The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 5 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Colorado Avalanche - 7pm PT/9pm CT/10pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

I just hope Rutherford’s pride isn’t above him admitting what could possibly be quite the mistake. But in all likelihood its too late anyway. At this point the best we can probably hope for is that JT gets his crap together. The guy is talented as hell….when he decides to apply it. But if he’s indeed a toxic ingredient in the locker room, what the heck do you do about that though?

I could see a GM with a veteran team wanting to bring him in still.

The problem is we don’t have any vocal leaders on this team so Millers voice is the loudest. Only one who can put him in his place is probably Schenn.

On this team he’s the “alpha dog” but on a team like Carolina, Washington, or New York he’s just a puppy.

10 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Give yours.

A. None

B. Some, mainly around roster/lineup moves

C. Significant, questionable decisions regarding lineups as well as systems (or lack thereof).

D.  All

C would be my answer.  It does t absolve players, as it's a combination of coach and players 

I think it’s kind of a mistake to take out Pederson. I know he hasn’t gotten a ton of points, but he’s been good with Petey and Kuz. Their zone possession times have been really strong most of the time they have been together. Plus it allows us to create stronger line depth. I think a lot of the struggles have to do with constant line juggling and lack of consistency to create chemistry. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s no way anyone on the team is happy with the way Miller is playing right now. And the worst part is he doesn’t seem to think he’s playing poorly.

If the fans are pissed with his effort imagine how guys who are battling their butts off feel seeing him continually f up and still get 1st unit special teams minutes.

I've played with lots of guys like this. So frustrating because they have all the talent in the world but they are just dense when it comes to things like defending and will never see the light no matter how many times it's explained to them. 

Hockey and sports egos are fragile though. It's not like you can just come out and show JT how fricking terrible he is you got it approach it around the fringes or they'll throw a temper tantrum, shut down and play even worse. You have to little by little convince them it's their idea and show them benefits inch by inch. Miller's too old to change his stripes. He's basically our own Phil Kessel for 7.5 more years.

Yah! :towel:

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I could see a GM with a veteran team wanting to bring him in still.

The problem is we don’t have any vocal leaders on this team so Millers voice is the loudest. Only one who can put him in his place is probably Schenn.

On this team he’s the “alpha dog” but on a team like Carolina, Washington, or New York he’s just a puppy.

That's a coach problem, imo.  It's up to him to manage personalities 

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It gets tiring putting the gear on and off?

I've never heard that from an NHL coach before.

He can probably read the room quite well... sensing the displeasure from the players in practicing... wow. Get everyone outta here. Let's get a new team.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've played with lots of guys like this. So frustrating because they have all the talent in the world but they are just dense when it comes to things like defending and will never see the light no matter how many times it's explained to them. 

Hockey and sports egos are fragile though. It's not like you can just come out and show JT how fricking terrible he is you got it approach it around the fringes or they'll throw a temper tantrum, shut down and play even worse. You have to little by little convince them it's their idea and show them benefits inch by inch. Miller's too old to change his stripes. He's basically our own Phil Kessel for 7.5 more years.

I want to cry.

• Huggy Bear 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They hate the skate because it represents past owners who actually put their heart into the product on the ice and didn’t just sit around counting their piggy bank…

No.

I hate the Skate because despite Linden, Bure, and McLean. I have PTSD from the 80's with it. 

Effort doesn't mask what a gong show this team was prior to the arrival of Pat Quinn. 

I've said it time and again. I don't mind Black, I just can't stand the Hallowe'en Colours and the logo. 

I can separate good players from the jersey. I have ZERO attachment to the skate. Because outside of Tanti, this organization was as bad as it is now back then. 

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Except Kessel won cups 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a coach problem, imo.  It's up to him to manage personalities 

Boudreau knows how to manage Millers personality though, it’s babying him or else he just pouts.

No one can manage Miller but himself. He needs to get back to being the player he was last season and the season before.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Boudreau knows how to manage Millers personality though, it’s babying him or else he just pouts.

No one can manage Miller but himself. He needs to get back to being the player he was last season and the season before.

Those same issues were there, people were just willing to overlook them because he was playing well.  

54 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No.

I hate the Skate because despite Linden, Bure, and McLean. I have PTSD from the 80's with it. 

Effort doesn't mask what a gong show this team was prior to the arrival of Pat Quinn. 

I've said it time and again. I don't mind Black, I just can't stand the Hallowe'en Colours and the logo. 

I can separate good players from the jersey. I have ZERO attachment to the skate. Because outside of Tanti, this organization was as bad as it is now back then. 

How they play has nothing to do with the jersey. I don’t attach any jersey to past performances.

I just want a jersey that looks cool. The orca is not that. Just listen to how much praise around the league this team gets when they wear the skate. Most people recognize they’re some of the nicest jerseys in the league.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If I hire a supervisor for my work site, that's supposed to cut logs. And all I give the supervisor is workers with drills, wrenches, and hammers. Do you blame the supervisor? 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Those same issues were there, people were just willing to overlook them because he was playing well.  

Some of them were yes.

Difference is he used that “fire” to make him better. Like he would turnover the puck yes, but then make up for it by scoring a big goal.

This season is a whole other level. He’s not skating hard at all, he’s taking bad penalties, and he’s playing with zero heart.

I see a player that has cashed in and knows he doesn’t need to play hard anymore. That or he’s hoping he gets moved. 

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

If I hire a supervisor for my work site, that's supposed to cut logs. And all I give the supervisor is workers with drills, wrenches, and hammers. Do you blame the supervisor? 

The players on the team have plenty of tools and the skills to use them.  I see very little evidence of a coordinated system in their own end or the nzone.  That's BB's job