The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] NYR VAN

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Rageroos would insist we take that bustaroo Lafrenierre.  Just say no. 

Lafreniere is an interesting case to me.  Yes he’s struggled in NYR but I’d like to find out the reasons for this.  Does he have a bad attitude?  Bad work ethic?  (Similar to Yakupov).  Or, did AL simply lose confidence under a tough coach and tough NYR market.  Maybe he just needs a fresh start?

The way this guy dominated juniors was extremely impressive. I just have a difficult time comprehending as to how and why this guy fell off so much.  

If the Canucks are destined to sell off most of the team, then why not build around Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Lafreniere…….and Bedard if we sink far enough (doubtful but I’m just spitballing).  Could you imagine if we landed Bedard AND Lafreniere started to live up to potential?

Edited by Ruthervin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ruthervin said:

Lafreniere is an interesting case to me.  Yes he’s struggled in NYR but I’d like to find out the reasons for this.  Does he have a bad attitude?  Bad work ethic?  (Similar to Yakupov).  Or, did AL simply lose confidence under a tough coach and tough NYR market.  Maybe he just needs a fresh start?

The way this guy dominated juniors was extremely impressive. I just have a difficult time comprehending as to how and why this guy fell off so much.  

If the Canucks are destined to sell off most of the team, then why not build around Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Lafreniere…….and Bedard if we sink far enough (doubtful but I’m just spitballing).  Could you imagine if we landed Bedard AND Lafreniere started to live up to potential?

If we will actually rebuild then for sure we need to take chances on guys like Lafrenierre.  That’s how Keenan got us Bert. 

Edited by Alflives

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we will actually rebuild then for sure we need to take chances on guys like Lafrenierre.  

My take on the Canucks is that they should lean hard one way or the other. No middle ground stuff.  Either commit to a full rebuild (trade everyone but Petey and Kuz), or do a blitzkreig and commit 100% to this core (ie sign Horvat + use sweeteners to move Myers and Pearson in the off season + go hard after Dumba or Severson in UFA + move one or both of Boeser and Garland for cap space).

Edited by Ruthervin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruthervin said:

My take on the Canucks is that they should lean hard one way or the other. No middle ground stuff.  Either commit to a full rebuild (trade everyone but Petey and Kuz), or do a blitzkreig and commit 100% to this core (ie sign Horvat + use sweeteners to move Myers and Pearson in the off season + go hard after Dumba or Severson in UFA)

Well the owner insists on the latter, so it’s all in during the next two seasons. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ruthervin said:

Vancouver is currently in a position to win the lottery. So Bedard is possible. Not likely. But possible.  I could see a Lafreniere for Horvat deal.  I don’t see Kuzmenko extending in Canciuver though. Especially if they go in the rebuild direction.  He’s  going to be UFA and will have better teams bidding for his services.  Yes. He picked Vancouver for this year. But I think that was based on the relative weakness of the teams top 6. It gave him the best opportunity to get meaningful minutes in order for him to show his wares and it was only a 1 year commitment.  Now thst he’s a hot commodity he’ll look for a team he has a shot to win with 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well the owner insists on the latter, so it’s all in during the next two seasons. 

Agreed……which is why the Horvat thing is so perplexing to me.  So maddening to me that they basically chose Boeser over Horvat. I really hope we keep BoHo but it’s not looking good

39 minutes ago, Ruthervin said:

Right now, it’s unlikely that NYR would give up even one of those pieces for Miller.

0.9 points/ game is pretty good, and (given that the original premise is that they'd want Horvat) what Miller brings as versatile forward who can play any forward spot just might be what they'd look for.  Their top 2 lines' tandems are Kreider - Zibanejad and Panarin - Trocheck, while the 3rd forwards (Kakko/ Kravtsov) have underwhelmed.  If Miller plays on the 1st line he can keep up skating-wise and be either the setup man or triggerman.  With Panarin he'd have a setup man who can make passes right into his wheelhouse, while Trocheck can cover for his defensive deficiencies.  In turn, Miller could probably be the forechecker for his linemates due to his size, speed and tenacity.  If needed we could retain a million per year and move him while adding needed pieces in the lineup.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

0.9 points/ game is pretty good, and (given that the original premise is that they'd want Horvat) what Miller brings as versatile forward who can play any forward spot just might be what they'd look for.  Their top 2 lines' tandems are Kreider - Zibanejad and Panarin - Trocheck, while the 3rd forwards (Kakko/ Kravtsov) have underwhelmed.  If Miller plays on the 1st line he can keep up skating-wise and be either the setup man or triggerman.  With Panarin he'd have a setup man who can make passes right into his wheelhouse, while Trocheck can cover for his defensive deficiencies.  In turn, Miller could probably be the forechecker for his linemates due to his size, speed and tenacity.  If needed we could retain a million per year and move him while adding needed pieces in the lineup.

