The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

What happened to Stan Smyl. Remember his press conference last year about being tired of watching this team be too easy to play against.

Then JR got hired and I haven't heard or seen much since 

Smyl.   Only guy on this team, that's  anything like 3/4's of the guys he led in his playing days is Schenn.   This team needs to get angry on the ice at this point.   We saw some of that early on when they were blowing leads.    Greens lessons and Bombers 5 man box are starting to make sense with the players we have now, maybe he just saw it for what it was and did what he could (said it at the time too, and was roasted for it). 

Miller took the team on his back for quite the ride last season... but he didn't do it on his own.   Team knows they can win games.   If they put the effort in.    And keep some of those lessons they learned from both coaches.  Demko out and not playing up to his level hurt ... if there ever was a time to make some changes, this is the year.    Haven't seen anything like this since the Keanan era.    And that really wasn't that long.    That hurt yes, a lot of fan favourites were shipped out ...that said he never iced a team that wasn't tough to play against.   Like Smyls teams. 

Just start with one major trade and go from there.   We will have to do that regardless which path is taken.    And if we have to retain so be it.   Only this and next season left on Brock and Myers. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Smyl.   Only guy on this team, that's  anything like 3/4's of the guys he led in his playing days is Schenn.   This team needs to get angry on the ice at this point.   We saw some of that early on when they were blowing leads.    Greens lessons and Bombers 5 man box are starting to make sense with the players we have now, maybe he just saw it for what it was and did what he could (said it at the time too, and was roasted for it). 

Miller took the team on his back for quite the ride last season... but he didn't do it on his own.   Team knows they can win games.   If they put the effort in.    And keep some of those lessons they learned from both coaches.  Demko out and not playing up to his level hurt ... if there ever was a time to make some changes, this is the year.    Haven't seen anything like this since the Keanan era.    And that really wasn't that long.    That hurt yes, a lot of fan favourites were shipped out ...that said he never iced a team that wasn't tough to play against.   Like Smyls teams. 

Just start with one major trade and go from there.   We will have to do that regardless which path is taken.    And if we have to retain so be it.   Only this and next season left on Brock and Myers. 

Bo, Brock, Myers out 

a penalty killing 3C, a defensive minded RD, and some picks in (probably a bad contract as well) 

our team will score less but will probably be better 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Devron said:

I can accept losing Horvat if we get a great return. I just can’t remember ever selling a player and getting a great return.

Just wait.

The next scare tactic is to compare any Horvat trade to the disaster the Neely trade was.

But there was a lesson there, the Canucks were trying to retool to get better so they traded for position.

Boston just traded for a really good young prospect and draft pick they didn't really need at the time, they traded for the future.

Now reverse that trade for Horvat.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Only guy on this team, that's  anything like 3/4's of the guys he led in his playing days is Schenn.   This team needs to get angry on the ice at this point.   We saw some of that early on when they were blowing leads

They did get angry but the game was already over, like the rest of the game waited too long to care

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

The worst part is some of the most predominant and frequent posters on this board are the ones who sit way up on their high horse and laugh and belittle the realists on this forum who have for years called a spade a spade that this franchise is sputtering out of control because they think they are the smartest people in the room and know better. The staunch Benning loyalists and bad contract signing defenders I’m looking at you. 

These frequent posters as you put it would initiate attacks on realists who dare say anything negative about the team... like their life depended on it.  It's fine for them to cheer and believe in whatever positives they want but the second you say anything bad about the team... they want you to go away and stop posting on this forum.  Last I checked they don't own this forum and honestly there is no need to start attacking other fans' just because they start critiquing your beloved team.  The worse ones' imo are the ones that say if you don't stick and cheer positively for this team even if they aren't playing well then please go cheer for another team because REAL fans do that.

Edited by quattrobaj
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hate to break it to you, but Brock has 2 more seasons on his contract after this one...

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Bring in Gillis, he can build something around these kids. At the very least, he can't be worse. Remember when our biggest problems were finding someone to take MayRay and Ballard? Simpler times.

He can absolutely be worse; look at the mess he created due to his gross incompetence and inability to evaluate players.  I wouldn't hire that baboon to run the concessions.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

He would for sure. People missing Edler…. I remember years and years of the same comments OEL is getting. Everyone on the backend is exposed when only half of them are NHL worthy and you have have a back up goalie playing every night

People complain about Brocks skating all the time.   Edler was picked apart the entirety of his last two deals with us.   Now the same posters miss him?   His skating slowed down significantly his last season with us.   Not that it's something you will see me complaining about - guy was great infront of the net and good enough on the boards.   His six million dollar deal was expensive...And some fans never seemed to forgive him for not scoring over 50 again...left wanting more I suppose.

