The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 19 players - Oct. 08, 2022

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

They're similar in size, but not sure if Valimaki is known for toughness. Just a hypothetical thought of mine. 

Valimaki - 24 - 6'2 -212 lbs -LD- Fin-- I watched him lots in WHL he is very skilled but not a gritty guy.. Something like Edler big guy but not looking for fights. Just finished check .. I think he would help lots of team but Calgary has top 3 defence in NHL now..

He doesn't fit Sutter style..

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Valimaki - 24 - 6'2 -212 lbs -LD- Fin-- I watched him lots in WHL he is very skilled but not a gritty guy.. Something like Edler big guy but not looking for fights. Just finished check .. I think he would help lots of team but Calgary has top 3 defence in NHL now..

We do not need any more ld we need Rd if we pick any up.

8 hours ago, GB5 said:

Wolanin outplayed Rathbone in pre season but so it goes I guess.

Rathbone doesn't look ready this preseason, and that's ok. Is there any thing with regards to waiver status that they have to be worried about?

13 hours ago, wildcam said:

He won't make it to Van anyway, imo

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He won't make it to Van anyway, imo

Of course he won't make it to Vancouver as Canucks made a trade for  Stillman 24 - LD...

Never said Vancouver would be after him.. Vancouver will wait for more waiver wire players there will be a few RD men available..

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Rathbone doesn't look ready this preseason, and that's ok. Is there any thing with regards to waiver status that they have to be worried about?

He's waiver exempt for this upcoming season. I also don't believe there are any bonus implications as he signed a new contract, though I could be mistaken. 

Hot take: with the acquisition of Stillman, I have a feeling Rathbone will be trade bait once Dermott returns from injury. Obviously having defensive depth is great, but the left side haa gotten pretty crowded. In debateable order:

Hughes

OEL

Stillman

Dermott

Wolanin

Rathbone 

Brisebois

Kalynuk

They also have a pretty left side Heavy reserve list and a few LD on AHL contracts/try outs. Should make for an interesting story.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Mark Friedman, RHD, Pittsburgh Penguins

26, 5’11”, 185lb, $775K AAV

League
Team
Games
Goals
Assists
NHL
Pittsburgh
Call Friedman the least exciting, but perhaps most practical pickup on the list. He’s been a borderline NHLer since 2019, and plays a safe, simple game that is best suited for the bottom pairing. Friedman skates well, defends effectively, and doesn’t get cute with the puck very often. He’s not a long-term solution by any means, but if the Canucks are looking for someone to eat a few extra minutes on the right side of their blueline, Friedman is a safe bet to do so.

Was just about to post about Friedman before I saw your post.

Definitely think there's a decent chance the Canucks take a flyer - Allvin was part of Hextall's staff when the Pens picked him off waivers. League min deal right now. Very good as a #7-8. Lots of competitive drive; upper echelon of blocked shots per 60; some time spent on Pens 3rd placed PK last year when he played; a hit per game; some 'pest' tendencies to his game (from Bowling Green--some Bieksa vibes to some degree IMO lol). Right-handed. Some under rated offensive abilities/reads that haven't been given a chance at the NHL; good mobility. Not "huge" but as he says below not afraid of going against the biggest player on the ice. I'd consider taking a flyer at the price, can always be waived again if not a fit.

image.png.0d1c5e08979fc925e9dd057b81cb1860.png

https://twitter.com/futureofphilly/status/1256597562334892032?s=20&t=S9g9zVAA-brmZgyS8M10Bw

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Cheers 1