The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, jyu said:

Dermott can't be worse than Stillman though.

At least Dermott can skate and make a decent pass.

No I don't argue that but he's not Bobby Orr either. He's just another crap 6/7 support player. Let's not pretend we're suddenly going to be a top 10 defensive team with him.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

We can always just sign him too.    Both have merits...but if he wants out then not much the team can do.  

I highly doubt Bo wants out. Dude has green/blue Canuck blood running through his veins. They offer what he and and his negotiating team thinks is a fair deal, he will happily sign on the dotted line. And I have zero doubts he will cut the team a break compared to what he could now get in free agency.

I’m actually of the mind that Bo resigning is becoming more likely as his remarkable season becomes even more remarkable with each game. Ol’ Aquaman won’t be too keen to ship out the beloved Captain (Bo is far more liked than what this forum would have you believe, lol) who is looking to put together one of the greatest goal scoring campaigns in team history. In the midst of a very possible playoff push no less.

And here is one instance where I think I’m on board with the Chairman. Bo, whether its the Oates effect or not, has become a different level of offensive player. It’s actually quite remarkable. One could argue that Bo has become a bit of a unicorn right before our very eyes. Elite goal scoring and faceoff centre….and he has made some really nice setups of late which sort of refute the argument that can’t pass and play make. Bo is, quite simply, the type of player you endeavour to keep. I get the salary cap aspect and the challenge it poses….but this management group comprised of “legends” is paid to figure it out. Figure it out Rutherford and company.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jdubman said:

THIS!! Always the case every year. We suck the lollipop of mediocrity and end up middle of the pack. Management figures we can't trade any players as we need them for the playoffs - only to let them walk for nothing!  

Yes. That's why it can be so difficult to get excited that and the wins have come against Medicare or lower teams so it's hard to continue to accept low standards and push on like it's going to get them somewhere. If they continue and win then it's different but that D is atrocious. A couple of games doesn't erase that. People are angry if you state the truth but it's delaying what we all know is the issue. The one good thing is that they could trade players while they are playing well. They are more valuable now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

I highly doubt Bo wants out. Dude has green/blue Canuck blood running through his veins. They offer what he and and his negotiating team thinks is a fair deal, he will happily sign on the dotted line. And I have zero doubts he will cut the team a break compared to what he could now get in free agency.

I’m actually of the mind that Bo resigning is becoming more likely as his remarkable season becomes even more remarkable with each game. Ol’ Aquaman won’t be too keen to ship out the beloved Captain (Bo is far more liked than what this forum would have you believe, lol) who is looking to put together one of the greatest goal scoring campaigns in team history. In the midst of a very possible playoff push no less.

And here is one instance where I think I’m on board with the Chairman. Bo, whether its the Oates effect or not, has become a different level of offensive player. It’s actually quite remarkable. One could argue that Bo has become a bit of a unicorn right before our very eyes. Elite goal scoring and faceoff centre….and he has made some really nice setups of late which sort of refute the argument that can’t pass and play make. Bo is, quite simply, the type of player you endeavour to keep. I get the salary cap aspect and the challenge it poses….but this management group comprised of “legends” is paid to figure it out. Figure it out Rutherford and company.

So your solution for a mediocre team without any real valuable assets to get help on d is to keep it the same long term and sign Bo. Smart solution. 

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hint, being miserable about it and telling others to do so does fk all to fix the team. 

Sure, gatekeeping and telling people not to celebrate a 3 game win streak is an odd way of showing joy. 

Tip if multiple people are calling you out for it and you do it ad nauseam every win perhaps you should change your approach. 

IRONY MORNING.png

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so is our future 7x8million player demoted to the 3rd line playing with garland and lazar as his winger now?? unless he's going to get all his points on the PP the rest of the season.. he might not even reach 70 points this season as he's already only projecting to 75 points this season. 

OMG what a horrible decision. Cup or bust in 2 years. :frantic:

:(

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

So your solution for a mediocre team without any real valuable assets to get help on d is to keep it the same long term and sign Bo. Smart solution. 

I simply see Bo as too valuable to this team on the ice to simply say he has to be traded. And I honestly think the chance he is going to be resigned is much higher than the prevailing opinion around here. Like I said, this management team was lauded to be amazing by many when they came on board…so I’d like to think they can effort some overall roster improvement with Horvat remaining. But if they trade Horvat, they better get the trade haul of all time because thats the only way they are going to be able to somewhat mitigate the PR fail of trading away your originally drafted Captain who at almost the half way point in an NHL season is second in goal scoring. 

