The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I really hope they’re looking at upgrading their scouting department though. A decade of poor scouting is a huge contributor to why we’re so bad now.

Ding ding DeNiro! This is exactly what I’m curious about with regards to our scouting. Why oh why are we so terrified of acquiring draft picks and instead more interested in going for other teams rejects. Is it the fact our scouting staff is razor thin since Judd Bracket left? Is it that ownership believes that draft picks don’t sell butts in seats or that they take too long to develop? Why does it feel like we are allergic to drafting our own cost controlled prospects? It’s something I’ve been wondering about for quite sometime and you are asking the right questions with your post.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Unfortunately I don't think this is a year for a D with our pick unless we get a whole lot better down the stretch. Hopefully we can pick up another first or 2nd and get a D with that pick. 

Yeah the game here is load up on 2nds, choose all the defensman with those, and 1 will turn into a bonafide top 4 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Unfortunately I don't think this is a year for a D with our pick unless we get a whole lot better down the stretch. Hopefully we can pick up another first or 2nd and get a D with that pick. 

Agree 100%...

I expect us to get at least 1 extra 1st round pick (or 2nd round pick), once wheeler JR wakes up at the TDL, and for the love of god lets use that together with our own on dmen... we can't find them anywhere, so let s draft them...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hard to tell sometimes when our GMs are the ones travelling around watching players it seems.

They say the Lekkeramaki pick was a collaborative effort but I have a hard time believing that Allvin wasn’t pushing extra hard for him. Maybe they wanted to make the new boss happy and just went along?

I really hope they’re looking at upgrading their scouting department though. A decade of poor scouting is a huge contributor to why we’re so bad now.

When is Teflon Delorme retiring ?  Cause his retirement alone, will make the department a lot better.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Martin is part of the problem. Rebound control is a major issue. Kicking rebounds out into the slot usually ends up as an easy goal.

He is a good backup given a small workload. Once his workload increased, opponents scouts pick up on all the deficiencies. Much easier to be the guy that no one has a book on.

I understand that his rebounds haven't been great, but I also think when a goalie is sure that his Dmen and forwards are covering their guys that it makes it a lot less stressful. How many goals has he been trying to stop one guy while worrying about another 1 or 2 guys that are left unchecked in front of him. Hard to play relaxed and confident hockey when your team isn't playing well in front of you.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hated it.

I want our barn to feared and I want our team to be hated.

We're in the middle of crappy times and parts of our home crowd is cheering on a milstone for the other team.

It's just a number. We're known for every second star getting big goals in our building. I dont care.

Dont get me wrong. SS is an awesome dude and a great player.

In our building, get out of here with that kind of crap. 

BTW, I am this way because hockey is the only place in my life where I allow myself to be very tribalistic. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I hated it.

We're in the middle of crappy times and parts of our home crowd is cheering on a milstone for the other team.

It's just a number. We're known for every second star getting big goals in our building. I dont care.

BTW, I am this way because hockey is the only place in my life where I allow myself to be very tribalistic. 

You can be a diehard and support your team but moments like that deserve to be recognized and respected. It’s not every day a player scores 500 goals.

Doesn’t mean fans accept losing it means they’re smart enough to recognize a moment like that is much bigger than a mean nothing game in January. I’d rather be a classy fan base.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

44 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

.........and there lies the problems of today. The legacy of those teams back then were not carried on to the teams of today.

and there lies the problem of repeatedly firing your president

there really should not be any reason to fire your president

however the Canucks often have a pres/GM so if the GM needs to go, so goes the president

then the new guy comes in and changes all the directions

I think the Bruins have ad about 4-5 presidents in my lifetime

The Aquas have had 5

there is no succession with this club, starting with the president>gm> coaching style> all the way down to the ice

its always all new every 5-8 years

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

You can be a diehard and support your team but moments like that deserve to be recognized and respected. It’s not every day a player scores 500 goals.

Doesn’t mean fans accept losing it means they’re smart enough to recognize a moment like that is much bigger than a mean nothing game in January. I’d rather be a classy fan base.

Just saying that 'I' hated it. Dont care about other teams players milestones. Don't even get me started on that steriod freak OV. 

I would stand and cheer for a guy coming back from a nasty health condition or overcoming sad adversity in his life.

But again, for me, I am not the nice guy that I am in everyday life when it comes to the scoring acheivements of other teams players.  F' them all. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Vancouver fans are educated? 

I heard a spattering of applause for legends last night that came out for Gino’s memorial. 

