The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah, I think you're making up what you wanted his plan to be to make you feel better honestly. And that's fine, but it's likely not reality - they wouldn't have fired him because if what you said was true he was doing a fantastic job of surrounding those young players with pricey veterans while teaching them how to not win consistently lol so ok you win. 

Before he was fired, JB said their window was 2-3 years away........all the big contracts were set to expire in those years, right when Petey needed a new deal.  Do you think that was all just coincidence?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Before he was fired, JB said their window was 2-3 years away........all the big contracts were set to expire in those years, right when Petey needed a new deal.  Do you think that was all just coincidence?

I think you really don't want it to be, and I think no matter what happens two years from now, even if 75% of the roster is built by new management you'll still somehow give Benning the credit - that's what I think.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

I think you really don't want it to be, and I think no matter what happens to years from now, even if 75% of the roster is built by new management you'll still somehow give Benning the credit - that's what I think.

I think Benning should get credit for our key core, sans Bo.  Much like Nonis and Burke were responsible for the key core players Gillis built around.  It's going to take Gillis like genius though to build another supporting group that good. 

Just now, Muttley said:

It's the voice that drives me nuts. In a forgiving world; Hockey, yah, right, one could possibly stomach it. But; then there's the content...:picard:, It's a no win situation..

I don't mind Drance except for his love of the Leafs.  :sick:

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I think you really don't want it to be, and I think no matter what happens two years from now, even if 75% of the roster is built by new management you'll still somehow give Benning the credit - that's what I think.

Like Nonis, JB put much of the roster together.  Did Nonis deserve some credit for 2011?  I think he did.

• Vintage 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

You would think that a 3 game ROAD win streak that included crushing the current Stanley Cup champs and laying an over the top beat down on the best team in the West would stop some of these negative posters….

Regardless of how they are playing, they are facing significant moves that have to be made before the deadline.  Are we not allowed to discuss that on a discussion board?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't mind Drance except for his love of the Leafs.  :sick:

Drance is a scumbag. He creates nothing but negativity in an already negative environment. Media creates controversy by design to gain an audience. He takes it too far and never lightens up with any sort of positive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If that's the case then adios amigo.  Was fun while it lasted.   

As far as Kuz goes, i hope he will become our Panarin,  but later on.   After he signs say a 5 x 3 deal.   Panarin is every bit as good as EP is for us right now, when he joined the league and went on and signed his big deal.   Kuzmenko won't get a massive deal unless he does it again and scores 90 points and can drive his own line, sample size x 8.  He's definitely a possible choice for EPs long term line-mate ... but see you later thanks for the first rounder at the TDL or some playoffs before we open the wallet like that. 

Kuz is on PPG pace.

If he gets 30-40g and 80-90pts, why would he settle for $6-7M?  Miller didn’t accept anything less than $8M x 7yr when he got 99pts last year.

He’s 26yrs old and UFA next year.  He will have options.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Benning should get credit for our key core, sans Bo.  Much like Nonis and Burke were responsible for the key core players Gillis built around.  It's going to take Gillis like genius though to build another supporting group that good. 

Yes for sure, Benning had some hits in the draft I'll never take that away from him. I'm not gonna sit here and say he was amazing based on the number of roster players we have that were his draftees isn't very high but Petey, Hughes, Demko etc. are big pieces. Benning proved over 7 years that he struggled to build a supporting group and manage the cap competently. He had too much faith in pricey veterans capturing their previous form. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Regardless of how they are playing, they are facing significant moves that have to be made before the deadline.  Are we not allowed to discuss that on a discussion board?

Discuss all you want but also enjoy the moment of achievements as well. I’m saying there is too much negativity around this thread that ought to have some cheerfulness….

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Discuss all you want but also enjoy the moment of achievements as well. I’m saying there is too much negativity around this thread that ought to have some cheerfulness….

I'd say everyone enjoyed the moment last night.  That was yesterday and it didn't change the reality of the situation the team faces.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Obviously you can do whatever you want.

Can we not comment on how it might inappropriate in any particular thread?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis wasn't a genius. A genius would have been able to build a cup contending team while adding prospects.

The reason why that team's contending window was so short lived was because there was no youth coming in to inject some life. Imagine if he found one diamond in the rough with one of the late firsts or the later rounds. Even if we lost in 2011, we may have been able to beat LA in 2012. We all know the road to the cup was wide open that year. 

Gillis was a good GM, he did what he set out to do and that was to construct a roster that can contend. But it was one and done. So I wouldn't give him too much credit.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Interesting thread.  I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand I'm glad we're turning it around. It's what's best for our younger players and I think there's too much talent on the team t properly tank 

On the other hand I want the hope to be stomped out of the optimists so we can stop enabling ownership/management to make short sighted decisions.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1