Leonard

Sale

Barlow

Moore

Dvorsky

Cristall

Sandin Pellikka

Reinbacher

Forget everyone else. Canucks need one of these guys.

I thought Wood looked substantially better than both Barlow and Cristall at the recent U18 tourny. Barlow does bring a valuable PK element though to the team that drafts him. Cristall seem like a boom or bust type of player, you can have size concerns or skating concerns but if have both that's a big hurdle in the NHL.  

Gonna be a super interesting draft. 

Dunno if its been mentioned here but seems like Montreal, who regularly telegraph there picks are going with Dvorsky - which is interesting. Same sources that leaked the Slav pick last year. 

So I think we're now talking the following been pretty certainly off board ( baring country / attitude problems ) : 

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Dvorsky

Michkov

Leonard

Benson

So that would leave the open Buffet on someone likely from this list

Moore

Sale

Cristall

Sandin Pellikka

Reinbacher

Danielson

Wood

Barlow 

Yager

Ritchie 

All those players ( and a few more ) have massive upside I think, but a few Question Marks as well. 

They had a scout on S&P this morning who wasn't super complimentary on ASP outside of being a powerplay QB which we already have 3+ of so not a huge need. I think the Boqvist comparison is a good one - and not really sure its a fit. I do like the skating, skill, shot and vision, and he is a bit bigger than people are making out but still I'm not sure - Tho our identity is fast transition team. 

Reinbacher too - he just isn't really doing it for me compared to the F talent on display... yeah yeah I know we need RHD soo bad and I do think he will be a good player in around 2 years for us in that position - but is he best player available ? Not sure... 

Sale looks unstoppable at time, but his consistency is a concern - Wood / Barlow / Danielson - could be absolute franchise players or they could end up busting... 

Moore as well - that skating is such a weapon.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I thought Wood looked substantially better than both Barlow and Cristall at the recent U18 tourny. Barlow does bring a valuable PK element though to the team that drafts him. Cristall seem like a boom or bust type of player, you can have size concerns or skating concerns but if have both that's a big hurdle in the NHL.  

I get major Kole Lind vibes from Cristall and not just coz they are /were both Rockets... and we all know why no one was picking that guy :/  He seems to have dropped ~10 spots on most recent lists.

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Can't get through The Athletic paywall, but apparently some scouts believe Reinbacher is over-hyped?

I totally agree that at 11 Canucks should be picking a forward.  I just hope someone 5-10 reaches for ASP and/or Reinbacher.

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe a better Andre Burakovsky, hard to find a really good comparison to him. 

Yeah Burakovsky is a pretty good one. Burakovsky is the better skater but I think Sale is going to be better down low. Another comparison I saw on here I thought was really good was Matt Boldy.

On the one hand, Sale plays one of the more translatable games of any player in this draft, so he shouldn't be too far off from NHL-ready, but on the other hand he's 30 lbs out from either of Burakovsky or Boldy. My best guess is he'll make the NHL fairly early (Maybe D+2) but will take a few years from there to start to approach his prime.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I get major Kole Lind vibes from Cristall and not just coz they are /were both Rockets... and we all know why no one was picking that guy :/  He seems to have dropped ~10 spots on most recent lists.

I has pretty cheesed off when we picked Lind over Hague who I had ranked in the top 20 of that draft falling in. 

48 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I thought Wood looked good at the U18 too, but it shouldn't be about one tournament. Wood was gifted a spot with next year's #1 draft pick (Celebrini). 

How would Wood look lined up with Aman and Joshua? I doubt he gets into the Top 6, he's not a great skater, moves a bit slow out there. He gets to the right spots, but it would be a lot more challenging in the NHL.  

9 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah Burakovsky is a pretty good one. Burakovsky is the better skater but I think Sale is going to be better down low. Another comparison I saw on here I thought was really good was Matt Boldy.

On the one hand, Sale plays one of the more translatable games of any player in this draft, so he shouldn't be too far off from NHL-ready, but on the other hand he's 30 lbs out from either of Burakovsky or Boldy. My best guess is he'll make the NHL fairly early (Maybe D+2) but will take a few years from there to start to approach his prime.

The same source had their draft weights (not measured) at AB 176 lbs, MB 175 lbs, and ES 168lbs. So I dont see any reason why he wouldnt be able to add ~20lbs over the next 3-4 years. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought Wood looked good at the U18 too, but it shouldn't be about one tournament. Wood was gifted a spot with next year's #1 draft pick (Celebrini). 

How would Wood look lined up with Aman and Joshua? I doubt he gets into the Top 6, he's not a great skater, moves a bit slow out there. He gets to the right spots, but it would be a lot more challenging in the NHL.  

Wood has impressed me everywhere he has played putting up close to record breaking production in his respective leagues, I think Wood could play a checking role until he is ready for a top six role. After spending another year or two in college getting stronger and faster, he will likely be around 6'4" 210 lbs when he turns pro. With his long reach and high hockey IQ, I can see him developing on the third line in more of a checking role.    

17 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Chi: Bedard

Ana: Fantilli

Cbj: Carlsson

SJS: Michkov

MTL: Smith

Ari: Reinbacher

Phi: Leonard

Wash: Benson

Det: Dvorsky

STL: ASP 

VAN……….. 

