The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Eeli Tolvanen

14 hours ago, Devron said:

I did and people be all like he’s only 20 or something. It goes both ways though. I called out people that said Jack Hughes is a bust and I knew he would be a star

I Called Byfield a bust after the WJC. Looking like a good guess too,

Devron FTW

Byfield looks an awful lot like Thompson at the same age... Seems very premature to call him a busy at this point. Guess we'll see.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Byfield looks an awful lot like Thompson at the same age... Seems very premature to call him a busy at this point. Guess we'll see.

I called him a bust before he even played in the NHL. That’s about as premature as it gets. That’s the point and the fun of it. Not everyone can play and be a good player in this league. It’s interesting to make guesses and see how it pans out

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Devron said:

I called him a bust before he even played in the NHL. That’s about as premature as it gets. That’s the point and the fun of it. Not everyone can play and be a good player in this league. It’s interesting to make guesses and see how it pans out

Curious, but what about the player makes you think bust? I have made some good calls in my time (I was vocal that Seider was a top 5 pick his draft year) but it's easier for me to see skills that transfer, not skills that don't transfer.

What do you see in a player like Byfield that makes you think it won't translate? His size and style of play?

• Cheers 1

Friedman on his podcast says its a cap issue.  Nashville has close to no cap space and have injuries on D (lost another 2 Ds this weekend) - they need his cap space to be able to recall players to replace their injured Ds.  

Says there's interest and expects him to get claimed.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Curious, but what about the player makes you think bust? I have made some good calls in my time (I was vocal that Seider was a top 5 pick his draft year) but it's easier for me to see skills that transfer, not skills that don't transfer.

What do you see in a player like Byfield that makes you think it won't translate? His size and style of play?

A lot of it is just gut feeling. I remember watching him in the WJC and thinking this guy went 2nd overall?? I heard Malkin comparisons but Malkin took off right away. Maybe he catches up to his body and he is good. I don’t know I don’t see it. He should be tearing up the AHL and he’s just meh there too

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

A lot of it is just gut feeling. I remember watching him in the WJC and thinking this guy went 2nd overall?? I heard Malkin comparisons but Malkin took off right away. Maybe he catches up to his body and he is good. I don’t know I don’t see it. He should be tearing up the AHL and he’s just meh there too

I feel like my guy gets me to make some fun picks when it comes to players who become good, but I also make many picks of players I think will be good who aren't. Maybe I'm to optimistic to have an objective view sometimes.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I feel like my guy gets me to make some fun picks when it comes to players who become good, but I also make many picks of players I think will be good who aren't. Maybe I'm to optimistic to have an objective view sometimes.

It’s like 50-50 for me haha I guess that’s why it’s just for fun.

One thing I’m always wrong about though is my Canucks :lol:

Why not even try?  We are obviously in the process of moving Boeser, maybe Bo and likely others, and this is just a free player with higher end potential we could at least try out with some of our skilled players.  Young skilled depth is a good thing to have as you move out vets.

This team needs to pick a direction at least.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Why not even try?  We are obviously in the process of moving Boeser, maybe Bo and likely others, and this is just a free player with higher end potential we could at least try out with some of our skilled players.  Young skilled depth is a good thing to have as you move out vets.

We love our dries / petans / Stillmans instead. Even more love if they make more than 1m 

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Prospect/depth pool.

it’d be nice to build that up at some F’ing point.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We love our dries / petans / Stillmans instead. Even more love if they make more than 1m 

We sure do.  Not sure why.  Only way we should like them if we are tank commanders, but the rest of the team is too good to tank.  This whole team needs some direction and it sure doesn't have it to this point.  We need to divest in some high paid wingers for futures, take on a few young lotto tickets like Tolvanen, P Myers, and Valimaki (Zero risk!!!!), and then plug the gaps in FA where we actually need them.  It's odd, because it's actually not that difficult.  Maybe the waiver claim paperwork is too much of a hassle.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We also need a few more guys like Poolman who never earned their contract value and can’t seem to stay healthy. That’s our other piece of buttered bread

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Wow all the bottom feeders passed on a potential TDL profit flip. At the same time the 1.5m or whatever is probably alot more valuable in cap space lol. Unless you're the Canucks of course 

Is this is just another example of poor cap management on our part?  We don't have room for this guy or what?