The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I am old enough to remember when many posters ragged on Benning for giving away Gustav Forsling for Adam Clendening.  I was one of the posters who supported Benning on that move.  Forsling, a 5th round pick, is now a top 4 Dman playing 23 minutes a night on a Stanley Cup contender.

This trade brings back bad memories of a management team that was trading away futures for supposedly ready made NHL players in order to make the playoffs, whereby most of those players flopped after they arrived.  Hopefully Ethan Bear isn't the next Linden Vey or Sven Baertschi...

How long did Forsling take to get there? Florida picked him up after not being qualified and becoming a ufa. Canucks fans would have given up on him long before he actually became something. Benning was looking to add youth to the team and had nothing on the farm to do that. I agreed with trading for Clendenning, Vey, and Gudbranson for that very reason. But as with any young player there is no guarantee they will pan out to the level you hope for. Both Clendenning and Vey had AHL numbers our AHL'ers could only dream about. 

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Why would I leave? I thought you hated negativity, so why are you being so negative to me? I'm just giving my thoughts on the trade.

Also, if you're going to call someone a joke, at least have proper grammar. You even edited the post and still didn't correct that part...

Well, thank god you figured all that out…what would we do without you champ! 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The majority of Albertans are incredibly ignorant and incompatible with civilized society, especially when you get outside the cities.  There's no reason that i should pretend to respect the Oilers or the vermin they have as fans.

Lol.  Look at their present Premier who mouthed off negatively about Ukraine (somehow forgetting that a fairly large chunk of their electorate in Alberta have Ukrainian heritage (Edmonton isn't sometimes callled Edmonchuk for nothing - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Edmonchuk).  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

I don't believe that's true, but for argument's sake, if you are correct, that's one of about ten moves I listed there that's "necessary".

Not a great view of our asset management, is it?

well 9/10 of those moves were made by the previous GM, so why are you posting this anyway.

and it was true, we had tons of injuries and it forced us to make some awkward moves to be cap compliant. injuries to myers, mikheyev, and dermott with them all on IR had us at something with 700k in space, brining in replacements for them meant we would be over the cap. so we were forced to waive and keep waived one of dickinson or poolman to be near cap compliant. another factor was that management didn't want to place any of these players on LTIR so they could return ASAP.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

How long did Forsling take to get there? Florida picked him up after not being qualified and becoming a ufa. Canucks fans would have given up on him long before he actually became something. Benning was looking to add youth to the team and had nothing on the farm to do that. I agreed with trading for Clendenning, Vey, and Gudbranson for that very reason. But as with any young player there is no guarantee they will pan out to the level you hope for. Both Clendenning and Vey had AHL numbers our AHL'ers could only dream about. 

He was progressing nicely under coach Q in Chicago; his development seemed to have stalled after coach Q was "removed".  Canes picked him up but were fairly deep on the blueline back then so he struggled to crack that lineup.  Clendenning couldn't skate worth a damn at the NHL level.  A huge question mark with respect to defenseman.

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

well 9/10 of those moves were made by the previous GM, so why are you posting this anyway.

and it was true, we had tons of injuries and it forced us to make some awkward moves to be cap compliant. injuries to myers, mikheyev, and dermott with them all on IR had us at something with 700k in space, brining in replacements for them meant we would be over the cap. so we were forced to waive and keep waived one of dickinson or poolman to be near cap compliant. another factor was that management didn't want to place any of these players on LTIR so they could return ASAP.

Him and his buddies are a waste of space…just negativity and garbage constantly! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Maybe then, the idea is to take better quality shots instead of those in the dark?

Vey and Clendening had AHL numbers our AHL'ers could only dream about. Both were good risk/reward moves. Same with Gudbranson who was only 23 when we traded for him. Young players do not come with guarantees any more than draft picks do. As to signings of players 3m or less, they are no big deal while trying to rebuild. Some will be more than worth it and some not so much. Every move carries risk/reward. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Lol.  Look at their present Premier who mouthed off negatively about Ukraine (somehow forgetting that a fairly large chunk of their electorate in Alberta have Ukrainian heritage (Edmonton isn't sometimes callled Edmonchuk for nothing - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Edmonchuk).  

Ya they suck till you need to turn the heat up in your house, fuel up, among many other things. Then there alright.

• Haha 1

Ok now my actual thoughts. Trading a 5th rounder is not a big deal at all. 

When the rumour started I wasn’t to keen on acquiring Bear. We need a bigger move to improve the defence. The ideas of trading Hoglander etc. I was not ok with.

That said I like Bear. I’ve followed him ever since the Oilers fans disgraced the hockey world. 

What are the odds of a 5th rounder turning into a player? Very very small. Best thing you could hope for is well an Ethan Bear.. This kid still has upside and a player I want to see succeed. He has a huge opportunity to do that here Vancouver. I look forward to cheering him on. 

A 5th rounder. You make that trade. Good job Allvin and Co For being patient as this rumour had been circulating for a couple months now 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

"Vancouver is currently without defensemen Quinn Hughes, who is week to week with a lower-body injury, Travis Dermott (upper-body injury), Tucker Poolman (undisclosed) and Riley Stillman (undisclosed). The Canucks have used 10 different defenseman this season."

Hope Bear can fit right in. He's hasn't played this season. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Oh boy what ever will we do without that precious 5th round pick?????

They certainly won’t draft the next:

Alexander Mogilny, Jamie Benn, John Klingberg, Brendan Gallagher, Ray Ferraro, Connir Hellebuyck, Kevin Bieksa, Sergei Zubov, Jake Muzzin, Kirill Kaprisov,  Mikael Samuelsson, Zach Hyman, Connor Garland, Mike Hoffman, Carson Soucy, Gustav Forsling, Miroslav Satan,  Andrew Shaw, Nick Jensen, Troy Terry, Kris Versteeg, Alex Kerfoot, Mikhail Grabovski, Cal Petersen, Petr Klima, Lee Stempniak, Scotty Walker, Travis Moen, Yegor Sharangovich, Gino Odjick, Michael Ferland, Rob Scuderi, Tucker Poolman, Noah Cates, Karel Vejmelka…

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He was progressing nicely under coach Q in Chicago; his development seemed to have stalled after coach Q was "removed".  Canes picked him up but were fairly deep on the blueline back then so he struggled to crack that lineup.  Clendenning couldn't skate worth a damn at the NHL level.  A huge question mark with respect to defenseman.

Forsling never played a full NHL season before Florida picked him up. Again, fans here would have given up on him long before he became something.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

So not very many when you consider the old players on this list and there are 30ish 5th round picks a year 

Just now, Baggins said:

Forsling never played a full NHL season before Florida picked him up. Again, fans here would have given up on him long before he became something.

So true. I had figured Forsling was done. Maybe it’s should be more of a props to the player for sticking with it than anything