The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Oct. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Celebration police..

The truth is, the celebration police are not great in my books.  Individually, we live tough lives.  We live lives that require resilience and fortitude every single day.  And sometimes, for the two and a half hours a game is on, we need that for nourishment, reset, and restoring balance.  It's a hobby, but it's also an escape, and there's no shame in admitting that.  That's just how powerful sports are, and regardless of what you think of sport culture, a reminder that we (as a collective) can share so much together.  It's a reminder that life, as hard as it is, can be fun, or relaxing, or exciting, so on and so forth.  So, when we watch a game and the team we support is successful, we should celebrate.  Full stop.  If celebrating means having smile on your face, or coming on to a forum and posting "WOOOO" - so be it.  Fans deserve to be as happy as they want.

On this note, it's important for all fans to remember that not everybody wants to support the team in the ways in which you do.  In particular, a win isn't the time to be vengeful or spiteful.  Happiness doesn't need to be a zero sum game where we need to throw into people's faces.  At the end of the day, there are no "haters" or "trolls"; just fans, all hoping for different outcomes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, AV. said:

Not a word of a lie spoken here.

Naturally, as we've come to expect from D-Money, a great post here that sums up what Canucks fans should have been seeing from the game last night, beyond the final score.

Condescending shots like this is just plain old garbage. There is no need of trying to stir up the pot.

I haven't seen anyone say we played great that game. Some supporters acknowledged some very positive things like the fights and the special teams. 

It baffles me on what you want to accomplish, regarding the supportive fan type.  What should we do ? Go in hiding until they are a top 4 contender?

Seriously, give your head a shake.

Hope this helps.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

…Insaying that, I also understand folks saying this rebuilding thing has be going on for 12 years, and we just started the season with 6 losses...

It hasn't worked so far, lets be honest here...

It drives me nuts when people say this nonsense. As Benning and Co said repeatedly, as long as the Sedins were here we weren’t going to rebuild. They retired 2018, so our rebuild is only on year five. That was why Linden was let go/left.

the problem is there SHOULD have been a rebuild prior to the Sedins leaving, and they could have been offered the option of staying to mentor the youngin’s or traded to a contender. But the narrative that we’ve been in a rebuild for a decade is completely false.

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

Condescending shots like this is just plain old garbage. There is no need of trying to stir up the pot.

I haven't seen anyone say we played great that game. Some supporters acknowledged some very positive things like the fights and the special teams. 

It baffles me on what you want to accomplish, regarding the supportive fan type.  What should we do ? Go in hiding until they are a top 4 contender?

Seriously, give your head a shake.

Hope this helps.

Actually, I was praising D-Money.  Not sure how you interpreted this as a condescending remark.

I would like to see a consistent and legitimate winning team.  A team that could mount a challenge for the Stanley Cup, and not one that just squeaks in and makes up the numbers.

I would encourage the supportive fans, as you say, to continue to supporting as they see fit.  I would strong recommend against, however, seeing such a performance from last night as a defining moment in the season.  The Vancouver Canucks, for some time and certainly in this moment, are NOT a playoff team.  In other words, as happy as fans can be with the win, I would not suggest to use this win as a time to get back at the "haters" or "trolls", much less think the "true" Canucks played last night.  This win, in my opinion, is simply an opportunity to be happy for a quick moment.  If people like yourself disagree, so be it, but always remember that I will be spot on this matter, as I have been with virtually everything else.

[You know what goes here]

• Vintage 3

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Seattle was all over us, we likely didn't deserve it. That's hockey, you win some you shouldn't and you lose some you shouldn't,

Isn't that one of the more frustrating things about the start this year? That five game road trip for instance. May sound absurd but with a litte timely goaltending, one or two less mistakes, we could of went 4 and 1. We actually outplayed the opposition a lot of the time. Last night, we got out shot and out played, boom, a win. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

No doubt, you've got wisdom and glad your sharing it.    Funny was kind of saying the same thing but in a different way just now about us fans.    

