The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

18 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

This is just not true. Leo Carlsson, Adam Fantilli, Matthew Woods, Eduard Sale, Dalibor Dvorsky, Calum Ritchie, Colby Barlow. Even Smith, Yager and Leonard are 6'0. The only small forwards in the top 10 are Michkov, Bedard and Benson. Possibly Moore or Cristall could slip in there, but the calling card for the top of this draft has always been the quality and quantity of 6'0+ centers.

I was responding to the person asking for size and a meat and potatoes hockey player. Just because your 6’ feet doesn’t necessarily mean you play big. I was assuming we would select in the 6-8 range where Carlson and Fantilli would be gone. 

25 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sidney Crosby and Peter Forsberg are kind of the proto-types for this type of player, using edges and a low center of gravity to spin off checks down low. It's not about avoiding contact either, very much the opposite, actually for them it is about absorbing the contact and accelerating into it. Most of the best players in the league incorporate this style to some degree now days.

Crosby sure did, and still does to some degree. Good notice.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Hes no elite prospects pulls the numbers form HC Sochi KHL wrbsite

178 cm tall which is 5 ft 10

and 67 kg which is 147 lbs.

If thats is actual weigh he must be just shredded and he will be a lot heavier in a few years. And to be effective in the VHL and KHL at that weight and age is amazing.

Ahh, you're correct, I read it wrong on the site.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Isam said:

Better playmaker and has a willingness to stir shit up and a willingness to change his game to a bottom 6 guy if he has to. Kyle just couldn't do that.

Kole I think you mean Kole did basically have the same report card. Kole didn't take the next step Kalen might I wouldn't write him off based on his brother's accomplishments or lack thereof. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, hammertime said:

Kole I think you mean Kole did basically have the same report card. Kole didn't take the next step Kalen might I wouldn't write him off based on his brother's accomplishments or lack thereof. 

Lol yeah, but Kalen does have a bit more snarl.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet knows it's hard to win in the league with guys "spinning" to avoid contact. If Michkov is a "top" (like Garland) than it's a guy we don't want. I like Carlsson. He's a big body who has elite skill, skating, smarts, and compete. He will go at 2OA though. 

Top players in the league Alf have the ability to create space using multiple options such as spinning away from checks. When you watch bedard and michkov, you got to watch their agility in how they can change directions or turn on a dime at will. The great players can seem to truly do this at will. Now combine, this michkov's insane hockey iq, you got a truly special player. He isn't Garland, the best comparable for him is Pavel Bure.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

So looks like NYI suck since we beat them then MTL then OTT things aren't looking good for us getting that pick this year. As bad as things are going for them this year they are only going to get worse next year when Bo turns back into a 8.5m pumpkin and Barzal notches up to 9m. They have 54M locked in their forward group next year. BAHAHAHA

I see more flashy small players that don't interest me too much. 

How do Artyom Levshunov and Adam Jiricek look?? 

Any starchy C's standing out??

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So looks like NYI suck since we beat them then MTL then OTT things aren't looking good for us getting that pick this year. As bad as things are going for them this year they are only going to get worse next year when Bo turns back into a 8.5m pumpkin and Barzal notches up to 9m. They have 54M locked in their forward group next year. BAHAHAHA

For 2024. Looking at d and particularly kviharju. Celebrini will be a C just trying to figure out if he is a Bergeron or a high scoring number one

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Emil hemming I think will make a rise in 2024 and he fits your type of center

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Isam said:

For 2024. Looking at d and particularly kviharju. Celebrini will be a C just trying to figure out if he is a Bergeron or a high scoring number one

Kivi's cool loads of hype. Small offensive LHD we have one. 

Celebrini looks real good. If we take that BPA Michkov, Benson, Smith flashy fwd this year are we just filling up on desert? 

Just now, hammertime said:

Kivi's cool loads of hype. Small offensive LHD we have one. 

Celebrini looks real good. If we take that BPA Michkov, Benson, Smith flashy fwd this year are we just filling up on desert? 

True, but those kids are still growing and kivi is legit. He is looking to me to more of a heiskenen then Hughes.