Tue about 0.9 points but his even strength production has been a cause for concern this season.  Ditto for his defensive gaffes.

13 minutes ago, Ruthervin said:

Tue about 0.9 points but his even strength production has been a cause for concern this season.  Ditto for his defensive gaffes.

Hence why I think we should try to sell him to a possible contender like the Rangers as a solution for positional need (top-6 RW roles) and put him in positions to succeed (e.g. having a playmaker like Zibanejad make good passes to him, or Trocheck who had received Selke votes in his time with Carolina help him defensively while JT is on his wing).  What better place for a player to score than with elite linemates, or improve defensively with a two-way player?

• Cheers 1

I think the reason this trade didn't go through last year is because NYR value Schneider too much, even though they're only playing him on the bottom pairing and he's going to be hard pressed to steal minutes off Fox and co. ahead of him. Doesn't make sense to me. Another reason might be that the Canucks wouldn't let other teams negotiate contract extensions with Miller last year.

Miller's value last year when he was scoring 2 PPG was extremely high but his age still factors into things. Bo is much younger, producing less offence but bagging a lot of goals. He'd fit in great there, or anywhere really, but NYR don't necessarily need him. We desperately need someone like Schneider though obviously.

I think they won't want to give up on Laf or Kappo yet, but Barclaw Goodrow + Schneider could work. Evens out cap-wise (they have 1M in space too) and we get a sort of 3C coming back.

Of course Miller would be ideal, heck I'd even throw Rathbone to get it done:

1) Miller + Rathbone for Schneider + Goodrow

or (more likely)

2) Horvat + 2nd for Schneider + Goodrow + 1st (or take away the picks and NYR just give us a3-4th)

I think there are better deals out there for Horvat (Carlo + Zacha, Peeke + Roslovic/Kuraly, Girard + Newhook) but Schneider would be the absolute best fit for Hughes across the league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think the reason this trade didn't go through last year is because NYR value Schneider too much, even though they're only playing him on the bottom pairing and he's going to be hard pressed to steal minutes off Fox and co. ahead of him. Doesn't make sense to me. Another reason might be that the Canucks wouldn't let other teams negotiate contract extensions with Miller last year.

Miller's value last year when he was scoring 2 PPG was extremely high but his age still factors into things. Bo is much younger, producing less offence but bagging a lot of goals. He'd fit in great there, or anywhere really, but NYR don't necessarily need him. We desperately need someone like Schneider though obviously.

I think they won't want to give up on Laf or Kappo yet, but Barclaw Goodrow + Schneider could work. Evens out cap-wise (they have 1M in space too) and we get a sort of 3C coming back.

Of course Miller would be ideal, heck I'd even throw Rathbone to get it done:

1) Miller + Rathbone for Schneider + Goodrow

or (more likely)

2) Horvat + 2nd for Schneider + Goodrow + 1st (or take away the picks and NYR just give us a3-4th)

I think there are better deals out there for Horvat (Carlo + Zacha, Peeke + Roslovic/Kuraly, Girard + Newhook) but Schneider would be the absolute best fit for Hughes across the league.

Goodrow is coming 30 and has a long term at nearly 4 mil per.  That’s a huge cap dumperoo.  Rags need to definitely include Schneider if we are sending Bo (which IMHAO our owner won’t allow) their way.  

Bo for Schneider + Lafrenierre + Goodrow.  Then maybe flip Lafrenierre to the Habs for a soon to be superstar young Russian D?  :lol:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bo for Schneider + Lafrenierre + Goodrow. 

I'm a big BoHo fan, but even I'll admit that's an overpayment for NYR.  The unknown is Laffer and whether he'll be a career 3rd liner or eventually fulfill his potential?  That trade has the potential to be a career defining transaction for the wrong reasons(for NYR)  if Laffer is indeed a late bloomer.

At this point I would honestly do BoHo for Schneider one-for-one and call that a win, assuming management fully accepts they did their best to sign him and he didn't want to be here. 

Just now, Fanuck said:

I'm a big BoHo fan, but even I'll admit that's an overpayment for NYR.  The unknown is Laffer and whether he'll be a career 3rd liner or eventually fulfill his potential?  That trade has the potential to be a career defining transaction for the wrong reasons(for NYR)  if Laffer is indeed a late bloomer.

At this point I would honestly do BoHo for Schneider one-for-one and call that a win, assuming management fully accepts they did their best to sign him and he didn't want to be here. 

Zero chance our owner would sign off on a Bo trade if Schneider was the key part to the return.  He wants to sell tickets, and will insist on a flashy piece as part of the package.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zero chance our owner would sign off on a Bo trade if Schneider was the key part to the return.  He wants to sell tickets, and will insist on a flashy piece as part of the package.  

Well then Aquaman better insist on a case-load of Bauer AG5NT sticks with Schneider then, those are flashy as heck and almost $400.00 per retail after tax lol....

• Haha 1