Our fans in the stands, for the most part are corporate guests. The lower bowl people, for the most part, are not the ‘educated’ fans. 

Look at the upper bowl, for the most part, for the fans that are the people that have been there for decades. 

BTW, I’m a lower bowl guy. I have money to be down there. But, “I started from the top and now I’m here.”

I have my little daughter and I do lower bowl. I have no regrets nor apologies. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Just saying that 'I' hated it. Dont care about other teams players milestones. Don't even get me started on that steriod freak OV. 

I would stand and cheer for a guy coming back from a nasty health condition or overcoming sad adversity in his life.

But again, for me, I am not the nice guy that I am in everyday life when it comes to the scoring acheivements of other teams players.  F' them all. 

It’s a fair comment. 

I don’t want to cheer for any team or player that’s an opposing player. 

But, I can resign myself to applauding for a good Canadian kid who is a guest in ‘our’ house. 

Canadians that reach records in a Canadian ‘house’ deserves a Canadian applause. It’s what we do for each other. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Hey bud, always a pleasure.  I get what you’re feeling. 

It’s a legal play because it’s considered a  pass. 

The goalie is a legal player on the ice. Passes to and from the goalie is part of the game. 

If you got rid of passing by a forward/dman to the goalie then you’d have open up the can of worms of letting a goalie pass to another player. 

It’s a non-starter.  

There’s always things that can be improved to keep the flow of the game going, but passing between players on the ice shouldn’t be part of speeding up the game. 

Hope it makes sense. Cheers bud. 

its not the pass, its the cover

another newish rule is, if the goalie covers the puck shot from the far side of center, no change is allowed

I see no value in a 3 second play to facilitate a change for a team that is being punished for icing the puck

In soccer a goalie cannot put his hands on the ball if passed back from his own player

hola amigo

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hated it.

And that's fair, that's your take and your experience 

I'm not the same way, once upon a time I was but I was also more invested than I liked, it's shifted as I've tracked the league as a whole more

I'm a Canucks fans but I enjoy other teams and other players, I'm not your denounce all others Alf by any stretch 

We haven't been that sort of team since maybe 2012, we're not good enough to be hated that way and haven't been in a long time

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Vancouver fans are educated? 

I heard a spattering of applause for legends last night that came out for Gino’s memorial. 

Our fans in the stands, for the most part are corporate guests. The lower bowl people, for the most part, are not the ‘educated’ fans. 

Look at the upper bowl, for the most part, for the fans that are the people that have been there for decades. 

BTW, I’m a lower bowl guy. I have money to be down there. But, “I started from the top and now I’m here.”

I have my little daughter and I do lower bowl. I have no regrets nor apologies. 

Depends on how you gauge it I suppose, my personal experience speaking to other Canucks fans is that those who are more than casual fans really know their hockey, or at least their Canucks hockey

I can't speak to the stadium, which the actual quote addresses

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And that's fair, that's your take and your experience 

I'm not the same way, once upon a time I was but I was also more invested than I liked, it's shifted as I've tracked the league as a whole more

I'm a Canucks fans but I enjoy other teams and other players, I'm not your denounce all others Alf by any stretch 

We haven't been that sort of team since maybe 2012, we're not good enough to be hated that way and haven't been in a long time

Make no mistake.

I am fully a fanboy.

I am Canucks. I am not the enemy. Is there other teams?

But, I am also not too invested. If I was I would be in a world of sadness...cause, well...Canucks. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

With us not drafting a RHD last year and it being the glaring weakness out of the all team positions, they need to draft at least a couple especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We need elite defense prospects, can’t keep ignoring this much coveted position that costs way too much in free agency or through trade. For a capped out team like us with no RHD that’s in the system aside from Woo that’s remotely close, we need to get going here.

Takes time to develop Dmen and that’s one area that this new management last year and the previous management regime failed to do. I agree I really hope we can accumulate another 2nd or 3rd (of course additional 1sts but more unlikely) for this draft.

The sooner we restock the cupboards with our own cost controlled ELC’s the sooner we can get back on track to compete. Please no more shortcuts by taking on other teams castoffs/busts.

Noah Juulsen says "Hi"

And didn't look out of place in his 2 game audition earlier in the season, paired, if memory serves me right, with OEL

Together with Brisebois (another D who didnt look out of place in a 3 game audition) they form Abby's shutdown defense pairing, usually starting the game and first over the boards for PK duty. 

But coaches love their vets (and both were emergency callups anyway so they couldn't stay), but IMO they'd be a better shutdown pair here than OEL-Myers are

• Cheers 1