The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 minute ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Next year’s draft is D heavy. Take the best C or Dman available. We need a young LD behind Quinn too

Absofrigginlutely. Draft BPA. Don’t do a Benning and draft for need. That’s just over the top stupid. Benning :picard:

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

And we didn’t tie up 8.75 x 8 for him 

Yup. Benning screwed us with bad contracts. Thank goodness new management understood Bo was worth way more in trade return than as an 8.5 x 8 player. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Benning screwed us with bad contracts. Thank goodness new management understood Bo was worth way more in trade return than as an 8.5 x 8 player. 

When the guy signing him publicly says we paid too much lol, Canucks fans should be happy he’s gone and what the return was 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

When the guy signing him publicly says we paid too much lol, Canucks fans should be happy he’s gone and what the return was 

Yup. “Too much money and too long a term” Bo wanted to get the biggest contract he could. Good for him. He got what he wanted. And we ended up with three pieces that are all likely better than him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

The specific draft had Mitchkov slipping to 5

WE HAVE A TRADE TO ANNOUNCE:Montreal trades the fifth overall pick and the 31st pick to Detroit for picks No. 9 and 17, all in this year’s draft.

5. Detroit Red Wings: Matvei Michkov, RW, Sochi (KHL)

GM Arpon Basu drove a hard bargain — I think he was bluffing me about taking Michkov at No. 5 if he didn’t get the return he needed — but ultimately, the price was fair to move up for one of the most tantalizing talents in the draft. Giving up pick No. 17 hurts, but Michkov is the kind of dynamic scorer the Red Wings so desperately lack. There is of course risk here, and I’m doubling down on that risk by trading up. But both the Red Wings and GM Steve Yzerman have long track records of taking the chance on Russian draft prospects. The three-year wait for Michkov won’t be pleasant, but the payoff thereafter should be significant. —Max Bultman

I thought it said max butman lol

now that would be a very interesting scenario.

would def be crazy to see 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

The closer we get to the draft, the more enticing Simashev becomes. He has size, skating, poise and is an all around great defender. Whether or not he is RD means little. In 4-5 years he should be establishing himself as the best D of this draft class and I hope he's wearing our sweater.

I know so little but what I do is very interesting. The coaches really trust him in the KHL which is pretty impressive in his own right. And from the clips he skates amazingly well for his size. Will be an interesting prospect to follow on draft day and how his career progresses after

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I know so little but what I do is very interesting. The coaches really trust him in the KHL which is pretty impressive in his own right. And from the clips he skates amazingly well for his size. Will be an interesting prospect to follow on draft day and how his career progresses after

Some scouts have said he could be the best dman in the draft, issue is he’s in Russia, and he “could be” is not the same as “is”. He will probably be number 4 taken after Reinbacher, ASP, Willander. But if some team is less risk averse maybe he goes before some of them. 

1 hour ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Dude there’s no guarantee any dman pick will be as good as Hronek. The guy is a 60 pt RD who plays all situations and is physical 

lotto tickets are still lotto tickets. People assume a draft pick automatically is going to make it, they don’t, and even if they do, few become as good as Hronek and he’s only 25. 

the trade was fine 

I love the Hronek acquisition, but 60 point d-man? He has proven that about as well as Gulyayev has proven to be an NHLer. He has never hit 40 points, let alone 60. Injury excuse doesn't fly here, otherwise Boeser is a 30 goal guy cause he was on pace to do it his rookie year and his second year.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I love the Hronek acquisition, but 60 point d-man? He has proven that about as well as Gulyayev has proven to be an NHLer. He has never hit 40 points, let alone 60. Injury excuse doesn't fly here, otherwise Boeser is a 30 goal guy cause he was on pace to do it his rookie year and his second year.

Fair enough 50 pt dman if he played 82 last year. Point remains there’s no guarantee some draft pick exceeds his talent as a top 3 dman

Juolevi says hi 

Edited by NuckLuck19

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Such a deep draft when a d as tanented as Gulyeyev is a second round pick.  Did Canucks management not know that when we included our 2nd rounder we gave them what would be the equivalent in any other year TWO 1st round picks?  This is quite devistating.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

How is it deviststing to have moved Horvat for Hronek (a 25 year old elite right shot D + New Beau - who is better than old Bo - and Raty)?

Your idea that moving Bo is devistati g makes absolutely zero sense. We are way better and have a great you D man and a great young centre prospect because of the Bo trade. We are so much better now. Crazy to be a fan who sees the Horvat trade as negative. 

My favorite part about this exchange is when "devistating" becomes "deviststing" becomes "devistati g".

