The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals) Horvat and Boeser trades

I love Brock and Bo. But we have a weeee bit of a cap problem and seemingly can’t afford to keep Bo. Brock really just doesn’t look all that great anymore compared to where he was at. I think he needs a scenery change. If we move Brock, we can afford to keep Bo. However, we still need to find money for potentially Kuzmenko, Bear, Dermott, Schenn, and the seemingly emerging Lane Pederson even? Then we move to the following year for the raise for Petey and who knows what else. The other school of thought is, since we committed 8 years to Miller already, can we really afford 8 with Bo as well, followed likely by 8 years to Petey the next year. We all know how long term deals come back at you. Look no further than Minnesota’s current buyout history. So unless management has a change of heart and moves Miller, sadly I just don’t know if there is a logical way to keep Bo. 

Anyway, here’s my trade proposals: 

To Dallas: 

Bo (50% retention) 

To Van: 

Wyatt Johnston

Thomas Harley 

Why it works: 

For Dallas - They have a bunch of centers, who are all playing center and wing. Their centers do pretty well in the dot but Horvat has 200 more faceoffs taken over their top face off guy. Dallas needs a bonafide established center who can really take over the position while winning big draws rather than constant rotation of Seguin, Pavelski, Hintz, Benn, Dellandrea, etc. Let’s face it, most of those guys seemingly are better suited for the wing. On top of that, Dallas is the cream of the west and a guy like Horvat ensures a legit shot for the cup this year. They don’t have a ton of cap opening in the offseason to keep him, but there’s always options to try. At worst he’s a rental with a shot at a cup and at best he’s a long term player for a team with a nice core. This is a hefty price if Bo is just a rental, but the cost of a top rental is high. 

For Van - As mentioned, it will clear out some money for the near future although it would be a painful loss. But it gives us breathing room to keep Kuzmenko who is arguably our 2nd best forward after Petey and some other important depth players. May even give us some space to add a decent UFA. As for the players, Johnston is a 19 year old already playing very well in the NHL (11 goals so far in 38 games). He’s only going to improve and would be a huge asset. His primary position is center and he could eventually possibly replace the value Horvat provides. He’s on an ELC for two more years after this and that gives us a lot of breathing room while having a player who is already able to contribute. Harley is kind of blocked by a good core of dmen in Dallas. Harley has had some NHL games but hasn’t really done much so far but he’s been productive in the AHL. Perhaps a change of scenery gives him a better shot to seize his opportunity. With multi years left for Heiskanen, Lindell, and Suter, Harley may be blocked for a while. I believe he still has a lot of potential to be a top 4 dman. 

Trade 2:

To Minnesota:

Boeser

A draft pick if needed

To Vancouver: 

Matt Dumba (potentially with an extension in place)

A draft pick if needed

Why it works: 

For Minnesota - They have some quality dmen signed with some really good prospects coming in the next year or 2. They probably can keep Dumba but losing him for nothing in the offseason if he hits UFA would suck. Meanwhile they can improve on the side of the forwards and Brock obviously would kill to play in Minnesota. For Brock, I just feel like a change of scenery would do him justice. Minnesota is plagued by the Parise and Suter buyouts and knowing Brocks deal is still in place beyond this year might make their offseason easier rather than having to figure out a Dumba extension before others. 

For Van - Look, I know Dumba is inconsistent and a lot of people don’t love the guy, but he’s a quality right side dman. If we can give him an extension, we suddenly have a pretty good right side with him and Bear, especially if Schenn stays another couple years too, considering we have no good right side prospects. At some point we know we’re going to trade Myers or let his contract run out and at that point we really need a righty in place. If Dumba does not re-sign, we at least have a good chunk of money to hit UFA after this. 

Anyway, this is my “I have nothing going on for New Year’s Eve and decided to try some proposals” so have fun and let me know what you think. 

For Russo to be that categorical - that probably comes directly from Guerin.  The 1-trick pony label he used on his podcast is likely from Guerin too.  Russo thinks the world of Boeser - has been covering him well before he was drafted and is close with his family.  Boeser doesn't even fit their lineup.  

Luckily for Boeser too.  He would likely be endlessly compared to Fiala who Guerin said had to be traded for cap reasons.  Boeser is not really close to being able to do what Fiala does and would likely suffer from the comparison especially when the salary difference is only 1M. 

Brock Boeser for Michael Rasmussen...

Bo Horvat and Luke Schenn for Alexis Lafreniere, Braden Schneider and a 2023 1st round pick...

If JR can make these moves he would get back all his street cred from Canucks fans and this team would be able to take the next step forward in their rebuild/retool...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Both Dumba and Harley are absolute trash in their own zone.  We need defenceman who can play defence, not more pylons.

Harley is still at times a liability but has made huge strides since his draft year. I think he’s going to be good in a couple years.

That’s why I mentioned that I like Dumba as an option. If he looks good from the deadline to end of season and a is a fit, we can sign him. If not, we shed Brocks money and have some spendings for UFA and don’t commit to him. Kind of a potential win win scenario. 

Minny doesn’t want Boeser as mentioned already. 3 way, 

van- glass

preds- boeser

sens- fabbro 

Sens sends assets to even out. 