The hole we are in now, was about the same size as it was when Bruce took over last season.   So there is always hope. 

As far as the draft goes, there is hope there as well, same with this roster, sure they doubled down on Miller,  but he's not exactly eating up the cap either.  But that's two guys now, that won't be easy to move.   When Allvin took over he had lots of trade chips, he still does, although the biggest returns is likely the cap space.   And it's awfully hard to not overpay blue chip UFAs when the teams bad.   They can pick their team and the Canucks haven't been high on their list for a decade now.    Point is, that cap space unless the team is committed to rebuilding, it won't be easy to find new vets to fill those holes that are high end anyways.  

I'm pretty pragmatic, less then 20% odds even if we end up with the worst record - and well this draft isn't that good (as some are making it out to be) aside from what's on the very top part of it.   What is at the top, is so good it makes the draft above average.   However covid made it difficult with these guys development, and it's had a significant impact.    

The best thing that could happen to us this season (other then a cup, that's not happening, even worse odds lol, like 50-1), would be Bedard for sure, and a hockey trade to add at least one more top four D,  preferably two, one defensive defenseman, and a two-way one.   Instead of paying Millers 8 or Horvats likely 7ish next year, the money should be used to bolster the D. 

If by some miracle we win the draft, add Bedard, trade Brock and maybe one of Horvat or Miller, this season would be a major success in my books.   We'd have the flexibility going into next off season that a lot of GMs won't have until the year after that.    Won't be at all easy, and slim odds, but it sure would be nice too.   The teams D was suspect ... now it's showing it's weak underbelly.   I'm sure Allvin is on the phones - if he isn't he's not doing his job at all. 

Edit:  So far JR mentioned the R word.   Allvin clawed back and said "we iced them 6th youngest team opening night"  (believe our entire roster is 9th, but that's what we iced anyways)... what we do with Horvat and Miller is going to determine a lot of our future at this point.   I'm ok if we pivot.   At least Allvin owned it, said it's his job to make sure Bruce and staff have better players paraphrased.   It might not have happened yet...this season it seems like we get to find out either way. 

Cheers amigo...

Yes we'll see which way they go or route they take... Next season is massive for the management group as well as the fans. 

Will the Management group assembled be strong enough to full fill the promise to the fans and do what they promised? Improve the squad, change the squad around as its badly build, while getting cap space...

So far with my outside view they haven't done much to attend the obvious problem for the team... They left the D as was (or worse), while resigning Miller to an all be it not terrible contract (if he brings the game) all be it still a considerable one. 

You are spot on that the offseason (maybe even last DL) was the time, to show the direction of the team, as they had a fair few close to expiring contracts to players that at the time could fetch something of interest, be it younger players or picks...  It seems like they chose the way forward, and it looks like the Benning retool...

I was on the fence about Miller, as I like to win hockey games, and felt maybe a trade or two, could bring us another top RHD, 2 if we included Myers and thus become relevant with Miller in the line up...

Well, here we are, and so far it looks like, the Management, like me, was wrong in putting their eggs in that basket.

Management not addressing the blatantly obvious problems at the back, (This is not just about Miller), + a few forwards looking almost disinterested to start the season, has made us start like last season... and almost do a stealth tank...

The draft, I will not speak about the depth of the draft, as I haven't got a clue and just follow all the knowledgable fans on these pages, but it looks like the top 4 are well worth sucking for... With the top prize being Bedard and seemingly Mitchkov (would also look good with our Russian contingent)...

It will be harder now that Miller has signed his new contract, but I can totally understand fans saying, what the point of drifting around in mediocrity doing the same talk and idea over and over again, so.... This is where we are...

Anyway, I will always cheer on the Canucks and celebrate a win, but won't shed a tear if they blow it up and tank for a season or maybe even two... either way I'm here :)

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, DSVII said:

This win doesn't really change what this team has been the first 7 games, the concerns are all still there. But I'm glad we got this one and we got Brucie his 600th!

