The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Boeser? The player whose career high of 29 goals came back in his rookie season? Boeser? The player who has shown he's generally not a durable player and whose goal scoring has fallen off in recent years? C'mon man. 

This. I understand the bias on the team you cheer for but we really need to stop overvaluing our players, most frequently seen in trade proposals that makes no sense.

Boeser is that one player many Canuck fans have been over-evaluating either to justify keeping him or try to boost his trade value. CDC keeps talking about how he can still be that player in his rookie year and how he's 'still young'. There's a reason why PA hasn't been able to move his contract for some value. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I'm pretty sure that one team is going to take a flyer on Simashev in the top 15. This kid has the potential to become a No.1 defenceman down the road. Have no idea what team this could be but I have a feeling that this is going to happen.

Most important thing is to have a looonng conversation with simashev about his willingness to play in the NHL and to find out if he has the work ethic to put in the work to become one hell of a NHL D-Man.

I can also imagine that one team in the top 10 is going to pick Oliver Moore. He's arguable the best transition player in this years draft. He literally flies through the neutral zone.

I think Moore, Perreault, Simashev and ASP could easily be picked in the top 10. Every team's draft rankings are different after 5.   If more than one of these players are picked in the top 10 things have gotten very exciting for the Canucks 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Boeser is s better player and is similar age. I’d much rather have him at his cap than Debrincat. Debrincat has negative value with his QO being so high. He’s a 7 per player and that’s at the high end. No team will trade only picks for Debrincat. Sens either take back contracts or keep him. Or they don’t qualify him and take the cap space. 

On this I kinda agree. I do think he is a good player and has put up incredible numbers but I do think he is about to become a net zero player on his next contract. 

Brock is not in the same breath as Debrincat though. Kuzz is probably a better Canucks comparable. Give the edge to Debrincat for 6M as he's scored 40+ twice and Brocks scored 30 nunce. 

• Cheers 1

I might be dreaming but here’s my hope: first, we keep #11 and are all but certain to draft a difference maker; second, we trade Boeser to Pittsburgh (read about this option), retain 1.5 (up to 2?) million and get their #14 pick; third, trade Myers for a second round pick. We lower the cap and get 2 draft picks. We may need a sweetener to off-load Myers. Realistic?

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Your bar is too high. Just saying.

We are picking 11th not top 5. Yes I agree I too prefer other players to ASP who are closer in their development, but I have seen guys like Stetcher, Bear, Hughes, and Garland down low have success with this sort of bump defense that ASP employs so well. ASP makes a lot of contact all the time he's getting touches in. He isn't registering hits I wouldn't call them hits but he creates just enough disturbance that they cant make a play. I loved how often Stetcher would put guys offside with a lil bump before they crossed the blue line. To be real Axel won't be in the NHL any time soon. He's a good 3 years out which is a lot of time and there is a degree of risk associated with that which is why he is down my board but I do think he can surpass a Hronek level player. He's not completely defensively deficient like a Jordan Subban he actually competes quite hard, he's just built like 14 yearold right now. I guess I just don't understand how you could be so high on a guy like Lekkerimaki 7th OA on your board who isn't a Patty Kane, DeBrincat, Point etc but hold ASP to a Makar, Hughes or Fox standard? 

You say my bar is too high, I say there's better players available. I don't set the bar. The draft class sets the bar. He might be a top ten prospect in other drafts. I don't think he is in this one.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

27 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

This. I understand the bias on the team you cheer for but we really need to stop overvaluing our players, most frequently seen in trade proposals that makes no sense.

Boeser is that one player many Canuck fans have been over-evaluating either to justify keeping him or try to boost his trade value. CDC keeps talking about how he can still be that player in his rookie year and how he's 'still young'. There's a reason why PA hasn't been able to move his contract for some value. 

Bang on. 

I like Boeser, he seems like a stellar human, but he's a complimentary second line winger whose scoring has become a concern in recent years. To his credit he's quietly gone about his business and continued to put up second line totals but he's not a play driver and he's looking like a more of a 20ish goal scorer than the 30-40 goal guy we were hoping he'd develop into. 

Now, those players still have value around the league but he's currently overpaid for what he brings. He's not in the same bracket as a DeBrincat over the past few years, who has been more in that 30-40ish goal range. Guys who can put the puck in the net are valuable around the league, especially when they're in their mid to late 20's. I understand concern about qualifying offers but they don't always end up reflecting what a player actually gets, lot of teams work out deals as opposed to riding out qualifying offers. 

I'll leave it at that though as this is a draft thread as opposed to a Boeser thread. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I am a little confused by your position on ASP ( Not to say we should draft him) But I would say a 40 to 50 point defenseman, who is solid  in his own end, is an above average defenseman.  I would go further and say that is a #2/3 Dman. I totally agree there might me better choices, but all those choices in and around #11, are not Bedard, or Michkov, and are not thought to be elite. I would go as far as to say that after 7 or 8, there are no elite players, but only good above average players in the next 5 or 6.

I am just not sure, your words and expectations are fair, in regards to those player comparisons in and around #11

More a observation on the realities of how hard it is to find  a 40 - 50 point RHD man who is solid in his own end.

Hey JIAN 

Gonna call ya, who do you think we should draft and why.

I have made it pretty clear that I want a centre, I feel it not only fits our need, also the quality of player available is higher. 

Like HOH I am not totally sold on ASP, I could be totally wrong, however.....