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Fair enough 50 pt dman if he played 82 last year. Point remains there’s no guarantee some draft pick exceeds his talent as a top 3 dman

Juolevi says hi 

For sure, not arguing that I'd rather have those picks. Although, technically I would. I was pro-rebuild. But as far as retool trades go, this was a damn fine one. It just sucks we're still 3 great pieces away from contending. That's after the trade. But the trade in isolation is a great trade.

1 hour ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Some scouts have said he could be the best dman in the draft, issue is he’s in Russia, and he “could be” is not the same as “is”. He will probably be number 4 taken after Reinbacher, ASP, Willander. But if some team is less risk averse maybe he goes before some of them. 

Ya I’ve heard lots of opinions on him and read and seen some clips but I’ve not watched him play any full games. And we don’t have any international peer play for some cross reference.

but he’s very interesting! 

the draft order for the dmen will be very interesting 

2 hours ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Dude there’s no guarantee any dman pick will be as good as Hronek. The guy is a 60 pt RD who plays all situations and is physical 

lotto tickets are still lotto tickets. People assume a draft pick automatically is going to make it, they don’t, and even if they do, few become as good as Hronek and he’s only 25. 

the trade was fine 

The trade is only fine if we can resign him though. And my vibe check on him it feels like he's not too enamored with our team.   That's just my gut feeling.  Hope I'm wrong. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

How is it deviststing to have moved Horvat for Hronek (a 25 year old elite right shot D + New Beau - who is better than old Bo - and Raty)?

Your idea that moving Bo is devistati g makes absolutely zero sense. We are way better and have a great you D man and a great young centre prospect because of the Bo trade. We are so much better now. Crazy to be a fan who sees the Horvat trade as negative. 

I didn't say moving Bo was devistating, I said giving away our 17th oa and our 2nd round pick (players talented enough that in any other draft would be 1strounders). The Canucks had the equivalent of three 1st rounders after they traded Bo.  That was great, we got a lot back for Bo, that was a great trade not devastated at all with that.  I think the Canucks paid a steep price to get Hronek, the 17th oa pick should have been sufficient but adding a 2nd rounder as well was tough.  I really hope Hronek pans out. 

21 hours ago, R3aL said:

I couldn't help but lean to it being Eiserman.

Whereas I was impressed by Wood much more than Moore with how he played with Macklin if that comparison makes sense?

I gotta go a little off topic here, but I really think Hagens is the brains behind the operations there. I've seen quite a bit of them both already, and Eiserman has so many outstanding qualities - athleticism, explosiveness, tenacity, competitiveness, and then there's obviously the raw skills, but the one area I'm less than sold is his hockey IQ and playmaking. Let's put this in perspective though, I'm talking relative to a surefire top 5 pick and 1st overall contender. Of course I'm not saying his hockey IQ is a weakness, but Hagens is, like Celebrini a 200-foot hockey genius. We'll have to wait and see how they turn out size-wise, but for now I don't mind saying I prefer Hagens to Celebrini or Eiserman.

Inside the offensive zone and particularly inside the top of the faceoff circles, Eiserman is unstoppable, but he's another one who does most of his best work off the puck and doesn't tend to hold on to it for very long before he's firing it on net. Hagens is the one who loves to have the puck on his stick and make plays, but he also always has the puck because he does so much great work off the puck defensively that he's always getting it back. It's what makes Hagens and Eiserman so dynamite together though is that they complement eachother so well - Eiserman is the runaway train in first on the forecheck wrecking havoc and Hagens is the man back waiting to pounce on a mistake, Hagens does the heavy lifting in the defensive and neutral zones, both defensively and in transition, and Eiserman runs the show in the offensive zone, winning battles, making quick passing plays and getting to areas to use his shot.

So yeah, of course putting a player of Moore's calibre on a line with those two is gonna create sparks. He played on their powerplay unit most of the tournament too and even there it always felt like Hagens and Hutson were the ones driving the play creatively, although certainly Moore's speed is invaluable at getting to loose or contested pucks. Been watching/rewatching some footage and I still have the same question marks about whether his processing speed can keep up with the skating speed, but I'm also starting to see the excitement people have about what if he does figure it out. Floor is at least a 3rd line two-way PKing center, and the upside could be an extremely dynamic offensive weapon.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I didn't say moving Bo was devistating, I said giving away our 17th oa and our 2nd round pick (players talented enough that in any other draft would be 1strounders). The Canucks had the equivalent of three 1st rounders after they traded Bo.  That was great, we got a lot back for Bo, that was a great trade not devastated at all with that.  I think the Canucks paid a steep price to get Hronek, the 17th oa pick should have been sufficient but adding a 2nd rounder as well was tough.  I really hope Hronek pans out. 

