The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford Interview with Pittsburgh beat writer

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

That part where JR states "I don’t do the phone calls to other (general managers) and things like that. He (PA) does the day-to-day stuff" sounds a little scary, especially after that aweful Still-Man trade where PA threw away an immensely valuable 2nd round pick with poor results so far - and also troubling after JR said point blank when he arrived here that he would not trade away draft picks.  So much for those words of wisdom.....   

God help us and PA - and fingers crossed - that he doesn't pull another Still-Man type trade again or we're all in trouble!

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That part where JR states "I don’t do the phone calls to other (general managers) and things like that. He (PA) does the day-to-day stuff" sounds a little scary, especially after that aweful Still-Man trade where PA threw away an immensely valuable 2nd round pick with poor results so far - and also troubling after JR said point blank when he arrived here that he would not trade away draft picks.  So much for those words of wisdom.....   

God help us and PA - and fingers crossed - that he doesn't pull another Still-Man type trade again or we're all in trouble!

Yeah but isn't this what is expected Allvin is the GM after all. My impression is that the President is more in charge of steering the direction of the team while the GM is the one in charge of executing it. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah but isn't this what is expected Allvin is the GM after all. My impression is that the President is more in charge of steering the direction of the team while the GM is the one in charge of executing it. 

yes, of course.  ....and don't get me wrong, I think the separation of duties is important - although I wonder if JR is really letting PA "call the GM shots".   The concern I was try to point out, is more of a concern with an inexperienced rookie GM Alvin.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

8 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Donnie is old enough and wise enough to call a spade a spade and is pinpoint accurate in his calling for this team to be Torn-Down.  There is no way to twist or  turn the Canucks narrative in any way that would support this current roster staying together.    It is a team of incompatible players that have failed for years that are wasting their time and ours!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Donnie is old enough and wise enough to call a spade a spade and is pinpoint accurate in his calling for this team to be Torn-Down.  There is no way to twist or  turn the Canucks narrative in any way that would support this current roster stayingg together.    It is a team of incompatible players that have failed for years that are wasting their time and ours!

Thank you as yes, this team does not deserve to stay together.

Staying together is a reward for a group of players that are gelling and showing continual progression as a team. This is not occurring with the Canucks and enough years have passed that the team needs to be torn down.

• Cheers 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, Jaimito said:

I'm actually ok with JR and PA at this point. 

They haven't done nearly all the things they said they will last preseason.  It's a tough situation and it will take time to fix.  This team is playing worse than I expected, but at least they know what they have now, including coaching staff.  The next off season should be more interesting.  

Say they don't make the playoffs (most likely they won't), they will get anther crack at a top 10 pick most likely.

Player development got revamped, and that takes yrs to see results too.

I'm pretty hard but try to be fair on them.

Biggest reason is probably because Rutherford has talked the talk but the management team has not made any efforts to make their mark on this group of players other than signing a few supporting players. Other than that they have retained the services of Benning's former team and continued along the same path that the previous regime was on.