The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You must balance it better than I did

Once upon I was so invested that a loss would ruin my mood, and sometimes my day or night, a bad loss would really make me sour

I don't like sports having that kind of impact on me as it's not fair to anyone around me and it's a silly thing to let sour my time

I'm not as emotionally attached to the players, the roster, or wins or losses anymore 

So basically what you’re saying is you’ve become apathetic after so many years of being blatantly disappointed. 

this is the just the natural course of being a fan of this team over a couple of decades. 

you are not alone my friend 

Hug It Out Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Huggy Bear 1

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mind you I was spoiled as to when my fandom began, my first introduction to the Canucks was during the WCE era and I got to track the team having success through my teens and my early twenties

I was spoiled in that I got to spend a long stretch of time being able to expect that we'd probably win most games, this probably contributed to my approach 

It also made this past ten years more frustrating as I hadn't had to ride out a long stretch of tough years, at this point it's old hat

But I miss having teams I actually expected to win most nights, it's been a long time now, I don't expect much in terms of positive results anymore and I'm not alone in that

Management has a lot of work to do to win this market over, apathy has set in for some and from what I've picked up a lot of folks just don't care as much anymore 

Nice to hear it wasn't just me. I was too invested in sports generally. Staying up later in the central US timezone also didn't help and the scf was so emotionally draining that I just got so annoyed and hated how bad they were in the later games. Overall the biggest thing was deciding to take a break until my kids became old enough to have their own interests so now 11ish years later i can revisit things i enjoyed with hopefully a little less intensity. Its hard as i really am passionate but i'm better able to see flaws and harder decisions. I was hoping for an upswing and i did get bummed out when they became a non-playoff team but i am better to accept the losses as being in the long term interests. Overall i still enjoy chatting with the people here and finding out things i don't know.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Just attach the game from YouTube. I know the minutes you’re taking about from your PM. 

I see there’s no YouTube link yet. Is there a full video from the Canucks site that you can link? 

not that I can see, the problem is that I watch the games on old school cable tv and converse on a desktop

I took a video on my phone, but cannot log in from there

its funny too, they go from having a tired team out there, with hurry up faceoff, to an add break

it goes from an icing face off

puck drop

looks like Petterssson wins (not clean)

Tampa player steps in front of the canucks

pass to his D-man

pass to goalie

cover

it takes about 4 seconds off the clock

Shortie says, "Pettersson to take the face off, and the Lightning get it to their goaltender and will get the change, we'll take a break with 5 minutes remaining"

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Through all the pain of these lost seasons. You are the one of a handful of few that know how to crack a smile on a defeated fanbase. Thank you @eeeeergh and never change. 

We simply carry on worshipping Loui Eriksson 

Whenever I'm sad, this is the clip that makes me smile 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You must balance it better than I did

Once upon I was so invested that a loss would ruin my mood, and sometimes my day or night, a bad loss would really make me sour

I don't like sports having that kind of impact on me as it's not fair to anyone around me and it's a silly thing to let sour my time

I'm not as emotionally attached to the players, the roster, or wins or losses anymore 

I hear you and it’s a fine line you have to balance. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

I hear you and it’s a fine line you have to balance. 

Oh most def

46 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Nice to hear it wasn't just me. I was too invested in sports generally. Staying up later in the central US timezone also didn't help and the scf was so emotionally draining that I just got so annoyed and hated how bad they were in the later games. Overall the biggest thing was deciding to take a break until my kids became old enough to have their own interests so now 11ish years later i can revisit things i enjoyed with hopefully a little less intensity. Its hard as i really am passionate but i'm better able to see flaws and harder decisions. I was hoping for an upswing and i did get bummed out when they became a non-playoff team but i am better to accept the losses as being in the long term interests. Overall i still enjoy chatting with the people here and finding out things i don't know.

Sometimes it's better to take a step back, sometimes you actually enjoy things more

What kinda cued me in was when one of my really good friends who was even more into hockey than I was started taking steps back from it, sometimes you don't see it from the outside looking in but you can recognize yourself in someone else 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Saw on BC1 News how defenceman Christian Wolanin is rocking it for the baby Canucks. Leading the AHL in assists (he is a +12). He should come up and replace Burroughs next game. 

I really liked him in the preseason. Surprised he didn't get a look up here yet this year.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Oh most def

Sometimes it's better to take a step back, sometimes you actually enjoy things more

What kinda cued me in was when one of my really good friends who was even more into hockey than I was started taking steps back from it, sometimes you don't see it from the outside looking in but you can recognize yourself in someone else 

Up until the late 90’s that was me, thankfully Keenan came along and screwed up the team and I was able to step back and watch more of other teams. I watched the game last night with not particular interest, spent more time anylizing Stamkos and rewinding parts to see what he does without the puck as well ( what a player!) then back to the game i fast forward through icings  and meaningless crap that would piss me off… stuff like losing battles consistently in the neutral zone… spend a lot of time looking at OEL and trying to understand why some people believe he is a good addition to our team… lol. I have kinda come ful circle and enjoy the best of hockey without letting my emotions overwhelm me. And it’s not easy to do.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Ive said it before, but theres at least a 40% chance that after we draft bedard, JR holds a press conference and says:

"Listen you dummies, how was it not crystal clear that i knew exactly what i was doing? Im 172 years old, and I TOLD you that the most important thing was to improve our defence.. and i brought in RILEY STILLMAN. How much clearer can I be that we were bloody tanking. You're welcome for Bedard, morons"

#FreeStillman

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Up until the late 90’s that was me, thankfully Keenan came along and screwed up the team and I was able to step back and watch more of other teams. I watched the game last night with not particular interest, spent more time anylizing Stamkos and rewinding parts to see what he does without the puck as well ( what a player!) then back to the game i fast forward through icings  and meaningless crap that would piss me off… stuff like losing battles consistently in the neutral zone… spend a lot of time looking at OEL and trying to understand why some people believe he is a good addition to our team… lol. I have kinda come ful circle and enjoy the best of hockey without letting my emotions overwhelm me. And it’s not easy to do.

You sound similar in that it sounds like you enjoy hockey more when you're focusing more on the game than the teams 

• There it is 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

You sound similar in that it sounds like you enjoy hockey more when you're focusing more on the game than the teams 

Yep exactly! One example… I love Quinn Hughes, how he skates, gets away from others, his passing, vision wow!! But I don’t like to watch his mistakes in the defensive end when they are glaring and I don’t want too see the camera on him when he is on the bench and pissed at a mistake or goal etc… that’s where it hurts me to… I avoid all that part because if I watch it all I may end up on here starting a Hughes thread “ do we really need him” lmao

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Taking your sweet time with the GDT eh .. common man get to it :ph34r:

jk thanks for picking up the slack for us slackers 

Excited Stop Motion GIF by Slanted Studios