The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday December 17 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Winnipeg Jets - 7:00pm PT/10:00pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

11 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Is that worth Dickinson and a 2nd though? Also, if they had made trades last year like JR was talking about we would not have had to make stupid trades like this. 

When you take all things about this trade into consideration it was a move to free up space

sending dickenson down to the minors would only clear 1.2 million in cap, getting rid of him and bringing in stillman can clear all of all but 135,000 by sending stillman down to the minors

the 2nd hurt, but this move allowed the acquisition of bear, who is looking quite good, so looking at the product the team ended up with the two moves combined and including bears play which is improving every game, Id say it was an ok move

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wanless said:

When you take all things about this trade into consideration it was a move to free up space

sending dickenson down to the minors would only clear 1.2 million in cap, getting rid of him and bringing in stillman can clear all of all but 135,000 by sending stillman down to the minors

the 2nd hurt, but this move allowed the acquisition of bear, who is looking quite good, so looking at the product the team ended up with the two moves combined and including bears play which is improving every game, Id say it was an ok move

My thought which has now been lost was in part B of the question which was why has Stillman not been sent down? I understand we traded Dickinson and a Second for Stillman.

I also mentioned in my original post that we did not have to hold on to JT and instead traded him to the Rangers and Rathbone for Marino thus getting two RHD. The guy I quoted only chose to get upset about getting cap. 

well, miller can fill the C spot but u cant replace peteys shot and playmaking abilities. tough loosing ur no 1 center for any team, but in particular for us since hes such a strong 2 way player. brock can be replaced, but why not give podz a call??? bet hes pretty hungry for some NHL action again. this one is gonna be a tough one, gonna be a battle.....

Edited by Mrwipeout

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean it’s been only one off season and almost the entire league is in cap hell not sure what people like you expected at this point so far. 

man 73_3, you have become the management's chief apologist

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

man 73_3, you have become the management's chief apologist

It's not an apology if you are looking at CapFriendly.

There's only 8 teams with $3.5+ million in cap space.

That's only 1/4 of the league. And the team can't take extra cap space back.

So unless you're ok with selling at a loss. That didn't leave a lot of options.

I don't think other NHL teams value Canucks players the way Canucks fans do.

If the team can pull of some hockey trades (giving up something to get something) that might help.

Bottom line, this is going to a long process. The hope is teams will get desperate at the trade deadline. And maybe we can move some pieces then.

Even if you changed ownership and management. The cap situation around the league, I don't think much would change.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1