The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Allvin not a rookie ?

Even Benning wasn’t really a rookie if objectively looking at it. He was a cup winning assistant GM with Boston for 8 years. So not really a rookie objectively. Makes a good lazy scapegoat excuse though I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't know wtf is going on either but I have some very strong views and opinions and I will argue about them 

I've spent too much time shitposting into the void here to pretend I don't like the back and forth 

I know what the answer is but I believe they already blew it. All I can say is they better figure it out while Pettersson is here because there is no guarantees we’ll have an opportunity to draft a gamer like that for the foreseeable future. I just don’t see us doing that. Tear down and rebuild guarantees nothing.

Trading the right players away makes sense to me. Trading Horvat away if he’s not sticking around makes sense to me. Re-signing him if the deals right makes sense to me. Rebuilding however does not make sense to me. It’s a gamble. Kinda like gambling on the defence we already have. To me it’s not black and white. A full real rebuild takes years and we still might suck. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Ofcourse, JR is asked but Allvin is the GM.  Are you suggesting Allvin, is not the real GM ?

No and he’s had the Assistant and Interim GM job in Pittsburgh too so again not exactly a rookie, and under good tutelage of a 3 time Cup Winner. 

I hate that I love this team sometimes. They are a rollercoaster of emotions. Lol. They are on the right side of blowing a lead for once. But I still have my doubts about this roster being playoff legit. But they will for sure play well enough that we won't have a really good first rounder either. Either suck or don't. Don't half in half out man. It hurts my heart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Even Benning wasn’t really a rookie if objectively looking at it. He was a cup winning assistant GM with Boston for 8 years. So not really a rookie objectively. Makes a good lazy scapegoat excuse though I guess. 

Still a rookie GM and he was paid/treated like one by Aquaman and the rest of the league - with the mediocre results to confirm it.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kind of poetic justice that Petey made Matheson look the fool for the OT winner.  All those “Go Habs Go” chanting fans (in our rink) go home seeing that embarrassing loss.  Makes old Alf smile. 

I’m gonna guess that you liked the look on the smurferoo’s face after Petey scored too.

I can only imagine how cocky those Habs fans were getting. Happy to send them home crying.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

I will say the better team won tonight. Canucks came out flying and Mtl scored like 3 goals against the grain. I thought it would be a typical Canuck luck loss tonight in how they manage to find new ways to lose even when outplaying the opponents. 

I am impressed at the fight in this team. 

Im hoping this becomes a catalyst for something special but it is hard to get my hopes up after being disappointed so frequently. 

In terms of all this trade talk, I am secretly hoping that the boys go on a crazy run and are well into the playoffs by TDL. 

If we are barely clinging on to 8th seed or on the outside looking in, we need to sell. 

From now until TDL is more than enough time to evaluate this team. 

We are 7-3 in our last 10. 

More than the record, I want to see consistency in their effort and the way they approach the game on a nightly basis. Our work habits is the greatest indication of whether we have the right personnel here. I'm sick and tired of them coming out flat in an important game and laying an egg. If we see that repetitive behavior, I'd rather not wait til TDL. Ship them out now or as soon as the right deal comes along. 

That Caps game was sickening. So was the first Mtl game and the NJ games. 

When we were down tonight, I was still proud of how the boys came out and played hard. That's all I want to see as a fan of this team. It's the effortless nights that drive me bonkers and want to trade everyone. 

• Cheers 2

On the positive side:

-  Demko is a #1 goalie... he will be back.  Martin is an excellent backup, although probably not a a #1.

-  We have 4 excellent forwards with Miller/Horvat/Kuzmenko/Mikheyev... plus one real star... Pettersson.

-  We have two younger forwards who are growing into their games... and likely one at least of them will be a top six... Hoglander/Podz.  (Podz having a sophomore year)

-  We have assets we can trade or play on the third line... Boeser, Garland

-  We have a decent group which can make up a fourth line, or promote to 3rd line, Dries/Joshua/Studnika/Aman/Lazar

What we don't have is a good defensive system to teach to the forwards and a couple real top 4 D-men.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No and he’s had the Assistant and Interim GM job in Pittsburgh too so again not exactly a rookie, and under good tutelage of a 3 time Cup Winner. 

Very different from an asst giving advice to being the one making the decision - hence the discrepancy in pay & responsibility.  Nice try and lol

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Still a rookie GM and he was paid/treated like one by Aquaman and the rest of the league - with the mediocre results to confirm it.

This isn’t his team it is Benning's team feat Mikheyev and Kuzmenko and a new 4th line. 

He hasn’t even put his stamp on the team yet. :picard:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Being mentored by 2 time Cup Winning GM Jim Rutherford. Not like he’s not giving a tonne of input. 

Three Cups as GM for JR.  One in Carolina and two in Pittsburgh.  I hope our owner does listen and do what JR says is best.

• Cheers 1