You gotta hand it to Bo for putting the screws to a management team who acted as if they thought Miller was the better player. What a blunder.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Devron said:

You take cap back. Maybe expiring contracts. It’s not rocket science. It’s how trade are made these days 

But how do we take 8 years of cap back, and what does that gain us? It was a bad signing by us and now the contract is almost unmovable. It could be done with some heartache and cost but I'd say management is not even looking at that unfortunately. Should have let a win now team that needed him sign him to the anchor retirement deal. We is royally screwed.

6 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I simply see Bo as too valuable to this team on the ice to simply say he has to be traded. And I honestly think the chance he is going to be resigned is much higher than the prevailing opinion around here. Like I said, this management team was lauded to be amazing by many when they came on board…so I’d like to think they can effort some overall roster improvement with Horvat remaining. But if they trade Horvat, they better get the trade haul of all time because thats the only way they are going to be able to somewhat mitigate the PR fail of trading away your originally drafted Captain who at almost the half way point in an NHL season is second in goal scoring. 

You gotta hand it to Bo for putting the screws to a management team who acted as if they thought Miller was the better player. What a blunder.

Well you also have to remember that Miller played well and got his contract before his contract expired and now Bo is doing the same thing. It's not crazy that they play well before their contracts expire. They want the most money they can get for free agency to set themselves up in the future. I am not so impressed by individual statistics as I am TEAM statistics. That's what should be the most important thing for this management group and fans. Too often I find that we all get caught up in individual statistics when the record show this team doesn't mix well. It's a roller coaster team. It's not great if everyone is having a career year and yet we are .500 or lower. How many times must we go through it's just not a cohesive group.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

9 hours ago, BPA said:

If Miller could find his groove back and be the dominating centre like last year, Canucks would have 3 potent scoring lines.

It was all Chiasson. :lol: 

Miller was super lucky always playing on the top line in the prime situations. Now that he has to share and be responsible to his teammates and the game we're seeing the serious flaws in his game.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would not. 

I agree on both avenues have their equal amounts of pros and cons.

But I would just trade him so he can go on to a team that can win.

I honestly feel bad for Horvat that he's played almost 600 games and most of that is with losing. 

If we are going to trade him, be prepared for a little bit more than Claude Girouix got.   Toews and Kane 50% retained could also be on the market as well.   Yes Horvat, like Miller last year and well Claude Giroux, will be the prized rentals.   Just hope you don't have ridiculous expectations like quite a few had with trading Miller last season.   Miller actually did it 3 years in a row - not one - and before anyone starts talking about EP - or wingers - Horvat had equal time with all those guys last season too.   If it's about money that I get, but agree with the panel, you win cups with Horvat on the team (five or so games ago).   It won't paralyze or hurt our team by re-signing him.    Sure maybe we lost out a bit by playing hardball.   And if Horvat wants 9.5 x 7 then bye bye.  Same as some who were thinking 10 for Miller lol.  It's not going to happen.   

And Horvats return likely will be underwhelming. 

Edit:  And Miller had another year on his deal.   We all know what that deal was.   That's about what we can expect best case - trading Horvat.   I also not even sure we do.   If we climb back into a nice safe spot.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

It was all Chiasson. :lol: 

Miller was super lucky always playing on the top line in the prime situations. Now that he has to share and be responsible to his teammates and the game we're seeing the serious flaws in his game.

Pre game last night were pointing out how JT had been put on wing to help Bo with his 5 on 5 game.

He was placed on wing in the top 6 due to BB's lack of faith in our wingers. Not because JT cant play centre.

Now, coach has the team balanced with the forwards the way he wanted and we are seeing the results. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

But how do we take 8 years of cap back, and what does that gain us? It was a bad signing by us and now the contract is almost unmovable. It could be done with some heartache and cost but I'd say management is not even looking at that unfortunately. Should have let a win now team that needed him sign him to the anchor retirement deal. We is royally screwed.

I disagree, he would have been paid in free agency term and all

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No I don't argue that but he's not Bobby Orr either. He's just another crap 6/7 support player. Let's not pretend we're suddenly going to be a top 10 defensive team with him.

You are right. We won't be a top 10 defensive team by just adding Dermott.

The hope is that Dermott can help us improve on PK and make the third pairing better. Our weakest link so far has been the third pairing, whether it was Myers-Stillman or Schenn-Stillman. That's not to say that other two pairings are top 10, but they aren't and should not be 30th. 

If Dermott can improve the third pairing  and PK enough to help us go from 30th ranked defensive team to say 25th ranked team, that's a huge win. If we can get our PK to around 75%, that's 25th in the league. If we can decrease our GA per game by about 0.3? The scoring is #7 in the league so that means we will be winning a lot of games.

Big IF is whether Dermott will be good right away. He had a very long lay off. Probably very rusty.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1