The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Lineup

Doogie

Now with JT Miller signed let’s take a look at potential lineups for the upcoming season. 

Pearson - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Mikheyev - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Lazar - Joshua/Lockwood

Hughes - Dermott

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Our forward group is deep but the defence is meh. The reason I put Dermott with Hughes is because I feel Schenn could do for Rathbone what he did for Hughes. 

I don’t like Hoglander on the fourth but if there are no plans to trade a forward for a Defenceman then I guess he’d have to start on the fourth. 

I honestly believe if there is a trade to be made involving one of forwards (Garland) to improve the defence, it’d come either prior to training camp or shortly before the start of the season. As much as I wouldn’t want to trade Garland, I think he’s the only one that could help improve our defensive shortcomings. 

What do you think? What’s your opening night lineup? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I’m honestly pretty confident that this is what we’ll see Bruce try going into camp. 

Mikheyev - Petey - Podz 

Kuz - Miller - Boeser 

Pearson - Bo - Garland 

Hog - Lazar - Joshua 

Hughes - OEL 

Dermott - Myers 

Rathbone - Schenn

That's the best lineup yet!!  Perfect in my eyes.  I like Hogs on the 4th as a feisty skilled scoring winger, Mikheyev as the speed, with the defensive acumen beside petey and trying OEL on the right with Hughes.  Schenn as the perfect partner for Rathbone on 3rd pairing.  Looks realistic and solid! 

Edited by Hogs & Podz

7 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

That's the best lineup yet!!  Perfect in my eyes.  I like Hogs on the 4th as a feisty skilled scoring winger, Mikheyev as the speed, with the defensive acumen beside petey and trying OEL on the right with Hughes.  Schenn as the perfect partner for Rathbone on 3rd pairing.  Looks realistic and solid! 

Those are pretty much my thoughts, and most of those include combinations we saw for a lot of last season too: 

Petey - Podz (from the end of last season) 

Miller - Boeser (been a staple of a combo for the last 3 years) 

Pearson - Bo (duh) 

The only question is where the new guys fit in. I think Kuz with Petey is a really risky move, and I see Mikheyev’s tenacity rubbing off really well on Podz. Kuz is mainly a playmaker, and both Miller and Boeser know how to shoot. Then, Garland with Bo and Pearson is the best possible 5v5 combination on the team. I could see Bruce try Mik - Bo - Garland but Pearson and Bo are basically bread and butter. 

Hogs on the 4th line is mainly because there’s nowhere else for him to go in all honesty. Rutherford has said he wants Joshua to get as big of an opportunity as possible to play (even on the third line), so he’s in. Dickinson is a logical rotation with Hogs if he struggles defensively. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Hogz may have to start in the AHL to save cap.

Poolman's health is one of the biggest question marks at this point.

We won't need to give up the farm for an RHD if he is good to go.

Somewhat similarly, Dickinson's return to form could solve some lineup issues.

And both of these guys might become able to trade (without sweeteners) if they can recover.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Podkolzin

Pearson - Lazar - Mikheyev

Dickinson - Joshua - Lockwood

Hughes - ?

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Dermott

Garland traded

Hoglander in Abbotsford

Poolman on LTIR

It will be interesting to see where Hogz ends up. He is the wildcard in my mind.

I'm not high on Lockwood. Guy is tiny.

Don't like Lazar as a #3 center but whatever. 

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Garland

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin

Dickinson - Lazar - Joshua

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Burroughs

Demko

Martin

We’re a top 4 RD away from making a pretty good push this year imo. 

i want to see kuzmenko on BO's line to make sure that doesn't end up a checking line . like mikheyev on petey's line, giving a stronger defensive presence on that line.  podkolzin with JT, so JT can mentor pods. boeser, garland, pearson, dickinson and hoglander on  the line that they best complete them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1