The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take to get Connor Bedard

We can look at previous to see what it would take for a 1st overall but some examples are:

The trades: On draft day, the Canucks trade Bryan McCabe and a future first-rounder (no. 11) to the Blackhawks for the no. 4 pick, then send that pick and two third-rounders to the Lightning for the no. 1 pick. Then the Canucks send the no. 1 pick to the Thrashers for the no. 2 pick and a third-rounder.

Player taken: Patrik Stefan

or 

The trade: The Panthers trade the no. 1 pick and a third-rounder to the Penguins for the no. 3 pick, a second-rounder, and Mikael Samuelsson.

Player taken: Marc-Andre Fleury

so it seems like it will take inext yrs 1st round pick, we aren’t doing that well right now so will be 5th overall say. And 

Brock Boeser or Garland or Horvat and 

2nd. I would even throw on an extra Rathbone to get it done. 

Connor Bedard to Canucks for 

2023 1st round pick 

Horvat 

2nd

Rathbone

who would do this? What do you think it will take?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That wouldn’t do it.  There’s no reasonable package that would.  The only way to get him is to win the lottery 

This is a very good, and deep draft.  Would be great to get lucky and win the lottery (Bedard) but we should get a very good player with our pick.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is a very good, and deep draft.  Would be great to get lucky and win the lottery (Bedard) but we should get a very good player with our pick.  

lol i think if we are a lottery team.. FA instruction to JR will be do whatever you have to get Bedard.. local kid.. will sell tickets even if the team is tanking.. none of fleury or stefan is considered a potential generational franchise pick.. i'm going to say it's going to take almost the equivalent of this years 1st.. next years 1st prolly + another 1st from a horvat/miller trade + more.. would you trade mcdavid for a package like that during his draft year? prolly not.. so that probably wouldn't even do it.

You wouldn't, the cost would gut a team. And given the cap constraints of the modern NHL such a deal is further handcuffed by likely cap implications. Top three picks are almost never moved. 

Hell, the last time the #1 pick was moved as far as I know was 2003, when the Panthers traded the no. 1 pick and a third-rounder to the Penguins for the no. 3 pick, a second-rounder, and Mikael Samuelsson. Teams have seemingly become even less likely to trade top picks as time has gone on. Happened more frequently from the 70's-90's. 

So unless I'm missing something somewhere it's been nearly 20 years since the pick moved, more than likely the only way a team is gonna grab Bedard is by winning a lottery pick. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1