The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

With the Canucks' bad start this season, there's been some talk at CDC about blowing up the team and starting over.

A problem I have with this is that this team can be a playoff calibre team and they proved it last season.

We all know the following stats but they bear repeating:

The Canucks, under Boudreau, played 57 games last season.  A good sample size.  And their record was 32-15-10.  That's 74 points from 57 games or a .649 point percentage!

Had they played at the level all season they would have finished fifth in the Western Conference with a solid playoff position.

So the talent and skill to be a playoff team is here.  They've shown it.  We've got the players.  And the coach.

Which leaves one question:

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THIS SEASON!

• Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

With the Canucks' bad start this season, there's been some talk at CDC about blowing up the team and starting over.

A problem I have with this is that this team can be a playoff calibre team and they proved it last season.

The Canucks, under Boudreau, played 57 games last season.  A good sample size.  And their record was 32-15-10.  That's 74 points from 57 games or a .649 point percentage!

Had they played at the level all season they would have finished fifth in the Western Conference with a solid playoff position.

So the talent and skill to be a playoff team is here.  They've shown it.  We've got the players.  And the coach.

lol the talent really is not there.. our defence is one of the worse in the league despite what you guys want to think last year.. and now we are geing exposed for it and demko isn't playing anywhere close to a vezina level.. so no we don't have the players

Most playoff teams have one replacement level defenceman in the line up, usually a young player that they are trying to bring along. We have 3 replacement level defenders (Burroughs, Rathbone, Juulsen/Briesbois).

Even last year, our defence was Hughes, OEL, Myers, Schenn, Dermott/Hamonic, Burroughs/Hunt. Say what you will about Dermott and Hamonic, they are legit NHL defencemen. So we basically had one replacement level defender in Burroughs/Hunt in the lineup and OEL and Hughes played above expectations masking other problems.

The top 4RDs on this team are Schenn and Myers. I think Myers is a #4 at best. Schenn is a #6.

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

This team was flawed last season but hit fire. Last year wasn't the norm, it was adrenaline and luck. This is the results of a mismanage team over the past near decade. Our culture is rotten to the core. 

Welcome to present day Canucks.

I think adrenaline and luck could carry a team for ten games, maybe twenty.   But 57 games?  Isn't that very unlikely?

Similarly, how does a team with a culture that is "rotten to the core" manage to play .649 hockey over an extended period of time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the talent really is not there.. our defence is one of the worse in the league despite what you guys want to think last year.. and now we are geing exposed for it and demko isn't playing anywhere close to a vezina level.. so no we don't have the players

But it's not a matter of what anyone thinks about last year's team.  The results speak for themselves.  And the results were that the core of this team had a points percentage of .649.  So it seems to me we do have the players.  That is what I find so perplexing.

I agree that Demko hasn't played as well this year, so far, as in last year's run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

I think adrenaline and luck could carry a team for ten games, maybe twenty.   But 57 games?  Isn't that very unlikely?

Similarly, how does a team with a culture that is "rotten to the core" manage to play .649 hockey over an extended period of time?

Then what's your explanation? The overwhelming majority of the time this core has been together they have played bottom 10 quality hockey. Those 57 games are the outliers, not the norm. I said it last year, and I'll say it now. The team we saw last year is not this team.

How would a team who's core isn't rotten have year after year of rumors about problems in the locker room and low quality performance on the ice.

The most realistic answer is we saw Demko playing as a Vesna pace last year and he's not this year. This team is not constructed well, if the goalie isn't stealing games, we don't win. 

3 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

The injuries on the blueline to start the season haven't been talked about enough imo.

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Most playoff teams have one replacement level defenceman in the line up, usually a young player that they are trying to bring along. We have 3 replacement level defenders (Burroughs, Rathbone, Juulsen/Briesbois).

Even last year, our defence was Hughes, OEL, Myers, Schenn, Dermott/Hamonic, Burroughs/Hunt. Say what you will about Dermott and Hamonic, they are legit NHL defencemen. So we basically had one replacement level defender in Burroughs/Hunt in the lineup and OEL and Hughes played above expectations masking other problems.

The top 4RDs on this team are Schenn and Myers. I think Myers is a #4 at best. Schenn is a #6.

I'm going to have to defer to others about the quality of our defense this year compared to last year.  I find something like that hard to judge.

But I do recall that there was a lot of criticism about our defense last year, too.

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

This team was flawed last season but hit fire. Last year wasn't the norm, it was adrenaline and luck. This is the results of a mismanage team over the past near decade. Our culture is rotten to the core. 

Welcome to present day Canucks.

Yes. Ten years of mismanagement and kicking the can down the road has resulted in what we have. It's a Frankenstein of a team with a crap prospect pool. Just a sad, sad, story. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, rekker said:

Yes. Ten years of mismanagement and kicking the can down the road has resulted in what we have. It's a Frankenstein of a team with a crap prospect pool. Just a sad, sad, story. 

And no cap space! A team that's not good enough to compete, a bottom 5 in the league prospect pool, a bottom 5 defense with no help coming, and no cap space. It's really rough. Like... Really rough.

:(

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

And no cap space! A team that's not good enough to compete, a bottom 5 in the league prospect pool, a bottom 5 defense with no help coming, and no cap space. It's really rough. Like... Really rough.

:(

Lol. Correct! One expensive, capped out, ugly Frankenstein. It's really, really bad. It almost makes it easier to accept for a fan like myself cheering since 82. Easier, in that I have no expectations whatsoever, and have lost hope with this team and its short term future. 

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Then what's your explanation?

I don't have one.  That's the problem!    ::D

If last year's team had continued their abysmal record which they had under Green then I would agree that the players we have just aren't good enough and the team should be blown up and we should start over.

But that .649 record nags at me.   

Having said that, the consensus here seems to shaping up:  our defence got a bit weaker and Demko is playing a bit more poorly compared to last season.

Maybe.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

This. Successful teams draft and develop D. After two decades of drafting, we have a mere handful of D to show for it. Edler and Hughes and Bieksa being the only three, top four. Dmen. Pathetic, pathetic.

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't have one.  That's the problem!    ::D

If last year's team had continued their abysmal record which they had under Green then I would agree that the players we have just aren't good enough and the team should be blown up and we should start over.

But that .649 record nags at me.   

Having said that, the consensus here seems to shaping up:  our defence got a bit weaker and Demko is playing a bit more poorly compared to last season.

Maybe.

The Bruce bump was real, it was adrenaline. Our defense didn't get weaker, it's exactly the same. The only player in the back end not playing as well is Demko. No good team is 100% reliant on their goalie. Unfortunately, this team is.

This team isn't good enough. 3/4 of a season isn't going to convince me otherwise when we have years of a sample size. 

JR said we had a bad training camp. That is entirely unacceptable. If this team was the team we saw last year, they wouldn't be coming into a pivotal season unprepared to win. Something is deeply wrong with this core.

The team is not one of the worst teams in the league. They are just playing that way.

With healthy bodies it’s a borderline playoff team imo. Hughes being out for at least a month gives me little reason to believe we can climb back out of this.

He’s a crucial part of this teams success 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Walker & Shaw left for two rigid coaches named: Yeo & Cull.  So the roster, is still mostly intact but coaching staff did incur some significant changes.  Projections aside, the team did lose some important games against teams, that are fast & pressuring, late in the season which ruined the playoff dream and cemented their spot in NHL Purgatory.  Plus, where is the depth for injuries and the cap flexibility to improve are some of the BIG reasons, for their current struggles...