All Edlers flak went straight onto Myers back.   Now Myers is slowing down and his gaffes are that much more noticable. Not that he's slow because he really isn't, not if you compare him to Edler anyways.   I'm glad Edler moved on if only to see him have some success elsewhere (big praise in LA when Doughty went down last season) .   My only criticism is it would have been nice to see him retire playing for one team, and that he didn't pick a winner, just a team that wanted him at his preferred rate... optics seem like money matters most.    That's a country club atmosphere that was created after Nonis was canned and seems to still persist to this day for whatever reason.   

Deals need to be limited.   Paying RFAs for doing nothing makes zero sense to me (Hansen also was very clear on this a month into this season - our roster is full of a bunch of high paid guys who've never accomplished squat).   It's institutionalized now, GMs looking for that cap savings down the road, rolling the dice all the time, but very apparent on this roster.     

The Sedins were our greatest players.   Yes they were paid like them too.  But their deals were never long.   ELC, bridge, one year again to prove it, then their five year followed by a four year legacy deal.   9 years of legacy, but they had to earn it first.   And did.   People complaining about Millers deal have one leg to stand on and the second one is worrying about regression which is legit. Both Duchene and Skinner had a bad year after signing their deals.    But he did it the right way.   Imagine if all our young guys, outperformed their deals like Miller did his last deal (2RFA/2UFA).  That's how this system worked for decades.   Mess with it and you get what you get.   And bridges are supposed to be low.  

Wed he over the moon right now.   EP would have scored 100 last season.   Brock 35/35 the past three seasons.   QHs a Norris finalist or close to it.   

Now this year is all about what to do about Horvat as the key (Miller last season).    Both Miller and Horvat are as blue chip for what they do as they come.  Warts and all. 

For the record i'd like to keep both if we can.   But also get that this team needs change, and sometimes we have to accept that requires thinking about team first.   To me Horvat fits both paths.   But we'd need to move awfully fast on other deals to make it work for the team.   Sign the guy and get rid of that noise - or let the league know he's available for a sign and trade.   The returns go up significantly in that case.   Like the panel said a couple games ago,  you win a cup with a guy like Horvat, and there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want him.  Including ours. 

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Bo, Brock, Myers out 

a penalty killing 3C, a defensive minded RD, and some picks in (probably a bad contract as well) 

our team will score less but will probably be better 

We need that and Horvat ideally.   But get that Horvat is probably on his way out.   This team i believe, needs some absolute savy trade moves to get to the next level.    Or a proper old fashioned rebuild around EP and QHs.    Seattle is now proving what Vegas got wasn't a one off.   Don't know how sustainable it is and still have some doubts it's real.    But they are showing that a collection of middle class players, is a big deal.   Ours cap is screwy.    Myers out helps depending on who we get back.    Those Hutton, Del Zotto, Stetcher days (and i liked Stetcher but not in the top four) were painful.     

I don't see this team getting better quickly.   We'd need some pretty lopsided deals.    Also pretty sure it's going to be blown up before the TDL if we go one even one more losing streak.

Still want the team to sign Horvat and do some miraculous trading to fix the D... but get that boat is in the water already and getting ready to leave the marina.  

There is a scenario where we just have a down year on the way to better things.   Wish i could tell you this is what's happening right now.   Management needs to make a decision soon though.  And hope they make the right one.    Firmly in blow it to smitherings or finish the job.   We have two very promising players.   One seems legit in EP.   I have zero issue with a quantity of players that aren't top tier, but we'd need that on our D as well.   As of now we have the wrong mix.    If they can fix that, all hope isn't lost. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He can absolutely be worse; look at the mess he created due to his gross incompetence and inability to evaluate players.  I wouldn't hire that baboon to run the concessions.

Heffy you don't disappoint.   Show your mean.   "I'm not prejudiced, i hate everyone equally"  ... so points for consistency.   But am curious, is there any GM we've ever had you do like?  

• Cheers 1

Don’t worry, we have no interest in rebuilding cause this team is really good. We’re gonna get a better centre for Horvat or a top RHD cause everyone is trading those. It’s totally fine and this team is great, please keep spending your money