The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Yes the cup is the end goal ,the bench mark, but  theres 30 other teams in NHL purgatory every year ,and close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Theres far better teams that come close and fail and on a consistent basis when compared to the canucks you sound very frustrated. And I can sympathize with you. Man I’m 63. And been waiting since I was 11 years old. But I’ve never taken the negative outlook like yours. 

We seem to have different version of NHL Purgatory, what is your version ?

Just now, DeNiro said:

And until that blueprint changes don’t expect any sustained success.

We might be good enough in 5 years for another one and done run with this plan.

Yup.  You’re preaching to the choir.  But Aquilini owns the club.  He’s a good owner except for his unwillingness to allow for rebuilding moves. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

And he got there by severely shortening the window for competing.

I’d rather have 10+ cracks at the cup like Boston than two years.

Nonis’ and Gillis’ drafting assured we wouldn’t have a tenure like Boston. Not the plan. 

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

This game showed that value of our players have only gone up.  We can score and teams are in need for a scorers can look one of us for defensive upgrades. We have plenty of firepower.  If teams are having a hard time pulling a trade, this game will do it to get proper return we all deserve, rather than lowballing us as they have done in the past.  It's good to have some options for once.  Management should feel freer with their trade negotiations and options by listening to their offers.  If they can't, that's on them.  

Whoa take it down a notch bud. Both teams had backup to the backup goalies in net. 

• Haha 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Nonis’ and Gillis’ drafting assured we wouldn’t have a tenure like Boston. Not the plan. 

Which is why I’m not gonna praise Gillis too much for his work.

Yes he built a team that was really good for three seasons but he cut corners and left the team with no chance to compete past a short window.

If he had one eye on restocking with young talent that team should have had one more run in them.

• Vintage 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Linden said a rebuild wasn’t fair to the sedin’s try again. 

Didn't hear that and his firing confirmed that he eventually wanted a rebuild cause it didn't agree with Aquamans' ever retooling plan.  Lol, your putting out hearsay just like you are changing topics 

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Didn't hear that and his firing confirmed that he eventually wanted a rebuild cause it didn't agree with Aquamans' ever retooling plan.  Lol, your putting out hearsay just like you are changing topics 

Oh really?

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/canucks-president-linden-says-rebuild-wouldn-t-be-fair-to-sedins

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which is why I’m not gonna praise Gillis too much for his work.

Yes he built a team that was really good for three seasons but he cut corners and left the team with no chance to compete past a short window.

If he had one eye on restocking with young talent that team should have had one more run in them.

He still put the best team together this franchise has ever seen. Period. Like it or not. 

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

We seem to have different version of NHL Purgatory, what is your version ?

You had mentioned the canucks were in NHL purgatory and I can only assume that’s where the team is for you because they haven't won the cup. And I also said there’s 30 other teams every year that DONT win it either. The team you cheer for is in NHL purgatory the team I cheer for isn’t. We’re both canuck fans, but having played the game at a reasonably high level I have a different appreciation/view of the game Than you. Set your bar a little lower maybe you won’t disappoint yourself so easy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He still put the best team together this franchise has ever seen. Period. Like it or not. 

Not arguing that.

He didn’t accomplish the ultimate goal though and put all his eggs in one basket which was short sighted. 

That’s not a blueprint we should be following.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not arguing that.

He didn’t accomplish the ultimate goal though and put all his eggs in one basket which was short sighted. 

That’s not a blueprint we should be following.

I also have never said we should follow that blueprint either. 

Absolutely dreadful game, these are not the games you want to play and I'd consider this an L, but we somehow find a way to win and honestly it's all thanks to Petey. Not many players can take over a game you're losing 4-0 and win it. Petey's 3 points don't do it justice, he was a machine. 

I thought Bo and Miller looked good, not great, had their chances, score their goals but nothing too flashy from them. I wouldn't mind seeing Kuzmenko play with them to be honest if he's a bit of an odd man out now.

