The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 WJHC Pool - Group B (First Come First Serve)

AriGold

56 minutes ago, Gator said:

I believe I took both Edvinsson and Lambos before then lol

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

3rd round,  Jordan Dumais

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Someone Drafted a bigger dud than Edvinsson? :frantic:

On 12/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, Primal Optimist said:

So now we have a  possible 6 redrafts baring last minute invites or illness:

Gator draft pick 14: Simon Edvinsson

thejazz87 pick 22: Matthew Savoie

Gator draft pick 27: Carson Lambos

thejazz87 pick 39: Jordan Dumais

Canuck Surfer pick 49: Juraj Slafkovsky

Down the the River pick 60: Simon Nemec

Glad to see I was mistaken about the date of that article...but I also have the pick order and i am 99% sure it at least is correct.

• Cheers 1

just realized, think this should say Thursday the 22nd? Or was it meant to be Sunday the 25th?

either would work, as the tourney starts on the 26th.

Player Swaps - In case you choose a player and they are cut from the team or injured prior to Sunday December 22nd at 7:59 AM PST, GM's may re-select players based on the draft position of the player they lost. This is not a first come first serve re-draft.

looks like Team Primal is good to go. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

10 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Down the the River pick 60: Simon Nemec

@Gatoryou may pick your defenseman replacement and @thejazz97you can make your forward replacement

Pretty sure Nemec is at the tournament 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AriGold said:

@Gatoryou may pick your defenseman replacement and @thejazz97you can make your forward replacement

turns out Shani Buium is also cut

Hrm, late cuts? I better double check my roster right now.

What is the latest I can replace Seamus Casey, if he is one of the final two Team USA cuts? (they are projected to still cut one forward and one dman literally at the puck drop, which sucks)

Roster Taking Shape

The U.S. brought 25 players to Canada, but only 23 can be part of the final roster. Based on the way they were used in the pre-tournament games, it's looking more like USA's final roster decisions are coming down to either Luke Mittelstadt or Seamus Casey (NJD) on defense, and it will be either Noah Laba (NYR) or Sam Lipkin (ARI) at the forward position.

The U.S. does not have to register all 23 players by the first roster deadline. They can leave spots open for added flexibility. 

Mittelstadt helped his cause in the final pre-tournament game with an assist and appearances on USA's three-defensemen, one-forward setup on the penalty kill. Lipkin also got some looks on the PK. Meanwhile Laba saw his usage fairly limited. If I had to guess right now, Mittelstadt and Lipkin are the favorites for the final roster spots, but that decision may not be made right away.

Edited by Primal Optimist

Finns are looking hot hot hot

Spoiler

The Finns should have decent depth, with various notable names putting points on the board internationally this year. Seattle prospect Jani Nyman has been the most prominent with seven goals and 13 points in eight games to go along with 10 points in 21 Liiga games this year. One of Finland’s most prominent U-18 scorers last year, Nyman is a tremendous finisher with a good release. He’ll be on Finland’s top line for sure.

Spoiler

Montreal Canadiens prospect Oliver Kapanen has also had a strong season, with the returning forward looking to build upon a solid season. A 2021 second-round pick, he’s been full-time with Kalpa this year and has a point-per-game in five exhibition contests with the Finnish U-20 team. The biggest thing that stands out about Kapanen’s play is his decision-making and ability to draw defenders near him before getting himself out of trouble and setting someone up. He makes players around him better, and he’ll live in Finland’s top six.

Spoiler

The Finns will have four NHL-drafted prospects on the roster, and another that’s projected to go No. 1 in 2024. But one thing really stands out about this group: its lack of size. While some other teams are bringing a handful of bigger blueliners, the tallest is 6-foot-1 Topias Vilen, a New Jersey Devils draft pick.

and Leo Carlsson is on my squad too, mm hmmmm

Spoiler

One of the biggest draft darlings this year is Leo Carlsson, who went from a budding young star in the Swedish system to a play-driver with Orebo’s men’s team. He’s also second behind Bystedt for the Swedish U-20 scoring lead in national team competition this year, which has helped bring him into top five conversation for the 2023 draft. This is his coming-out party for fans who don’t follow European prospects – get ready to fall in love with his game.

leaving Seamus Casey as my lone "will he make the cut or not" guy. Perhaps once all the redrafts are done and before the tournament I can name an alternate Dman only to be used in case Seamus Casey happens to be the last cut from team USA?