I honestly don’t think rebuild would have been the right move. Canucks couldn’t walk into next season minus Bo Horvat without improvement in other areas of the roster. 

with Petey, Demko, and Hughes on the roster, along with Miller in his prime years, exchanging Bo and a 2nd for Hronek, Beau, Raty, and a 4th was a very good move. 

Sure they gave up a 1st but they also got a great two way Center prospect in Raty. 

I’d say Raty alone is at least worth that 2nd round pick that we traded. Chances are we’re not getting a prospect that good, and he’s further in his development curve than anyone we’d draft this year. He’s already going into his 2nd pro season. 

I genuinely feel that this trade was some lopsided highway robbery, in our favour. 

Maybe I’m an optimist but I suspect they’ll recoup a 2nd rounder before the draft. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I gotta go a little off topic here, but I really think Hagens is the brains behind the operations there. I've seen quite a bit of them both already, and Eiserman has so many outstanding qualities - athleticism, explosiveness, tenacity, competitiveness, and then there's obviously the raw skills, but the one area I'm less than sold is his hockey IQ and playmaking. Let's put this in perspective though, I'm talking relative to a surefire top 5 pick and 1st overall contender. Of course I'm not saying his hockey IQ is a weakness, but Hagens is, like Celebrini a 200-foot hockey genius. We'll have to wait and see how they turn out size-wise, but for now I don't mind saying I prefer Hagens to Celebrini or Eiserman.

Inside the offensive zone and particularly inside the top of the faceoff circles, Eiserman is unstoppable, but he's another one who does most of his best work off the puck and doesn't tend to hold on to it for very long before he's firing it on net. Hagens is the one who loves to have the puck on his stick and make plays, but he also always has the puck because he does so much great work off the puck defensively that he's always getting it back. It's what makes Hagens and Eiserman so dynamite together though is that they complement eachother so well - Eiserman is the runaway train in first on the forecheck wrecking havoc and Hagens is the man back waiting to pounce on a mistake, Hagens does the heavy lifting in the defensive and neutral zones, both defensively and in transition, and Eiserman runs the show in the offensive zone, winning battles, making quick passing plays and getting to areas to use his shot.

So yeah, of course putting a player of Moore's calibre on a line with those two is gonna create sparks. He played on their powerplay unit most of the tournament too and even there it always felt like Hagens and Hutson were the ones driving the play creatively, although certainly Moore's speed is invaluable at getting to loose or contested pucks. Been watching/rewatching some footage and I still have the same question marks about whether his processing speed can keep up with the skating speed, but I'm also starting to see the excitement people have about what if he does figure it out. Floor is at least a 3rd line two-way PKing center, and the upside could be an extremely dynamic offensive weapon.

Interesting rank on those three right now. Maybe I need to go back and watch it again. I was just so impressed with Eiserman offensively and watching Moore with most of my focus maybe I missed what you saw with Hagens. Lots of runway next year for me to se it though! 

with Moore i think he just needs a patient path. Since he’s getting a sheltered role now, and next year. He will have lots of time to develop that. And he will need 1-2 years at least after being the number 1 C on a team to really get that experience and improve his IQ and with the right coaching I could see a world he really hits. 

im just not super confident it will all go that way. And I think for him it will almost benefit him to be drafted outside of the top 10 since that always comes with more patience. Same with Yager I think he’s a prospect that’s really gonna benefit from going later in the draft. 

Absolute worst case moore is a checking winger that brings a speed element to any line he plays on and would be an annoying forechecker to play against. I’m just not completely sold on his ceiling.

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I honestly don’t think rebuild would have been the right move. Canucks couldn’t walk into next season minus Bo Horvat without improvement in other areas of the roster. 

with Petey, Demko, and Hughes on the roster, along with Miller in his prime years, exchanging Bo and a 2nd for Hronek, Beau, Raty, and a 4th was a very good move. 

Sure they gave up a 1st but they also got a great two way Center prospect in Raty. 

I’d say Raty alone is at least worth that 2nd round pick that we traded. Chances are we’re not getting a prospect that good, and he’s further in his development curve than anyone we’d draft this year. He’s already going into his 2nd pro season. 

I genuinely feel that this trade was some lopsided highway robbery, in our favour. 

Maybe I’m an optimist but I suspect they’ll recoup a 2nd rounder before the draft. 

Like I said, I love the Horvat trade, but I see them as 2 separate trades, and we got a lot for Bo.  I think Raty is a pretty good prospect.  I just haven't seen enough of Hronek to be completely sold on him  

• Like 1