It changes a lot, I think. We led in 6 of our 7 losses. The other loss, we were tied going into the 3rd period against a serious Stanley Cup contender. Our issue this seasons has been not putting a 60 minute effort and also (a much bigger issue), the team's confidence. A win, no matter how ugly, helps. It helps the players believe in themselves and things could start clicking, who knows?

At the end of the day, our team on paper is not a lotto team. It should be a wildcard spot contender. Demko isn't going to give up 4 goals a game the rest of the season. Our leadership core is starting to engage heavily in games. They're fighting, playing on the boards with a purpose, and giving it their all. Their mental frailty in the 3rd is a huge issue, but this W will help with that.

It's very bleak right now but there could be a moment where the tides turn. A W against pittsburgh tonight would certainly help with that, but that's no given seeing how Crosby has been the best player in the league so far this early season. 

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Actually, I was praising D-Money.  Not sure how you interpreted this as a condescending remark.

I was regarding the way how you emphasized on how a fan "should" think. This is unnecessary and unfair.

1 minute ago, AV. said:

I would like to see a consistent and legitimate winning team.  A team that could mount a challenge for the Stanley Cup, and not one that just squeaks in and makes up the numbers.

Name one fan that doesn't want this. You are not unique.

1 minute ago, AV. said:

I would encourage the supportive fans, as you say, to continue to supporting as they see fit.  I would strong recommend against, however, seeing such a performance from last night as a defining moment in the season.  The Vancouver Canucks, for some time and certainly in this moment, are NOT a playoff team.  In other words, as happy as fans can be with the win, I would not suggest to use this win as a time to get back at the "haters" or "trolls", much less think the "true" Canucks played last night.  This win, in my opinion, is simply an opportunity to be happy for a quick moment. 

This is all good stuff, they certainly won't make the playoffs with the roster we iced last night. But, Cinderella stories happen from time to time however unlikely.

1 minute ago, AV. said:

If people like yourself disagree, so be it, but always remember that I will be spot on this matter, as I have been with virtually everything else.

[You know what goes here]

I take offense to the "people like yourself" comment. I am not clueless to the fact that the Canucks are not a great team.

I do not care what your track record is on this matter or anything else, I am a Canucks fan not a AV fan. But if its true, koodos.

[You know what goes here] honestly i think my biggest gripe with you is your trademark. your trademark can be untimely and seem trollish.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

It drives me nuts when people say this nonsense. As Benning and Co said repeatedly, as long as the Sedins were here we weren’t going to rebuild. They retired 2018, so our rebuild is only on year five. That was why Linden was let go/left.

the problem is there SHOULD have been a rebuild prior to the Sedins leaving, and they could have been offered the option of staying to mentor the youngin’s or traded to a contender. But the narrative that we’ve been in a rebuild for a decade is completely false.

Potato v poTato...

Summa summarum of the story is, we are, where we were 12 years ago.

They still haven't started a proper rebuild, despite being a average to poor team since 2012...

It feels like, they are still hoping the fairy godmother to come flying in, and give us some top players without having to pay the price.

If the rebuild started in 2018, what has been the difference between 2014 to 2018 and the 'rebuild' since 2018? I don't see much difference except rhetoric... 

But regardless, yes spot on... they won presidents cup in 2012, so it was fair to try a few years more, but 2014 should have been the time to blow it up. 

Yeah hind sight is a magic thing. If only.... :rolleyes:

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Was it messy ? Yup.

Was it exactly what we needed? Yup.

Leaders willing to drop the mitts, players sticking up for each other, passion and sacrificing the body,  hanging on in back and forth... not folding, comprimised D-core, new guys lighting the lamp and a Demko battling while not quite himself yet.

Good stuff.  Take your tank and shove it. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I was regarding the way how you emphasized on how a fan "should" think. This is unnecessary and unfair.

Name one fan that doesn't want this. You are not unique.

