The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

11 hours ago, McBackup said:

Alright, this will be my final thoughts unless someone @s me, someone starts spewing some more room temperature IQ takes about how the fanbase is bad but doesn't include themselves, or some new development happens, because I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.  

I have no issue with Bo making the comments he did. It comes across as simultaneously "calculated to endear himself to the Islanders fans" and "Petty badmouthing of your ex", but those are his feelings. I don't understand why he had to drag the fans into it, but so be it. It is just surprising that it was him of all people. I don't think anybody expected the "Bo Horvat villain arc" as the season finale. 

Conversely, I have no issue with fans taking umbrage with his comments and firing back. You can't say "Horvat is just telling the truth, he's right to say it", and then turn around and cry when fans respond. You can't pick and choose. Either Horvat was in his right to say it and fans are in their right to respond, or Horvat shouldn't have said it and fans shouldn't stoop to that level. 

I like(d) Bo. I wished him well in New York. He wasn't my favourite player on the team but I liked watching him play and was fine with him as captain. But he wasn't my favourite player. However I totally empathize with the people who were massive Horvat fans, had his jersey, etc. It has to hurt when the player you were really emotionally invested in on this team turns around and bad mouths you. So their response is just as valid as Horvat saying the Islanders fans are better blah blah blah.

I imagine this is going to be a fun storyline next year when he comes back into town. 

This. 

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

You obviously don’t know what it means.

Get over myself? The irony. 

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

gate·keep·ing
noun
noun: gatekeeping; plural noun: gatekeepings; noun: gate-keeping; plural noun: gate-keepings
  1. 1.
    the activity of controlling, and usually limiting, general access to something.
    "Wal-Mart's cultural gatekeeping has served to narrow the mainstream for entertainment offerings"

2. 2.
    Computing
    a function or system that controls access or operations to files, computers, networks, or the like.
    "a gatekeeping mechanism that allows reads under some circumstances and blocks them under others"

What does gatekeeping mean slang?

What is Gatekeeping? According to Urban Dictionary, gatekeeping is defined as, "when someone takes it upon themselves to decide who does or does not have access or rights to a community or identity".

Maybe you should take some English courses lol. As a moderator it might be helpful.

33 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

People use the term “gatekeeping” in a broader spectrum than that. The fact that you had to Google it just proves my point that you didn’t know what it meant in that context. But if Urban Dictionary says it…

Anyway, deciding who’s opinions are worthy and who’s aren’t is in this context, “guarding the gate.”

You felt superior in your toughness because you “worked at a mill” and paraded your opinion as superior based on that. Your profession means sweet eff all in regards to the validity of your opinion over that of others. 

It’s an unpaid volunteer position, so I think I’m good on the Urban Dictionary courses, but I appreciate your concern.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Has nothing to do with feeling superior and not sure how you came to that conclusion. I was just trying to point out how attitudes have changed over the years.

The only reason to Google it was to inform you of the meaning not me.

Maybe have a listen to what Elliot Friedman has to say about Horvat's comments. You will have to go to Sportsnet to view it as it is copy protected.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Kootenay Gold

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

Anyways.  just an unfortunate mistake or misspoke. I think it was somewhere in between. He wasn't meaning to diss the city or fans, it was mostly about hearing the excited playoff bound Long Island fans, but he may have felt a little hurt there wasn't enough vocal fan outrage here over trades talks surrounding him. Or that Miller was signed first. (And a-hole fans like me actually praising that move).  Either way it was just dumb, which also raises flags about how smart he is to even say that out loud. But he's also built enough credit for me to forgive him and move on. I won't be booing him when he returns. He knows  he made a mistake. I also think he will clarify his statement at least once more, with more context, before the night he returns. Honestly though, I'd care a lot more about this issue if was from a player I admired more. He just never had any big moments here for me to lament about him leaving. I wish him well.

Agree....I don't worry about what he said too much.  Trading him was best for both parties.....and I liked Bo.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

B0CCBB43-31B8-40F9-9409-AFF379333C6F.thumb.jpeg.5925efbeeeda8a16136b906465174997.jpeg

What happened in 02-03 Nazzy? 1.27ppg in the regular season… what happened to you in playoffs??? .65PPG. What a performance bro.

hows that for stats? 

You’re right he wasn’t a playoff performer. Not sure how this relates to Horvat though sis

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maybe true, but let’s not pretend Bo is a detriment either because that couldn’t be further from the truth. The vitriol against him by some here is pathetic. 

Do you remember the vitriol against Loui? 
Were you on the barricades back then?!?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • elephant 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Too much money in both cases.

If Loui had been on three mill no one botherered.

Likewise if Bo had accepted around 6-7 mill here.

Loui was a net negative, he would still be over paid if he was paying to play here. 

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

IF WE HAD ENOUGH MONEY TO SIGN BOTH MILLER AND HORVAT WE WOULD'VE DONE IT

I honestly don't get how people can be this dense.  Christ.

We've also had cup-winning coaches/managers in the past.  Benning has cup ring.  Torts has a cup ring.  Crawford has a cup ring.  MIKE KEENAN has a cup ring.

The Canucks wouldn’t have signed a 2/3 C for 8,5 mill.

A 1st C for up to 12 mill, a 2nd C for 8 mill.

The 3rd C… Forget about 8,5 mill.

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

The Canucks wouldn’t have signed a 2/3 C for 8,5 mill.

A 1st C for up to 12 mill, a 2nd C for 8 mill.

The 3rd C… Forget about 8,5 mill.

Bo was utilized as a 2C here with Miller joining Pettersson on line 1 splitting FO duties 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Loui was a net negative, he would still be over paid if he was paying to play here. 

Horvat was merely a neutraliser on this team.

FO isn’t that important either as a lot of games showed.

Pity Horvat didn’t accept around 6,5 mill. 
He would have been perfect as the 3rd shutdown C.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bo was utilized as a 2C here with Miller joining Pettersson on line 1 splitting FO duties 

And? Petey has to get better on the dot and we can’t waste Miller on the top line. 
We need two really good offensive lines.

• Wat 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Horvat was merely a neutraliser on this team.

FO isn’t that important either as a lot of games showed.

Pity Horvat didn’t accept around 6,5 mill. 
He would have been perfect as the 3rd shutdown C.

No he wouldn’t, and that is not how he was used at all. 

He was 2C and on PP1 in the bumper position.