I like the Bo trade but don’t think the stars would do that for a ufa with how Wyatt is trending. 3 way, 

van- peeke, marchenko 

canes- bo 

cbj- futures from canes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bo Horvat and Luke Schenn for Alexis Lafreniere, Braden Schneider and a 2023 1st round pick...

If JR can make these moves he would get back all his street cred from Canucks fans and this team would be able to take the next step forward in their rebuild/retool...

Don’t think our owner will allow a Bo trade, but this is one I’d be happy with as a fan.  I think our owner might allow a Bo trade if a local boy was part of the return.  So Byram would be more like what he will allow.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dumba is on an expiring contract, so that is a way to shed Brock’s cap. 

Bo, like our other core guys (Miller, Demko, Petey, Hughes) will not be traded.  Our owner won’t all it. 

Flip Dumba at UFA

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like it. Rasmussen is the big center from BC, right?

• Upvote 1

Don’t want Dumba with an extension in place, but Dumba on an expiring contract looks good to me.  Trade for him and flip him at the deadline.  Another trade I would like to see is Boeser for Lucic and a second.  Again, Lucic is on an expiring contract and somebody might be crazy enough to give us something for him at the trade  deadline.   I think the money saved would help us resign Kuzmenko.  I hope Bo goes, not because of his play, but to get new blood in our farm system, fill some holes in our roster and to shed even more salary.  If we resign Bo for the salary and length of contract that he is looking for that will end up being just another bloated, long term contract that will keep us in cap hell for the foreseeable future and may cause us to struggle to sign EP when his current contract expires.                   
Happy New Year everyone!

7 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

Minny doesn’t want Boeser as mentioned already. 3 way, 

van- glass

preds- boeser

sens- fabbro 

Sens sends assets to even out. 

I like the Bo trade but don’t think the stars would do that for a ufa with how Wyatt is trending. 3 way, 

van- peeke, marchenko 

canes- bo 

cbj- futures from canes

Wouldn't expect Nashville to have interest in Boeser - grit and two-way play aren't really his attributes.  Can't see Nashville moving Cody Glass either.  Nashville is trying to re-tool to get younger.  Glass has been receiving quite a bit of praise from Hynes lately.  Notably credited him for their win over Edmonton where he was instrumental in shutting down McDavid/Draisaitl and again touched on his importance.

It seems popular to send Horvat to Carolina but Canucks looking for a home run return and not sure Carolina will be the team willing to pay for it.   They are already dominating right now and it looks like they will be getting Pacioretty back as their own rental.   Their owner was very involved early on because he wanted to make sure they had the right process in place.  He says paraphrased: 'you want to play hockey today but you also want to play tomorrow and the day after'.  He doesn't want them to sacrifice their future for the now.  Waddell also says that it's not worth spending too much at the TDL because ultimately only 1 team wins. Waddell also says he doesn't like handing out long term deals to players in their late 20s because you often end up paying for something you won't be getting. 

Peeke was signed to an extension that hasn't even kicked in.  Last season no player had a larger negative scoring chance differential when on the ice than him in the entire NHL per the tracking company CSA.  He's now been a healthy scratch.  Maybe they are indeed looking to get out of that contract before it even starts but Vancouver probably shouldn't be the ones going after him.  I am not sure CBJ would be looking for futures either.  They have prospects and seem to be more looking for stop gaps till their prospects are ready to take on those roles.

Edited by mll

I like the idea, surely there's trades around the league to make it happen:

1) Boeser for Severson or Dumba

As you said, swap cap up front for cap on defence, expiring contracts, can let them walk for some cap freedom or hopefully re-sign them a bit cheaper.

2) Bo for a young C + young defenceman (eg. Carlo + Zacha, Peeke + Kuraly/Roslovic, Girard + Newhook). I'd prefer the Boston deal.

It'd be too hard moving Miller, Myers, OEL or Pearson so sadly we'll just have to stick with them, but at least we trade two solid players up front for some great players across the lineup elsewhere.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Miller - Hoglander

Pearson - Zacha - Studnicka

Joshua - Lazar - Lockwood

Aman

Dries

Hughes - Carlo

OEL - Severson

Schenn - Myers

Dermott

Rathbone

Dare I say it, that team is better than with Bo. 

On 1/1/2023 at 8:22 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

That would be a great deal for the Canucks.  I can’t see the Rangers agreeing to that but if they did, I’d take that deal and run.

• There it is 1

16 minutes ago, Ruthervin said:

That would be a great deal for the Canucks.  I can’t see the Rangers agreeing to that but if they did, I’d take that deal and run.

Yup.  Would need to change that first into a ca dumperoo.  So Goodrow?

Bo + Schenn for Schneider + Lafrenierre + Goudreau?  

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Would need to change that first into a ca dumperoo.  So Goodrow?

Bo + Schenn for Schneider + Lafrenierre + Goudreau?  

I’m wondering if Horvat, Kuzmenko, and Schenn gets you all of Lafrennierre, Kakko, and Schneider.  It probably wouldn’t but I think the Rags would strongly consider it since Kuz is on a cheap deal for this year.  

Ideally though, I’d love for the Canucks to build around Pettersson and Kuzmenko.

Alternatively, I’d do something around Miller for Lafrenniere straight up one for one (we’d probably have to take a bit of salary back) and then re-sign Horvat.