This is all good stuff, they certainly won't make the playoffs with the roster we iced last night. But, Cinderella stories happen from time to time however unlikely.

I take offense to the "people like yourself" comment. I am not clueless to the fact that the Canucks are not a great team.

I do not care what your track record is on this matter or anything else, I am a Canucks fan not a AV fan. But if its true, koodos.

[You know what goes here] honestly i think my biggest gripe with you is your trademark. your trademark can be untimely and seem trollish.

I appreciate the structure and segmented comment here.  As I've always maintained, I never aim to offend or be harmful toward people, so I would like to apologize for the remark.  Perhaps, I should have said "Those with disagree with me, which may include you" as an alternative.

As for my closing statements, they are simply something we all must deal with.  We live in a world where comments should be helpful, and things should make you wonder, or people's word are their own and not mine (or yours).  I just try to say it as I see it in real time.

[Whatever you want goes here]

1 hour ago, AV. said:

I will be spot on this matter, as I have been with virtually everything else.

Well, I mean...yesterday you made a comment that I was missed from the game Mafia.

I have never played the game Mafia.

...and you think tanking is the way to go.

So I thats two things you're wrong about. Hang in there though, I like your swagger. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, rekker said:

Coming down from my ref rant. Ha, that reminds me, we still look like crap. Lol. 

Yeah, especially that Schenn penalty. 2 minutes for making a clean, legal hit :blink::picard:

But yes, still playing like 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, I mean...yesterday you made a comment that I was missed from the game Mafia.

I have never played the game Mafia.

...and you think tanking is the way to go.

So I thats two things you're wrong about. Hang in there though, I like your swagger. 

Sorry, I guess I was once teammates with another "bishopshodan"...

And no, tanking is 100% the way forward.  The only thing I'll be wrong about is that this management and ownership won't bother to see it the same way.

Regardless, I demand transparency and responsibility from others, therefore, I will admit my faults and wrongdoings, if and when they happen.  So if you were, in fact, not in the mafia game, my apologies.  Likewise, if this team, by some miracle, manages to have a fairly good season (let's say, making playoffs and winning a round), then I will hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

I appreciate the structure and segmented comment here.  As I've always maintained, I never aim to offend or be harmful toward people, so I would like to apologize for the remark.  Perhaps, I should have said "Those with disagree with me, which may include you" as an alternative.

As for my closing statements, they are simply something we all must deal with.  We live in a world where comments should be helpful, and things should make you wonder, or people's word are their own and not mine (or yours).  I just try to say it as I see it in real time.

[Whatever you want goes here]

fair enough, you said some helpful things today.

I assumed some things with you as well, i apologize for that. I have had you blocked for many years now and was probably wrong for that.

I can't and shouldn't expect to change the way you think or how you do your trademarks. 

Have a good day, and I hope you get the outcome you desire for the Canucks game. (I think we are hoping for the same thing)

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I've been vocal about Miller's play this year and how poor it's been. But he had a heck of a game today.

Yeah he played like he wanted to win last night.  Hopefully the puck in the ankles isn't too serious.  Oh and that kid wearing No. 40 had a heck of a game in his own zone last night.

Just now, AV. said:

Sorry, I guess I was once teammates with another "bishopshodan"...

No you were not.

There is only one. There can be only one.

Just now, AV. said:

And no, tanking is 100% the way forward.  

No it's not.

It would develop a losing culture, turn away fans and it's a gamble for a saviour that may not pan out to help in the long run.

In the big picture, the future is never certain. There are fans that wont be with us next season, sadly a side effect of mortality. Live for today, play for today, always try to win... today.

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Regardless, I demand transparency and responsibility from others, therefore, I will admit my faults and wrongdoings, if and when they happen.  So if you were, in fact, not in the mafia game, my apologies.  Likewise, if this team, by some miracle, manages to have a fairly good season (let's say, making playoffs and winning a round), then I will hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

I feel that you would do that. I am not questioning your character. Just trying to help you see the light. ;)

• Thanks 1