I can see it shaking out that way and to me that is worst case scenario. At that point I think I go with Moore due to

position and floor. Wood, Barlow, Sale, Perrault are all great players but they are either wingers or have some sort of similarities (Raty/Wood due to them hopefully correcting their skating or playing Centre) 

I think Moore playing with speed and up the middle could breakout when removed from the shadow of the top line he had in front of him. I see similar upside with Dvorsky and Moore but I’d take Dvorsky if it was between the two and available. 

Good list. Unfortunately looks pretty reasonable and I agree worst case scenario.

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'd kind of agree with both of you. I know QQ said initially Gulyayev would be his next preferred D after Reinbacher. From a purely hockey perspective I prefer Gulyayev, but if I'm the GM of an NHL team, I'd probably have to take ASP before Gulyayev. Wouldn't take either at 11 though to be honest. I still have Sandin-Pellikka around 15. Gulyayev I have around 10, based just on hockey.

Miroshnichenko and Yurov both fell at least 10-15 spots last year. The cause of Miro's fall could be split between the Russia factor and his illness so it's hard to say exactly how much was what. For a recent reference Hendrix Lapierre fell maybe 5-10 spots due to long-term health concerns, albeit very different from Miro's. Jared Cowen, Brett Connolly, Alex Galchenyuk barely fell at all but I suppose it could be argued their injuries weren't expected to have lasting effects compared to Miro's cancer and Lapierre's concussions. All in all I suspect Miro's drop was less due to the health issue and more to the Russia factor. I had Yurov top 5 on my final list and there's zero doubt in my mind he was a top ten talent. So I'm expecting every Russian with the exception of maybe Michkov to fall upwards of 15 spots again this year from where they should go. Michkov will be really tough to pass up on any time after the first four or five picks. I doubt any of Gulyayev, Simashev or But go in the top 25, and some could even fall to the second round.

Just for fun, figured I'd do my top 5 D at each position:

LD

Mikhail Gulyayev

Dimitri Simashev

Theo Lindstein

Jakub Dvorak

Etienne Morin

(HM Caden Price, Tanner Molendyk)

RD

David Reinbacher

Maxim Strbak

Axel Sandin-Pellikka

Aram Minnetian

Lukas Dragicevic

(HM Oliver Bonk, Beau Akey, Tom Willander

Where's the forwards? :P

5 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Just curious if you could rank these players in  highest ceilings, how would you rank them

Dvorsky 

Sandin Pellikka 

Sale

Stennberg

Danielson 

5 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I would go:

Dvorsky 

Sandin Pellikka 

Sale

Danielsson

Stennberg

Sale

Pelikka

Dvorsky

Danielson

Stennburg

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sale

Pelikka

Dvorsky

Danielson

Stennburg

Everybody sleeping on Stenberg 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/2023-nhl-draft-otto-stenbergs-potential-on-display-at-the-u-18-worlds

Even after the U18 tourney I don't see him in any top 16 mock drafts.  He's the perfect glue guy for any core group.  I don't see much difference in talent level when comparing him to Leonard. Same skill set, only difference is Stenberg plays against men, but when playing against his peers he puts up compairable numbers.  He has team captain written all over him.  He's got great speed and seperation and reads the play well intercepting passes and knocking down pucks for a quick transition.  He looks very coachable and reliable at both ends. Plays a mature 200 foot game for his age. 

That being said if Benson or Cristall were to be available at 11 the Canucks should be all over that.  Cristall even though he didn't have a great U18 didn't have much in his line to work with. And even if Cristall needs to work on his defensive game it's fine.  Defence can be taught, what Cristall has with natural talent can't be taught, its innate instinct. Our development staff can teach all of that stuff but his passing, vision and hockey IQ can't be taught.  Same as size, 6'4 can't be taught either, you have it or you don't. That's why Wood gets ranked so high, it's the rare combination of size and skill. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Thanks 1

Dvorsky had a really strong tournament and I can see him going high, possibly #5.  This Draft could be all over the place because of so many high end forwards being available, 

Just a guess:

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Smith

5. Dvorsky

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Screw said:

I totally agree that at 11 Canucks should be picking a forward.  I just hope someone 5-10 reaches for ASP and/or Reinbacher.

Have drafted 7 total RHD since 2006 and have had a consistent and screaming need for RHD since about 2004...so draft another forward if there is an RHD available at our draft position.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I didn't care for Cristall much at this tournament either, and it was my first substantial viewing so not high on my list at all right now.

I'm still a fan of Barlow. Canada's coaching staff liked him a lot too, as he led all Canada forwards in ATOI. I've compared him before to Daniel Cleary (13th overall) and Martin Lapointe (10th overall). To one extent or another as prospects they brought that smash-mouth style that every winning team needs, plus enough upside to tantalize NHL scouts and GMs. Best case scenario would probably be something like Dustin Brown (13th overall) or Ryan Callahan, both hugely important players on good teams in their times. But might there be a little Jarome Igina (11th overall) there? I think the key for Barlow's development is going to be playing his own game. A lot of times teams and especially the players themselves can get anxious about the draft position lose sight of why they were drafted where they were. Whatever team drafts him needs to push him to play north-south, crash and bang, get around the net, and use his shot. If he does that, the offense will come over the long run.

Barlow/Wood/Danielson is a tough call for me. If we think Wood is a center then he's at the top of that pile and should go top ten. If we expect he's a winger, it's tougher to decide, and I'd probably go with Barlow. I also think Edstrom, Honzek and But aren't far off from that conversation.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Vintage 1