Obviously Pettersson stole the show. Mikheyev looked good but didn't have to do too much, just plant his body in the right place and he did that well. Having a big strong guy like him works well with Petey, that goal from behind the net was so easy. Boeser was really skating well, flying out there at times but to be honest I think playing with Petey right now makes everyone look great - a bit like how playing with the Sedins was easy money. He makes everyone around him better and inflates anyones stats. He is this team's MVP right now and it's not even close, and that's saying a lot considering we've got a 99 point player in Miller and Bo at the top of the league in goals. Those guys don't necessarily make their linemates better, they just play well, whereas Petey makes everyone on the ice better. Last year I'd say Petey was pretty over-rated by a lot of pundits but this year I'd say his play is under-rated.

Our 3rd line looked solid, Garland finally gets a goal (I'm amazed he hasn't become this team's whipping boy, instead it's poor Brock), Kuzmenko looked decent on the line playing against some pretty weak defenders but he belongs in our top-6 in all fairness. Still finds a way to notch 2 points in only 13 minutes of ice-time. Our 4th line looked alright, Studnicka with a really nice goal to be fair. He's just quietly got his career high goals (2) all of a sudden with us...

Defence was an absolute mess and you knew it'd be the case against the young Canadiens. We were always going to be torn up here. So many poorly defended rushes against, we really struggled in the neutral zone and then off the rush. OEL and Myers were just dreadful, they looked so slow against a young team. Even Schenn and Hughes were victimized at times, rough time to give up an own goal by Hughes coming back. Bear didn't make as many bad plays but still wasn't great. Of course looking at the stats, Stillman had a whale of a game with 2 assists and a +3 but he was victimized defensively out there with Myers at times. I hope this good stat line doesn't keep him in the lineup if we've got Wolanin coming up. The only reason all of our defencemen aren't -3 and -4 is because Petey turned it on and demolished their defence, but they all deserve a whack on their plus-minus tonight.

Martin looked terrible tonight, there was a time he let in 4 goals on 8 shots. Probably should have been pulled after the 3rd goal to be fair, it wasn't entirely his fault but he's got to stop some of those goals, but we were a mess around him. I hope Demko going down hasn't altered his mentality because so far, no good. Delia comes in and plays pretty well to be fair but we're not going to have a goalie over .900% for a long, long time. He gets the W though, but surely Martin starts next game and good goalies have a strong bounce-back performance.

PK was solid to be fair, I thought they'd get shredded but shut the door there and the PP score yet another simple goal, we haven't seen the bumper to Bo play for a while but the Miller shot or point tip shot just works so well. Even Petey slap shots haven't happened much lately which I'd like to see more of but can't complain when we hover around 25% on the season.

On the whole, dreadful performance. Petey single-handedly won us this game when the entire defence looked like they were trying to lose it. Now we're 1 game off .500, we can't let it slip again, on the road against SJS bodes well for us to get it back. Crazy to think we're 2 points behind Colorado (obviously with 3 games in hand), and just 2 back of Calgary. We need to get on a bit of a roll but it won't happen defending like this. BB better shake up this defence in a big way after tonight, but I think he'll keep our forward lines the same just for the time being. The next 3 games are huge - hopefully an easy SJS win, a tough one against Minny at home, then a monster Calgary game on the road. If we can win 2 of them we'll be above .500...

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So the escape goat for not doing what is best are the TWINS and lame way to make a point to defend the mediocrity.  Like I said, when mediocrity is the result, someone or something has to be blamed; and are you that naive to believe what they say vs what is being done: the ever retooling strategy. Also, which current Cup champ team was rebuilding during that time ?  

Also, do you know that kool-aid is not good for you ?  NEXT TOPIC 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

So the escape goat for not doing what is best are the TWINS and lame way to make a point to defend the mediocrity.  Like I said, when mediocrity is the result, someone or something has to be blamed; and are you that naive to believe what they say vs what is being done: the ever retooling strategy. Also, which current Cup champ team was rebuilding during that time ?  

Also, do you know that kool-aid is not good for you ?

Heard that one already. Broken record.