The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. A guy like Benson might fall to 11 but I hope we pass on him if he does. Small guy who isn’t very fast. ASP could be there too but he’s not so good away from the puck. I could definitely see us trading down, but could also see Allvin liking the elite ceiling of ASP. Allvin has said he wants to use his higher picks to get guys that will (can be) difference makers. 

I would definitely pick ASP over Benson if Im looking for an offensive dynamo.

And TBH Is probably go Barlow over Benson as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. A guy like Benson might fall to 11 but I hope we pass on him if he does. Small guy who isn’t very fast. ASP could be there too but he’s not so good away from the puck. I could definitely see us trading down, but could also see Allvin liking the elite ceiling of ASP. Allvin has said he wants to use his higher picks to get guys that will (can be) difference makers. 

Benson has very very high hockey iq and creativity though 

strength and speed can both be improved. He’s not slow, just average. Very high work ethic and compete. 

if he improved his speed he’s got the skill set to be an 80 point guy and drive his line. 

• Vintage 1

Im really curious where Tom Wallinder goes.  

In a perfect world the Canucks move back to get him AND Simashev.  

Both of them are wildcards-could both go in the 1st round or drop.  

Adding those two to the Canucks prospect pool would be fantastic 

33 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

strength and speed can both be improved. He’s not slow, just average. Very high work ethic and compete. 

if he improved his speed he’s got the skill set to be an 80 point guy and drive his line. 

All true, and he’s likely got lots of growing still left. He just looks quite slow, even compared to CHL players. Might be too much risk picking him? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If Benson is available at 11 I will be yelling at my T.V. for the Canucks to pick him.

• Like 1

What I want at 11 (from most to least)

LW Benson

C Dvorsky

LW Barlow

C Moore

RHD Pellikka

RHD Reinbacher

Players I like but would be a reach at 11

LW/C Stenberg

LW Cristall

C Danielson 

RHD Wallinder

The Canucks scouting staff would have to screw up monumentally to make a pick I didn't like. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I would definitely pick ASP over Benson if Im looking for an offensive dynamo.

And TBH Is probably go Barlow over Benson as well.

I can just envision Tocchet drooling with the prospect of picking Barlow.  He's a Tocchet player. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

All true, and he’s likely got lots of growing still left. He just looks quite slow, even compared to CHL players. Might be too much risk picking him? 

I remember when fans first saw the Sedins and how slow they were.  Lol 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pure961089 said:

I remember when fans first saw the Sedins and how slow they were.  Lol 

Twins are a lot bigger guys though. Benson reminds me of Lupul (RIP). Good little player with a non-stop motor, but not a guy to expect to be a difference maker. 

In the 2016 draft I wanted the Canucks to drop back and take Sergachev.  Kind of thinking the same thing w Wallinder now.  Or even take Barlow if he drops and see if you can nab another C or D with a 2nd round pick.

But ASP has a high high ceiling imo.  Im having a hard time bypassing him at #11.  Love Hughes but if you want to play the long game and move Hughes for a haul near the backhalf of his contract, ASP (if he hits his ceiling) could be Swedish Hughes.  

41 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

In the 2016 draft I wanted the Canucks to drop back and take Sergachev.  Kind of thinking the same thing w Wallinder now.  Or even take Barlow if he drops and see if you can nab another C or D with a 2nd round pick.

But ASP has a high high ceiling imo.  Im having a hard time bypassing him at #11.  Love Hughes but if you want to play the long game and move Hughes for a haul near the backhalf of his contract, ASP (if he hits his ceiling) could be Swedish Hughes.  

Unfortunately we don't have a second round pick, traded it away along with NYI 1st for Hronek.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think at #11 you need to take the big risk big reward player 

If benson is there he’s probably the only chance of getting a 1st line player 

the other guys left over will be middle-6ers with a high floor but low ceiling 

at #11 you gotta take the guy with a few warts except two: don’t compromise on work ethic (or you get virtanen) and don’t compromise on hockey IQ. 

Get Benson into Abby for a couple years to beef up and work with our Abby skating coach. With his work ethic he’ll pick up his pace 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think at #11 you need to take the big risk big reward player 

If benson is there he’s probably the only chance of getting a 1st line player 

the other guys left over will be middle-6ers with a high floor but low ceiling 

at #11 you gotta take the guy with a few warts except two: don’t compromise on work ethic (or you get virtanen) and don’t compromise on hockey IQ. 

Get Benson into Abby for a couple years to beef up and work with our Abby skating coach. With his work ethic he’ll pick up his pace 

To me high risk/high reward is the compromise. All things being equal I want a player with a high floor who also has the potential for big upside. To me for this draft I'm looking at Dvorsky, Sale, Leonard, Wood. I'm a little hesitant about Barlow or Danielson's upside, but even Stenberg and Yager have some kind of intriguing potential.

By the way, I've noticed people have been going crazy about Perreault since U18s and even McKenzie had him top ten, but am I the only one who'd be nervous as hell about drafting this guy? He just drives you crazy watching him, with the hail mary pass attempts and skating the puck directly into traffic. Wouldn't be my preferred pick at 11.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

To me high risk/high reward is the compromise. All things being equal I want a player with a high floor who also has the potential for big upside. To me for this draft I'm looking at Dvorsky, Sale, Leonard, Wood. I'm a little hesitant about Barlow or Danielson's upside, but even Stenberg and Yager have some kind of intriguing potential.

By the way, I've noticed people have been going crazy about Perreault since U18s and even McKenzie had him top ten, but am I the only one who'd be nervous as hell about drafting this guy? He just drives you crazy watching him, with the hail mary pass attempts and skating the puck directly into traffic. Wouldn't be my preferred pick at 11.

HOH. If we have a choice between Benson and ASP, which of the two has the higher value (in trade) in a couple years? Don’t D have a lot of trade value? Not that we would trade ASP. 

5 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

You're not alone about Perreault.  I saw him mostly getting his points merely being around Smith and Leonard, you put Moore on that line instead of Perreault and imo you'd get a similar result.  I like Moore though over Perreault because he wasn't on the top PP and was put up against other teams best lines. And yet despite all that still put up great numbers most coming at 5 on 5

• Vintage 1