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, recent comparables like Soderstrom, Boqvist, Brannstrom have gone 11th, 8th, and 15th. Obviously I'm not saying Pellikka would be an awful pick at 11. I just wouldn't be particularly happy about it. The strength of a draft class varies, and to me the top 15 forwards in this class are unusually strong. If you tell me you'd be happy with Sandin-Pellikka while Barlow, Benson, Sale, Honzek are on the board then that's your all well and good. Wouldn't be my preference.

I think you have to keep in mind that this is a strong draft and ASP is still talked about in the top 15 even by you. I am not saying take him. But Buttons, Mckenzie, etc all have him ranked in and around the 11th pick. Personal preference aside, and noting what you had said earlier, about him being solid defensively and a 40 - 50 point player.

IMO, it all depends on who has been picked before Number 11. If he is there, I am not sure how you can not consider him.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Hey JIAN 

Gonna call ya, who do you think we should draft and why.

I have made it pretty clear that I want a centre, I feel it not only fits our need, also the quality of player available is higher. 

Like HOH I am not totally sold on ASP, I could be totally wrong, however.....

Hey, I am not saying HonH is wrong.....or you for that matter, what I am saying is that he is in that area of the draft. Give or take. And as HonH said, the top 15 are really good.

As for my pick. It totally depends on who is on the table.............

IMHO, we have time to develop a 2nd line center............we can not continually ignore the absence of top RHD in our organization.

In and around 11.........I would go Reinbacher, ASP, Dvorsky, and Danielson in that order............then pray for 2 to 3 years!

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Who should the Canucks pick if both were available?  Dvorsky or Reinbacher.

I'd probably go Reinbacher. I'm not entirely sold on Dvorsky's ceiling. They would both be solid picks though ranked higher than 11.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Hey, I am not saying HonH is wrong.....or you for that matter, what I am saying is that he is in that area of the draft. Give or take. And as HonH said, the top 15 are really good.

As for my pick. It totally depends on who is on the table.............

IMHO, we have time to develop a 2nd line center............we can not continually ignore the absence of top RHD in our organization.

In and around 11.........I would go Reinbacher, ASP, Dvorsky, and Danielson in that order............then pray for 2 to 3 years!

Thanks for the reply.

Reinbacher is closer to actually playing in the NHL however he is at the very least 3- 4 away from being a true top four playing those minutes and responsibilities involved with that Role.

ASP is further. 

I just feel the risk involved with Dvorsky and Danielson hitting their floors is less than ASP and Reinbacher hitting theirs. 

As for ceilings I think the risk for all those players is very similar.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks for the reply.

Reinbacher is closer to actually playing in the NHL however he is at the very least 3- 4 away from being a true top four playing those minutes and responsibilities involved with that Role.

ASP is further. 

I just feel the risk involved with Dvorsky and Danielson hitting their floors is less than ASP and Reinbacher hitting theirs. 

As for ceilings I think the risk for all those players is very similar.

Well, I kind of agree with you about the risk, as with them all!

But when are we going to draft a RHD? Do we pray one of our 3rds, does the trick? I mean, we do not have any friggin 2nds, which just puts us further along before picking a RHD.

I think, that it is very easy to pick an elite RHD, or an offensive forward...........not so easy on the rest

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think you have to keep in mind that this is a strong draft and ASP is still talked about in the top 15 even by you. I am not saying take him. But Buttons, Mckenzie, etc all have him ranked in and around the 11th pick. Personal preference aside, and noting what you had said earlier, about him being solid defensively and a 40 - 50 point player.

IMO, it all depends on who has been picked before Number 11. If he is there, I am not sure how you can not consider him.

5 - 15 maybe 20 is all over the place.

Size v skill, Centre v winger, rare RHD. 

Still I can't wait for our CDCGML draft to get our shiny new toys !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ilunga said:

5 - 15 maybe 20 is all over the place.

Size v skill, Centre v winger, rare RHD. 

Still I can't wait for our CDCGML draft to get our shiny new toys !

Yeah..............I have 3, 8 and 27 in the first round..................I am hoping  Micjkov falls to 8......................Carlsson, Michkov would be unbelievable!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, I kind of agree with you about the risk, as with them all!

But when are we going to draft a RHD? Do we pray one of our 3rds, does the trick? I mean, we do not have any friggin 2nds, which just puts us further along before picking a RHD.

I think, that it is very easy to pick an elite RHD, or an offensive forward...........not so easy on the rest

Earlier in the thread a few of us have pointed out a few great targets in the 3rd and 4th Rounds.

I totally agree with you

I will bang on about trading our second round picks consistently.

There are some really great targets....sigh....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yeah..............I have 3, 8 and 27 in the first round..................I am hoping  Micjkov falls to 8......................Carlsson, Michkov would be unbelievable!

I am green with envy !

Franchise changing draft for you. 

Even your 27th has the potential to be a top line player....ooops.....

25 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Hands down Dvorsky. 

That's just my personal opinion.

I have done so much scouting on this kid and he fits our needs.

Apart from his hockey skills and his IQ, his work ethic is off the charts and apparently he is a great person.  

As the scouting reports I posted state, his floor is second line match- up centre, if he can add a little more offense a top line centre, for sure not elite, but still top line. 

I know some have their doubts and $hit who knows, only time will tell.

I've heard some comparisons to Kopitar. His skill and physicality are clearly seen but his production hasn't been there.  Hard to say.