The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should team look at signing a new assistant coach?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Don't forget to blame JR for NOT fixing the defence - which is Problem No. 1 on this team.    HE FAILED COMPLETELY ON THAT FRONT!

Lol.  Dude.  I seriously said when JR was hired - you'd be screaming at JR by the fall, or our first losing streak.   Thanks for being so predictable.   Not sure why your screaming (ok well i am) you got your wish.  Both Benning and Green are gone.  Can you please wait until next off season at least. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol.  Ok.  Wish i had your inside track.   Like i said, the further this goes on, the more likely Green garners some interest. He's not disliked around the league like MG.   Most hockey writers with no skin in it, didn't think he deserved his fate.   Just the CDC.  If Mike freaking Yeo gets 9 lives...well one of the 3 teams that were also in the running for Green before he until his last season, probably overachieved, might find him as a candidate.  Ive watched hockey long enough to see a lot of guys get second chances.   It's not like he didn't coach for a decade before he got the big job.   

Well I was pretty much the first one to pick Burtows as a coaching prospect but I think Walker has the inside fire to communicate well. Walker was good for us last year. Green seemed too intellectual poker player, and always had a tentative look in his eyes. 

But really let go of Green I think he's too soft or wishy washy in the locker room. 

Yeo, not sure what he is doing but send him to Abby.  Boudreau had us going last year now all his new coaches aren't helping.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well I was pretty much the first one to pick Burtows as a coaching prospect but I think Walker has the inside fire to communicate well. Walker was good for us last year. Green seemed too intellectual poker player, and always had a tentative look in his eyes. 

But really let go of Green I think he's too soft or wishy washy in the locker room. 

Yeo, not sure what he is doing but send him to Abby.  Boudreau had us going last year now all his new coaches aren't helping.

I was stoked when Walker was on our bench.   That guy had more heart in his pinky finger, then most guys on the current roster.   What a terrible loss to our team, why Burke let Keenan get away with keeping Zezel over Walker ... well he sure wasn't happy about it but relented.   Then of course Walker became a key player in Nashville's early years, and proved he could play the game not just grind, pester and fight.   

That said it's now two coaching staffs with virtually the same team.   Get that Green was left with garbage PKers ... and that for whatever reason, both Brock and EP didn't come to play.   Even still, 5 x 5 we were good.   And most games lost by a goal and or an empty netter. 

One thing you didn't see with Green, or rarely anyways, was lack of effort.   

I think a lot of fans, never did any research, other then a basic wiki or something, over why Green was hired.   Virtually every person the team contacted to get information about him said the same thing "he's the hardest working coach".   Personally I liked that about him.   The other thing was his cerebral approach aligned with his other tools.   Was penciling down and keeping track of zone exits and entries before it was even a thing.

NHL.com did a good job of analyzing the coaching change, and why the Bruce Bump was a good as it was.   Starting with Green is a good coach, he's proven himself - and not as bad as the record showed.   A mercy firing would have been more appropriate.   But actually respect JB went down with the ship as he should have.   They went on to explain the defensive lessons, that Green was working hard on (again 5 x 5 the team was very decent - as was the effort,  we did win 2/3 his last games too, looked to be turning the corner) didn't just disappear the moment Bruce arrived lol.  Of course they didn't.   What would the coach teach in one practice anyways. 

What worked was Bruce unleashing all the mental stuff over such a rigid system, and gave the team his blessing to "just go out and play the f!cking way you know how to f!cking play, and my door is always f!cking open, if you want to try something then try it but if you f!cking can't do it then you won't be f!cking doing it for long " paraphrased probably more f-bombs lol, and the last bit was for QHs and EP on the PK.   Looks like EP actually is quite good with Horvat ... QHs mixed results, but still better then other options.  

Green over achieved most of his time with us.   Our team was rebuilding.   And proved he could be good with young players as well, Brock, EP and QHs were ALL given the minutes to succeed.   Pearson's... he was at risk of getting waived when he came, and sung a lot of praises towards Green, for saving his career.   So it wasn't all bad.   I think Green has deserves another crack at it elsewhere.   He's smart enough to know he f!cked up trying to find the right plug (Chiasson..he did find the right plug though) over using the pre-season so the 7 or so new guys had time to gel.   And next time, maybe not hitch your wagon to your favourite team, or a rebuilding one.   If he does get an offer and does accept one, most likely it would could from a rebuilding team though.    This team should be better then it was last season, based on core ascension and how we played the second half ... so far it is not, however it's becoming pretty evident, coaching isn't the issue some thought it was too.  

I figured we'd be somewhere in the middle, between Greens best efforts and Bruce's worst.   Right around where others predicted - 2-5 in the division, most 3-5 or 7-9th in the conference.  Not the 4th we would have been IF the team could do 82 Bruce bump games.    Possibly that still happens ... but they have dug themselves a big f off hole.  Maybe that's the only way they know how to do it.   With immense pressure.   I hope so.   Because that would mean ALL they have yet to figure out as a team - is it takes ALL of them putting 110% every game.   Not just a couple guys.    Would be a good start on the road to recovery - but we still need a hockey trade or two to create the roster we'd need to succeed.   

Edited by IBatch

Someone might as well start a new head coach poll or something.  At least we can try and reverse jinx it. I hope Bruce stays for now.

But last year i still think we need a coach from the QMJHL. We need either Alain Vignault or Guy Boucher. These guys have different system's for when offense is hot and different system's for when offense goes cold. They trap like hell when the team is injured or cold. They can win different ways. The QMJHL specializes in these things.

I guess a big part of being a Canuck fan is the never ending quest for a scapegoat. It’s Bo and his “soft” leadership. No wait…how about the pouting floater…immature JT. Now we are on to the assistant coaches. Next….the travel co-ordinator. Look out team chef, you are next!

Folks…just look at the damn roster…in particular the back end. Scotty Bowman and Roger Neilson couldn’t do much with this group.