• Cheers 1

My response doesn’t want to come below ur quote lol

i think they will miss the playoffs and we will still get a pick this year.

their roster and goaltending is too good on paper to fall below the teams under them I think.

Really hope we get that pick 13-15

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

My response doesn’t want to come below ur quote lol

i think they will miss the playoffs and we will still get a pick this year.

their roster and goaltending is too good on paper to fall below the teams under them I think.

Really hope we get that pick 13-15

I kinda hope so too there are some starchy guys in that range and the sooner we get them in the system the better. 

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I kinda hope so too there are some starchy guys in that range and the sooner we get them in the system the better. 

Gonna be interesting. If we go for michkov with our pick, I wouldn't mind adding some starch with simashev with the isles pick, then go with bonk with our second. For 2024 we can take the risk on a center there, but damn, kivi looks good.

• Like 1

Going to be such an interesting Draft with the extra picks and there could be more! If they trade Schenn, good chance another 2nd comes back. Same with Brock or Myers, could bring in more 2nds or 3rds.

I was thinking with the extra picks they could package some to move up, but would that be a good decision?  Maybe not, seeing as some players will drop and the Canucks could get their guys anyway. 

for fun, an example of the 3 picks

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Michkov(1a)

Sale (1b) - Raty - Lekkerimaki

Hughes -  Bonk (2)

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Exactly I think this tier of 2023 draft >>> the 2024 and we get the kid a year sooner.

Honestly if ASP is there I think we take him. 

But could be wrong!

And I just really hope with 2 / 3 picks we at least get a great C prospect and at least 1 RHD prospect preferably 2 in the top 60. Hope we add a second round pick at least before the deadline.

What I want most:

our first pick, 1 of:

Bedard / Fantili / Michkov / Carlsson / Smith / Benson

NYI Pick, 1 of:

ASP / Dragicevic / Reinbacher / Danielson (But if a Moore / Barlow / Leonard slipped to here that would be hard to ignore)

Our Second Pick, 1 of:

Willander / Bonk / Akey / Brzustewicz / Asplund 

-

So the dream for me would be:

Bedard / Dragicevic / Willander

That would be amazing. And I am really high on Lukas now. But drafting 2 hometown kids high together wonder if it would be too much pressure distraction for them.

I know some guys on here like Ritchie but I am not a fan. I like Nate Danielson over him for that tier of C. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Going to be such an interesting Draft with the extra picks and there could be more! If they trade Schenn, good chance another 2nd comes back. Same with Brock or Myers, could bring in more 2nds or 3rds.

I was thinking with the extra picks they could package some to move up, but would that be a good decision?  Maybe not, seeing as some players will drop and the Canucks could get their guys anyway. 

for fun, an example of the 3 picks

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Michkov(1a)

Sale (1b) - Raty - Lekkerimaki

Hughes -  Bonk (2)

Maybe man, it has been a long time since I had this much fun speculating.  We are gonna suck for a bit, but now there is some hope.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

This is just not true. Leo Carlsson, Adam Fantilli, Matthew Woods, Eduard Sale, Dalibor Dvorsky, Calum Ritchie, Colby Barlow. Even Smith, Yager and Leonard are 6'0. The only small forwards in the top 10 are Michkov, Bedard and Benson. Possibly Moore or Cristall could slip in there, but the calling card for the top of this draft has always been the quality and quantity of 6'0+ centers.

Of the players, you mentioned only Ritchie, Smith, and Devorski are bonafide C's outside of the top 3. I'm not a big Devorski fan and I think it's pretty debatable that he is to be considered a top 10 pick most rankings have dropped him 10-20 I think his passive play will continue to see him fall. Regardless of the fact that I still have Ritchie high on my board, his mediocre production has him ranked in the mid to late 1st. 

That leaves us with Smith sure he meets the 6' measuring stick. Lets be real though he ain't a bulldozer and aside from that I think it's pretty unlikely he will be there at 6/7th

So I am curious in your opinion are there any 200ft C's with some nasty to their game that you would consider worthy of that 6/7th pick consideration?