The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford Interview with Pittsburgh beat writer

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

8 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

If the rumors are true and Garland is on the buyout list for this summer, it means management has seen that Mikheyev is a perfect fit on this top 6, which would mean to me that they most likely think that Boeser is also expendable.

I see posts about Mikheyev all over this board and I really believe that people are seriously not valuing what he brings to the team, and all that because other people on the team make more money and do less. 

Mikheyev is a 1st line player on this team. Think about that CDC. He doesn't just play there because of opportunity and lack of talent on the roster, he FITS on our 1st line. For 4.75 for 4 years. I do that deal 10/10 times again. 

Mikheyev in Garland out

Kuzmenko in Boeser out

they're even marginally better under the cap

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure Aquilini is really thrilled hearing that his new high paid president wishes he retired…

Was smart of JR to NOT turn down a nice fat contract offered too him. Was a mistake by the team to bring in who they did imo, but maybe Alvin can figure things out and get a solid return at the TDL for Horvat, Kuzmenko and Schenn?

21 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Was smart of JR to NOT turn down a nice fat contract offered too him. Was a mistake by the team to bring in who they did imo, but maybe Alvin can figure things out and get a solid return at the TDL for Horvat, Kuzmenko and Schenn?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

On 1/9/2023 at 6:49 PM, ilduce39 said:

I meant more my opinion of his job - getting a good return for Horvat or (a) return for Miller.. particularly adding an extra first this draft and I’d likely be mollified.  

Bonus points if he can move on from Myers and start reshaping the D.

Well hopefully, the development of our prospects will shape our blueline and we wont have to go shopping. I’d rather see us do it in house, than outsource the issue.

• Cheers 1

I'm actually ok with JR and PA at this point. 

They haven't done nearly all the things they said they will last preseason.  It's a tough situation and it will take time to fix.  This team is playing worse than I expected, but at least they know what they have now, including coaching staff.  The next off season should be more interesting.  

Say they don't make the playoffs (most likely they won't), they will get anther crack at a top 10 pick most likely.

Player development got revamped, and that takes yrs to see results too.

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They haven't done nearly all the things they said they will last preseason.  It's a tough situation and it will take time to fix.  This team is playing worse than I expected, but at least they know what they have now, including coaching staff.  The next off season should be more interesting.  

Say they don't make the playoffs (most likely they won't), they will get anther crack at a top 10 pick most likely.

I'm hard on them, but I've also been honest about the fact I think they've done good things at well.  However, all the good things they've done will be meaningless if they don't fix the big issues and fix their own mistakes.  There also seems to be a real lack of accountability from this group, which I find disturbing, disheartening and disappointing 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

I'm on the fence about JR & PA myself.

There have been numerous concrete examples in their short tenure where their statements completely contradict their actions - this doesn't build trust with the fan-base, and in my view it undermines their leadership when they publicly say one thing and then do the total opposite. 

That said, there's no denying that JR built major parts of that cup-winning team in Pittsburgh and got them to the point where they would win - Crosby himself says that JR was integral in the building of that championship team (yes, we all know he didn't draft Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury).  Furthermore, PA does have his fingerprints on the current Pittsburgh roster which is looking pretty good right now. 

So while JR and Allvin have the pedigree so to speak - what I believe they're both guilty of is a poor evaluation of this roster (and the prospects) when they first arrived, as well as grossly misjudging their ability to make meaningful changes within the current financial state of the league - the bottom line is that the trades they believed they could probably make were not financially viable and never happened - therefore we're the same mediocre club as we were before they got here.  . 

As many have said, time will tell if they'll be able to make any meaningful changes whatsoever within a cap-strapped league? 

• Cheers 1