The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm totally disillusioned with our team. Yesterday's game shows that we can't play defence (which we all knew) but we can't score either against well-organised defences. The signings we made have done little to change the overall picture, sure BB can tinker with the lines but the end result will be the same.

Looking at CapFriendly the only team in a worse position than us is the Habs. Teams like The Ducks and the Hawks who blew the thing up and are going full tank will get a great pick and posssibly a game changer. We on the other hand, will pick in the tweens and get a good player, but not one who will turn this franchise around.

After the beginning to our season I was prepared to accept failure if it meant picking high in next year's draft, but playing .500 hockey just means the worst of both worlds. No playoffs, no high pick. Add to that some contracts that are like a millstone around our neck and it is a grim outlook.

• Like 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Yep…EP would be a terrible choice at this point. You think Bo is quiet. He would need to garner the respect over years before he could be name C….much like Henrik. It seems the perceived leaders either have loud voices or just ooze veteran respect.

He's got respect. In spades.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't have any faith left. I think I'm very close to giving up altogether on this team for a couple years. I've never seen this level of incompetency before with the team. Not even a plan for hope. Just more crap and delusional thinking.

Let the jerseys come down and then we'll see if that smug little sh!t Allvin is still smiling like a deranged lunatic.

I don't begrudge anyone stepping back tbh, there's more to life than hockey and given the inconsistently of this team hours spent watching could definitely be better spent 

I'll still follow closely but I don't feel bad about missing games, even when they win I don't believe this roster is really going anywhere 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Bo absolutely does not do his part. Scoring is only 1 part of the equation. He is failing at leading on the ice. Failing at inspiring the team. Failing at conducting himself as a true leader. 

This team has had a country club atmosphere and attitude for years, all while Bo has been wearing the C

Couldnt of said it any better..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

We’ll agree to disagree; I see a total lack of coaching and direction from the FO for the last 8 years being the big issue here. Bo was in THAT dysfunctional system…Linden grew up in the Pat Quinn era of accountability. We have none; just look at the scratches and way BB runs the team.

just look the other players, Bo deserves to be given a chance in a better system with proper support before we cast judgement on his lack of leadership and such. This franchise is a train wreck, and the last player that should be blamed is Bo.

Once again, the two stooges should have started their tenure off by doing 4 things: 1) assess team last winter/spring 2) Bring in your coach and system in early summer 3) rebuild d; ur stated #1 priority 4) only sign players to short term contracts until you have the team chemistry and system figured out.

they failed on all 4 fronts.

I am good with that...each to their own, but your wrong! ::D 

IMO, Bo does not lead with emotion.....he is not that guy.

I think when Bo gets to another team, where there is already leadership in place, you are going to see a different Bo. IMO, it will be a much easier for Bo to play his game. But it will change.

I do agree with you comments on JR and Allvin, though. 

All in all, good points!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Bo absolutely does not do his part. Scoring is only 1 part of the equation. He is failing at leading on the ice. Failing at inspiring the team. Failing at conducting himself as a true leader. 

This team has had a country club atmosphere and attitude for years, all while Bo has been wearing the C

I 100% agree with this.

If we remove the country club players and create new culture this is a much different team. Not everyone on the roster is at fault for this. This is why I don't believe we need a full tear down rebuild. Plus a full rebuild doesn't even guarantee success. Look at Edmonton. 4 1st overall picks and they're barely scraping the surface of "contender" status.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There'll be more jerseys on the ice before the season is said and done, fans are growing increasingly tired of this Jekyll and Hyde team.

Just tinkering is not gonna fix this group.

Hell, I'm already growing more disinterested in this current iteration of the Canucks. Just gonna be another season where we likely finish in no man's land. Too high to grab an impact players. It's been a long ten years.

I don't have much faith in this management group to navigate fixing this mess.

Going to be a long season for management and ownership. Schedule is going to get tougher as well lol

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yep…EP would be a terrible choice at this point. You think Bo is quiet. He would need to garner the respect over years before he could be name C….much like Henrik. It seems the perceived leaders either have loud voices or just ooze veteran respect.

I think he's respected, I would prefer to have a captain in a different vein though

I like it when it's not your premier guys being captain 

Your Boone Jenner, Jordan Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Kyle Okposo

Lots of teams make a top guy captain, I'd rather those guys just focus on playing though

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats a good point.

Would never want to push the C on him if he doesn't want it.

I think he deserves first right of refusal though.

If he wants it that's one thing, I'd still be inclined to go with A's for a few years though

I wouldn't be upset with him as captain but it's not my preference as noted above

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I disagree with this team being Jekyll and Hyde. They are bad and always been bad. Their defence is consistently bad every game even in the wins. Their goalie is consistently average below average. Only difference is whether or not the other team goalie lays an egg or not. 

Yup..they just a bottom 8 team..that are terrible on D and below average goaltending

During the game, seeing Rutherford, Allvin, Castonguay and Granato in the skybox, like some weird double date, I wonder what they talk about after a game like that. Do they not see the urgent need for change? They just sit there watching their ship slowly sink, and they're not doing anything about it.

I'm certainly in no rush to go to another Canucks game until big, optimistic changes are made. I kind of felt bad for all of those people that wasted their evening (and money) going to the game, just to witness that fiasco. I felt a little embarrassed that our team looked so bad in a prime time game. I had such high hopes for this season, I guess the Rutherford mystique is all talk. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

During the game, seeing Rutherford, Allvin, Castonguay and Granato in the skybox, like some weird double date, I wonder what they talk about after a game like that. Do they not see the urgent need for change?

They see their pay cheques that Aquilini gives them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Unless you're in the room you have no idea what is going on or being said.

From my perspective - what I can see on the ice - Petey is this teams leader, and he's willing to work his tail off BOTH ENDS of the rink. Us as fans have all rallied around him and I have no reason to believe why the team doesn't feel the same way either.

I also feel like, judging from his interviews and comments, he has a deep desire to win. Not just win games but win a championship. I see a fire in his eyes that Bo doesn't have, and that Henrik didn't even have.

Just my 2 cents. I'd be picking him to be the captain in the 2024 offseason. Give this team some healthy competition next year and allow players to grow into position's of leadership.

• There it is 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

January and February are gonna be a rude awakening for some folks imo

The rude awakening should’ve been when they barely beat Habs, Sharks and Yotes and got outplayed by most of these bottom teams.

Whatever though, other sports making up for it for me. I got Curry and this World Cup game was one of the best sports games I’ve seen. 

Canucks just aren’t interesting anymore.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

One can legitimately believe that trading Bo is the best thing for the health of the organization. But the way some of you have turned on the player here is absolutely gross.

Before we establish the best things for players, we need to re-establish the organization. I honestly thought that was happening with JR & PA; they were going to come on and imposes themselves on the organization. Theirs coaches, their system, bring in their style of players…… Instead, we get JB level decisions, but with empty statements and internal criticism. It’s just downright embarrassing. 

I can handle a rebuild….I can handle a retool…what I can’t handle is empty promises, critism, and much of the same with no accountability. Quite honestly, the Oilers are a better run organization now…so sad.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1