The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

11 looks like a very good spot for us to either select a great prospect or trade back a bit and collect more picks. 

Yes, with such a deep draft, the Canucks could still get really good players mid or late round and 2nd round. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Trading 11th overall for anything outside the top 15 just to add a 2nd round pick is not a good use of that pick

Maybe not, but, say they take Danielson at #11.  Is that better than taking Honzek AND Dragicevic? (as an example)

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Have a feeling Yzerman is gonna nab ASP

Edvinsson - ASP pairing

Nope. Steve and his head of scouting Kris Draper made the long journey to Austria to scout Reinbacher in the game Austria - Czechia in late April. Steve is going to hit gold again.

Detroits General Manager beobachtete Österreichs David Reinbacher im Spiele gegen Tschechien

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe not, but, say they take Danielson at #11.  Is that better than taking Honzek AND Dragicevic? (as an example)

Definitely, Dragicevic is atrocious defensively and Honzek is intriguing but trading a guy like Danielson, ASP, Reinbacher, Wood, Barlow, Moore, Leonard for that is a bad trade

24 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Nope. Steve and his head of scouting Kris Draper made the long journey to Austria to scout Reinbacher in the game Austria - Czechia in late April. Steve is going to hit gold again.

Detroits General Manager beobachtete Österreichs David Reinbacher im Spiele gegen Tschechien

So Reinbacher with his top pick? 

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

A comparison is strictly stylistically speaking. It doesn’t mean you’re getting a player that projects to produce and be like a second Brayden Point. Remember when they used to say every offensive dman plays like Eric Karlsson? Everyone would lose their sh*t. 

I think on one of the Donnie and Dhali interviews Craig Button literally said "he's going to be the next Brayden Point" which is more than just a style comparison. Although he has slid a little in Button’s latest ranking, so maybe he's changed his mind now. And again, I'm not convinced Benson will be that good, but it has been thrown around a bunch. I'm still a little cautious and would prefer some other players.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

A swede huh....shocked is nobody.

Won't mind the pick at all.  Still prefer a few other players but if he's available I think every single Canucks fan and analyst alive know that Ruthervin is making that pick

40 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Reinbacher is more NHL ready and someone the Wings know would fit the exact mold of what they're trying to build.  Could easily see it

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

in his prime edler was a horse and had canuck's all time defensemen's points record. time was his down fall, like all of us.

Yep Edler was an under rated star here. 
so when folks compare a prospect to Edler with more grit, I start drooling, cause we are so in need of that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if we float out a name like ASP to a reporter so if he is there at 11 we might get calls to trade back a bit from a club that very much wants him, but picks after us? 

Tbh ASP would not be a bad pick at 11th. He'd likely be ready in 1-3 year to cover the rhd spot we are desperate for talent to cover. 

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Trading 11th overall for anything outside the top 15 just to add a 2nd round pick is not a good use of that pick

To put it into real life terms, it would be trading away an outside chance at Quinn, or a very likely chance at JT Miller, in order to have a chance at a Boeser and an outside chance at an Ethan Bear. 

1 hour ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Detroit is more likely to take ASP in the top 10 if he is their guy. And if the odd chance happens where he is at 11, why would we trade that pick if we want him just as much

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

11 looks like a very good spot for us to either select a great prospect or trade back a bit and collect more picks. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, the trade will be made on the floor at the draft itself. 
Now if Canucks have 5-6 prospects they feel is of the same or close to same value to them, a trade down 4-6 picks to accumulate more picks may be ok. 

However, they should not devalue the pick, just to add more picks, as we need young players to enter the team in 2-3 years time to help with the cap. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

These guys are likely gone by #11:

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Michkov, Dvorsky, Leonard, Reinbacher, Sandin Pellikka

Some Options:

Line 1:  Wood - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Line 1:  Benson - Pettersson - (somebody tough)

Line 1:  Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Barlow

Line 2:  Miller - Moore - Miklheyev (some speed here with Mo and Mik)

Line 3:  McDonough - Danielson - Karlsson (If they keep Miller, then I'm not sure when the prospect will have the chance to take over the #2C spot, if he ever becomes good enough to do that. He's not as good as Moore. Designated as #3C)

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If ASP or Reinbacher are available at 11 Canucks should almost run up to the stage. A potential stud RD in the system after all these years. 

I like them both as well, but Willander screams future top 4 d to me.  RH as well.  Going to be a really solid player imo

Edited by Angry Goose
sp

Okay, scenario. I remember in 2017 I wanted Glass or Vilardi, and Benning took Pettersson. Who? WTF? That scrawny kid?!  :ph34r:  Boy, was I wrong.

So, say this year, it's VAN's turn and Reinbacher and ASP are gone.

Wood, Barlow, Sale and Danielson are available.  Allvin steps to the mic and announces they have selected Tom Willander.

Would anyone be upset by this pick?  I ask because I know little about Willander and if taking a D with those players above available, if that would be wise.

The Russians and some who didn't participate in the U18s or World Championships: (Bedard is the exception)

Michkov

Benson

Danielson

Yager

Gulyeyev

But

Simashev

Do they all drop on Draft Day?  It's easy to rank the players now, but when it comes time to use your precious pick on a player, they better get it right. I can see most GMs taking the safe pick (e.g. taking Smith, Leonard or Dvorsky over Michkov, for example)  

41 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well, the trade will be made on the floor at the draft itself. 
Now if Canucks have 5-6 prospects they feel is of the same or close to same value to them, a trade down 4-6 picks to accumulate more picks may be ok. 

However, they should not devalue the pick, just to add more picks, as we need young players to enter the team in 2-3 years time to help with the cap. 

if they move the pick it will be to gain cap space and they will probably use the 2nd pick to move another contract. allvin said that was his job to move out cap and to build a team tougher to play against.

• Cheers 1