The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

I highly doubt Bo wants out. Dude has green/blue Canuck blood running through his veins. They offer what he and and his negotiating team thinks is a fair deal, he will happily sign on the dotted line. And I have zero doubts he will cut the team a break compared to what he could now get in free agency.

I’m actually of the mind that Bo resigning is becoming more likely as his remarkable season becomes even more remarkable with each game. Ol’ Aquaman won’t be too keen to ship out the beloved Captain (Bo is far more liked than what this forum would have you believe, lol) who is looking to put together one of the greatest goal scoring campaigns in team history. In the midst of a very possible playoff push no less.

And here is one instance where I think I’m on board with the Chairman. Bo, whether its the Oates effect or not, has become a different level of offensive player. It’s actually quite remarkable. One could argue that Bo has become a bit of a unicorn right before our very eyes. Elite goal scoring and faceoff centre….and he has made some really nice setups of late which sort of refute the argument that can’t pass and play make. Bo is, quite simply, the type of player you endeavour to keep. I get the salary cap aspect and the challenge it poses….but this management group comprised of “legends” is paid to figure it out. Figure it out Rutherford and company.

Horvat has always had to accept the wingers offered.

Now when we added Mikhejev and Kuz we got wingers for him also.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We can move so folks from the wing to help out the D

Its not the mountian you make it out to be. 

Do you not notice people saying this every year and yet it never happens?

It's not so easy to just switch any given team's 3 or 4 worst contracts for good ones.

51 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Pearson, Garland, Boeser can all be replaced with cheaper contracts.

those 3 = 15 mil + the other 15 mil in cap space come july 1st 2023.

Not as hurting as some suggest, imagine if Miller is traded... there's another 8 mil:P

Can I just ask the organization to do one thing. Have these jerseys as our main jerseys. I just love the striping, colours, laces, numbers etc. At least if they are going with the orca to put them on this jersey. They need to be our full time jersey. They just look amazing. If they were smart they would. Anyone else think so? It just pops on the ice. Anyone else know if they are just for this year?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I guess we'll see dermott vs the jets

Be nice to see. Hopefully he is ready. BB sticking to his word about rotating players to make sure they see some game time. Stillman back out, even though he actually played ok. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you not notice people saying this every year and yet it never happens?

It's not so easy to just switch any given team's 3 or 4 worst contracts for good ones.

Absolutely; you can’t just flip bad contracts for a Top 4 Dman. Aside from Petterson, Demko, Hughes, Schenn, and Bo, no one other than our dudes on entry level contracts are easily marketable. 

what we need to do is just trade Beoser for whatever we can get; just get out of the contract. How I wish PA woulda just given him his QO….grabbed a 2nd at TDL.

Ditto Garland so we can resign Kuz.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What a wonky response.

This is what the crew was saying pre game, and intermission. That BB wants 3 centres and he wasn't thrilled about his wingers etc..

Who's the AHL centre? JT?

Are you being intellectually honest here?

Yes I am being honest. I meant he played Aman, Studnicka, and Pederson et al, at Center instead of Miller. I mean if you honestly think Miller was being played there to fix the winger issues okay then. We'll agree to disagree on that one. I guess the winger issues are now fixed? I thought it was well documented that JT was massively struggling at Center to start the season so I don't want to re-argue that.

Hopefully Miller shows he can lead a line and be of great value there moving forward. I will still always prefer a checking 3C whose value is half of JT's. I don't think running $26 mil for 3 Centers is feasible in the NHL without great values elsewhere in the line-up.

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Be nice to see. Hopefully he is ready. BB sticking to his word about rotating players to make sure they see some game time. Stillman back out, even though he actually played ok. 

Stillman looked good bc of Schenn, that’s why I’m excited to see Dermott. Not the biggest fan, but he’s better than Stillman by a country mile.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You can't tweak if you don't have the picks and assets. Do people not understand how trades work? Teams at our age range usually have a stack full of prospects and picks and we don't unfortunately. Sure try to trade Myers,OEL, Boeser, Garland, Pearson but what impact players do you really expect to get back. Others teams aren't dumb and know the Canucks conundrum they are in.

Nobody expects impact players back from Myers, Boeser, Garland, Pearson.  I leave out OEL as he won't be dealt.  If we can get a handful of mid round picks/prospects for them that would be a win, even with slight retention on Pearson and Myers.  

Moving those guys out, even just for cap space gives us the flexibility to sign Horvat, Kuzmenko, and re work our D.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes I am being honest. I meant he played Aman, Studnicka, and Pederson et al, at Center instead of Miller. I mean if you honestly think Miller was being played there to fix the winger issues okay then. We'll agree to disagree on that one. I guess the winger issues are now fixed? I thought it was well documented that JT was massively struggling at Center to start the season so I don't want to re-argue that.

Hopefully Miller shows he can lead a line and be of great value there moving forward. I will still always prefer a checking 3C whose value is half of JT's. I don't think running $26 mil for 3 Centers is feasible in the NHL without great values elsewhere in the line-up.

We need to get Podz going again to pair with Miller. That Podz-Miller-Garland line was great last year. 

And you are right; I like all the depth guys you mentioned, but on the 4th line. Playing them with Miller does him no favours.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Nobody expects impact players back from Myers, Boeser, Garland, Pearson.  I leave out OEL as he won't be dealt.  If we can get a handful of mid round picks/prospects for them that would be a win, even with slight retention on Pearson and Myers.  

Moving those guys out, even just for cap space gives us the flexibility to sign Horvat, Kuzmenko, and re work our D.

That d is our biggest obstacle. Everyone wants d and no one wants to give them up if they have promise.

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

That's the problem though. We're not getting anything back from those players except equal cap unless we start attaching picks or prospects.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

That d is our biggest obstacle. Everyone wants d and no one wants to give them up if they have promise.

And a heck of a lot of injuries this year too. Getting the right RHD is going to cost us, but that is the way she goes. We need to just bend over and take it to move fwd. alternative is wading through the trash as we have been trying to find hidden gems.

It will just take effort and cannot be done being cute or trying to win the trade; we will lose the trade on paper, but win the war per say. Honestly, I’d have the 2023 1st in play for the right player.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's the problem though. We're not getting anything back from those players except equal cap unless we start attaching picks or prospects.

And why unload them unless your going to use the $$. The cap comments from PA piss me off; you don’t need cap space unless u are a buyer, which we should not be outside of a top4 RHD unicorn.

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Lol if the Canucks were offered (at least) a couple of second rounders for Myers and Garland they would already be gone. Teams don’t want to take on bigger cap hits at the moment because there are few teams who have cap space and the only way you are getting rid of Myers or Garland is if you attach an asset. As for replacing Millers production in Abby, who are you referring to?

Myers will be gone this summer after he gets his last bonus, Friedman thinks that's the major stumbling block to moving him. Garland is harder, but maybe packaged to NJ with Hughes for picks and prospects coming the other way. I think we could live without Hughes more than we can live without Bo. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Forwards were never the issue. It's d, d, d. We just don't have the assets to fix it right now. Don't you think if they could have gotten rid of Garland and Myers for second rounders it would have been done by now? We will need to offer sweeteners in a trade to get them off our books. 

I mentioned to another poster the stumbling block, according to Friedman, is his bonus this Sumner. He thinks their will interested in Myers in the summer. Garland could be packaged with Hughes to NJ for picks and prospects. We can do without Hughes more than we can do without Bo, from what I've hears, NJ has some interest in Garland.