The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser to the Islanders for…

Tanti9

38 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

high end players 

we may not get a RD but if you get a valuable asset back it still creates ways to get that RD 

We've had valuable assets for years and have never been able to acquire the young RHD we need desperately. 

Tanev, Toffy, Marky, Miller, several 1st round picks over the years....could've easily got us that piece but management and/or ownership failed to accomplish that goal.  

But hey, we're a top 10 scoring team and on the way to another solid mediocre season so ownership must be happy about that, no?

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

We've had valuable assets for years and have never been able to acquire the young RHD we need desperately. 

Tanev, Toffy, Marky, Miller, several 1st round picks over the years....could've easily got us that piece but management and/or ownership failed to accomplish that goal.  

But hey, we're a top 10 scoring team and on the way to another solid mediocre season so ownership must be happy about that, no?

Well to be fair, you can't place Benning's failures on new management. Let's see what they can do

28 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

Well to be fair, you can't place Benning's failures on new management. Let's see what they can do

Well, their short track record isn't encouraging.  So far this management group has:

-said the team needs more structure and discipline and they'd be fine  -  absolutely nothing changed.

-said this team lacks picks/prospects in the organization then traded a 2nd for a fringe NHL'er.

-said they didn't have enough high end young defenceman in the organization and then drafted another winger

-said they wanted to get cap flexibility - then they gave JTM a career-defining contract.

-said they needed to address the defence last offseason and came back with the exact same group expecting different results 

-acknowledged they needed to improve the PK yet we sit dead last in the league in this area 

-publicly went on record saying if things didn't turn around 'hard decisions' would need to be made - then they sent a couple peripheral guys to the AHL.

-backed themselves into a corner with their Captain who's having a career season and is unlikely to be re-signed leaving a potential gaping hole in the lineup 

But Ok, I'll be optimistic, let's see what they can do? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Well, their short track record isn't encouraging.  So far this management group has:

-said the team needs more structure and discipline and they'd be fine  -  absolutely nothing changed.

-said this team lacks picks/prospects in the organization then traded a 2nd for a fringe NHL'er.

-said they didn't have enough high end young defenceman in the organization and then drafted another winger

-said they wanted to get cap flexibility - then they gave JTM a career-defining contract.

-said they needed to address the defence last offseason and came back with the exact same group expecting different results 

-acknowledged they needed to improve the PK yet we sit dead last in the league in this area 

-publicly went on record saying if things didn't turn around 'hard decisions' would need to be made - then they sent a couple peripheral guys to the AHL.

-backed themselves into a corner with their Captain who's having a career season and is unlikely to be re-signed leaving a potential gaping hole in the lineup 

But Ok, I'll be optimistic, let's see what they can do? 

I can't argue any of your comments....I am not trying to defend management, I am not enamoured with them either, particularly their statement that big decisions needed to be made last offseason, and as you said, they did basically nothing, other than doubling down on the same group.

The one thing I will say in their defense, is you can't force trades. You can only make moves if there are other willing partners, and if no one is willing or can trade (most teams are capped out) then waiting is the best decision.

It really comes down to their judgment of value on the assets they need to move (and that's what they are paid for). If other GM's are trying to hose us on deals, you have to wait them out to get a better deal later. If we are over valuing our players then that's a different issue.

For example, look at the trades so far this year, all minor deals because of the cap issues from 2 (or 3?) years with a flat cap. Its been hard to move guys, this has been stated ad nauseum around the league.

For that reason, I am giving them until the deadline. If we go into the deadline without major changes (We need to move Bo for a ransom) I will be very bothered. You can't re-sign him and also improve the team....so something has to give.

If we come back with a 'tinkered' line up next year, well I will not watch these guys until we have a new management team, so I completely agree with you. Just trying to be pragmatic given the challenges this group was left with and the 'market dynamics' so to speak.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

I can't argue any of your comments....I am not trying to defend management, I am not enamoured with them either, particularly their statement that big decisions needed to be made last offseason, and as you said, they did basically nothing, other than doubling down on the same group.

