[PROPOSAL] 2 trades to improve D

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

To Colorado

Miller 1m retained + a couple of of Dries, Guiseppe, Dowling they call up Megna

To Van

Byram + Cogliano + Helm + 2023 1st 32oa

Big no for Colrado.. They don't need AHL players??Miller is the only NHL player

Byram -- 2023  3rd rounder --      Miller ----

Byram played over 19 mins a game in playoffs, great talent 21 years old.....Not get Helm and 1st rounder..Never never

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Jersey really needs help on RW, so they would probably be receptive to a trade for Garland.  I do think you are

undervaluing Conor with this proposal though.  Reilly is not a sure thing over and above 3rd pairing.

Garland for McLeod or Boquist + Reilly +2nd

Maybe stay away from Macleod until the world JR's thing is resolved. I think he's a great target too once his name is cleared. 

9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Miller is a lot to give up for another D if the answer was as simple as just get Hughes to switch sides

Not if we add another top pairing D even younger then QHs.   Sure QHs can switch sides now too.   But why bother? We don't have 4 top four guys at the moment.    Part of trading Miller idea is also about the cost it's going to take to keep him cap wise.    He's still decent at 8.5 for a few years ... decent not great like now.  That 3ish plus million is say we lose a Pearson plus a bit (his replacement - cap going up does that... so another Lazar?) .    Palatable.   But our RWs .. one is going to play their off side as soon as EP moves to center to replace Miller ... boggles the mind a little lol.   EP was blazing hot down the stretch because Miller was on his line...both were actually - on pace for over 100 points for Miller, EP 45ish goals and over 90 points last 25 or so games as well.    And Horvat was also on pace for close to 40 goals as well.    THAT is worth another shot just by itself.  

It is a tough decision.   JR and Allvin have a number in mind and it's not the same as Millers camp.   I hope they stick to their guns, because our best chance at a cup is not overpaying for too many guys.   Right now OEL is an anchor we can stomach on his own.    We went through this with the "stale" Sedin core.    Going right back to that ... ugh.   Hope not.    We need some buy in from the group.    Maybe that happens maybe not.     Cap going up Millers second year of his next deal mitigates things a bit too. 

Im not a fan of losing Miller.   But even less of a fan losing Miller for nothing ... as long as it's not a stupid trade just for a trades sake that blows up in our faces (like the Kesler deal...).    Trading good cap, for bad that is. 

Edit:  There is a chance - and it's slim but a chance anyways, that Rathbone can become our Girard/Sprurgeon type.   A small PMD that doesn't hurt you and adds  30 or so points without PP time ... for this to happen QHs or OEL

needs to switch sides.    So you may be right.   I don't want to trade Rathbone without giving him a legit shot first. 

Edit:  I don't think Miller is getting traded at the TDL if we are at or near the top in our division.   Which is a real possibility.    If we play like we did the final 25 games or so...for 82 games .. it will match the peak Sedin era almost points wise.   110 at least, with modest improvements maybe 115. 

Edited by IBatch

On 7/20/2022 at 10:21 AM, VegasCanuck said:

The more I think on things, the more I think Garland will be moved before camp to address RD.

Jersey is deep on RD, what about something like:

To NJ: Garland

To Vancouver, Reilly Walsh and 2023 2nd round pick

I think with Nemec, Walsh is expendable and I think he's pushing for a spot this year. I think NJ either has to move him or risk losing him on waivers coming out of camp.

I was thinking of a Hoglander for Walsh swap. Love Hogs, but we need Right D in the worst way. Both young and high upside for both players. Seems like a win win. 

20 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I was thinking of a Hoglander for Walsh swap. Love Hogs, but we need Right D in the worst way. Both young and high upside for both players. Seems like a win win. 

Doesn't accomplish anything for us on cap space. I was also thinking of possibly acquiring Walsh, but getting back more on picks and for Garland. I don't think they will trade for anyone though until they find out if they can acquire Tkachuk.

• Like 1

On a single note, one of the defencemen in Colorado may be up for grabs if they're trying to free up cap to re-sign Kadri, and they think Makar can carry the load by himself. They basically won the cup without Girard and he's costing them 5M so I wonder if he's available? Byram has immense potential and stepped up in the playoffs, injuries-aside I doubt they trade him. He's finishing his ELC next year and will probably pot 40-50 points on the blueline and get a nice healthy 5-6M long-term extension, they'd be stupid to trade a former 4th overall pick. I'd say Byram is low-risk, high-reward right now.

Girard wouldn't really fit on our blueline on the left side but 5M for a solid top-4 defenceman who can move well is a steal for any team, and the Avs may just look to dump him for a prospect or pick so they can fit Kadri in. All we'd really have to offer are picks and...Rathbone? Not worth it for us.