.  We also have Höglander who has a similar stature but much beefier.  If we keep Höglander for the 3rd line then it makes no sense to have Garland there as well...

Maybe that’s why they haven’t traded Garland. You’d be relying on Hoglander taking a pretty big step next year