The one thing I will say in their defense, is you can't force trades. You can only make moves if there are other willing partners, and if no one is willing or can trade (most teams are capped out) then waiting is the best decision.

It really comes down to their judgment of value on the assets they need to move (and that's what they are paid for). If other GM's are trying to hose us on deals, you have to wait them out to get a better deal later. If we are over valuing our players then that's a different issue.

For example, look at the trades so far this year, all minor deals because of the cap issues from 2 (or 3?) years with a flat cap. Its been hard to move guys, this has been stated ad nauseum around the league.

For that reason, I am giving them until the deadline. If we go into the deadline without major changes (We need to move Bo for a ransom) I will be very bothered. You can't re-sign him and also improve the team....so something has to give.

If we come back with a 'tinkered' line up next year, well I will not watch these guys until we have a new management team, so I completely agree with you. Just trying to be pragmatic given the challenges this group was left with and the 'market dynamics' so to speak.

I hear you. 

One of my biggest issue with JR is when he publicly stated that if things didn't turn around difficult decisions would need to be made - then he did absolutely nothing.   This totally undermines his leadership imo.

He either was just saying that to spark the team, which didn't do anything whatsoever except make him look a bit foolish  -  or he meant it, yet he completely misread his ability to make any meaningful trades within the current financial climate of the league - neither scenario has good optics for management sadly. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you. 

One of my biggest issue with JR is when he publicly stated that if things didn't turn around difficult decisions would need to be made - then he did absolutely nothing.   This totally undermines his leadership imo.

He either was just saying that to spark the team, which didn't do anything whatsoever except make him look a bit foolish  -  or he meant it, yet he completely misread his ability to make any meaningful trades within the current financial climate of the league - neither scenario has good optics for management sadly. 

Agreed and I'm worried its more the latter. I do find both he and Alvin come across as very arrogant and tbh, I'm sorry but just because you got 3 cups in Pittsburgh doesn't mean much to me. I think most people on these boards could accomplish that when you have Sidney Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury. Letang was the only one of those 4 who wasn't a top 2 pick lol.

When you have 2 first overalls who are Hall of Famers, one a generational talent

A 2nd overall consolation of Malkin

It's not that damn hard to win, particularly when all of them are so hyper focused on being the best. You basically sit back, tinker and watch.

Sadly, that seems what they are doing here. So I am worried. Their arrogance is a concern.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:00 PM, DrJockitch said:

I kind of get the feeling that Brock isn’t going anywhere. 
Who knows these days. 

Given the cap crunch, and our reluctance to retain salary (which I’m happy with), a Boeser trade is most likely in the off-season, or right at the deadline IMHO

On 12/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, Fanuck said:

I hear you. 

JR has also said that it will take a couple of years to straighten out the mess this team is in and listed what

messy bits he sees. To me, this implies that when he says things like 'making difficult decisions' he doesn't

mean right away, next week or even a couple of months from now.  Hopefully, waiting for the best time to

make a move is crucial to him. 

I'm also tired of watching this team falter year after year as well, but I will watch the TDL and how the

offseason unfolds.  Maybe even watch the new season for awhile.  If it looks like same old; same old, that will

be enough for me.  That's when I will take a long break from our team.  Enough will finally be enough for me.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

NYI are in town on Tuesday, something happen then? Imagine during the game lol. 

Garland for ?

Boeser for ? 

If we could move either one (and dumperoo all their contract) for an expiring contract, Alf would call that a win. 

6 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

NYI are in town on Tuesday, something happen then? Imagine during the game lol. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Garland for ?

Boeser for ? 

If we could move either one (and dumperoo all their contract) for an expiring contract, Alf would call that a win. 

With their loss to the Krackheads tonight NYI sit out of a playoff WC position while several teams immediately around them hold games in hand, let's hope Lou panicks after we beat them Tues and gets the ball rolling on this 're-tool'......