The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OK.CDC GM"s - Who is blinking next in the Eastern Conference (Discussion)

I wouldn't expect Boston to do much, if anything.  They're firing on all cylinders and DeBrusk has just returned from injury.  Perhaps a minor tweak is all they would consider and nothing to upset the great chemistry that the team has.  Strong cup contender, although they have to deal with Carolina.  I expect one of those teams to be in the finals.

13 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So, just looking for trade thoughts on 2 different races in the East.

With Toronto pulling the trigger on the O'Reilly trade, it seems like they have one upped the other top contenders.

Aka...........Boston, New Jersey, Tampa and Carolina.............Late add to the post........forgot Tarasenko and Motte to the Rangers

Anyone think they have to add a big name........or are they all standing pat?

Same thing at the bottom of the Conference, with the Islanders adding Horvat, do any of the teams vying for the 7 and 8 spots add?

Right now, there is Pittsburg, Islanders, Washington, Florida, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa, all fighting for those 2 last spots, only 5 points separating all of them with some of the teams having up to 4 games in hand...........pretty tight!

Any of those teams making moves?

Who blinks next?

Detroit fans say Larkin is staying, Toews is gone for the year with Long Covid recovery............who else is out there and available?

My guess is P. Kane goes to Carolina, Boston adds a D either Gavrikov or Chychrun and maybe looks at Boeser or Garland in a Debrusk deal? NJ pays a premium for Meier. 

Canucks hopefully have a busy TDL and makes these so called "major surgery" moves. Then fans can see where we are headed and with what sort of cap room or big targets to address come the draft/FA or future off season trades

1 minute ago, Neutral said:

My guess is P. Kane goes to Carolina, Boston adds a D either Gavrikov or Chychrun and maybe looks at Boeser or Garland in a Debrusk deal? NJ pays a premium for Meier. 

Canucks hopefully have a busy TDL and makes these so called "major surgery" moves. Then fans can see where we are headed and with what sort of cap room or big targets to address come the draft/FA or future off season trades

Removing an elephant is major surgery. Schenn we can move before the TDL. 

Since this is just a generic eastern conference discussion, I gotta say it's time for the Islanders to start selling immediately.  They've just lost Barzal to injury and now they're in crisis mode.  They need to sell their expiring contracts ASAP (I think Parise can actually return to Minnesota now that a year has passed since being bought out) and desperately retool for next season.  Otherwise we are about to get a free lottery pick in 2024.

What I want to see happen and what I think will happen are different. 
What I want is Meier to NJ. That would just be too much fun to watch.  That team is so fun. Jack is one of the most entertaining players since Pavel. Add Meier to that group with that developing D core, force to come. They kind of need the goalie though they could go more the Pits, Red Wings, Avs model of great team decent enough goaltending. 
JTM to Carolina. Match made in heaven. Would be so much fun to watch. 
He would make sense to Colorado but don’t think they can afford the extension. 

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

No way a responsible NHL GM does that imo.  What if you make an 'agreement' wt TB and a better offer comes along?  What if Schenn gets hurt?  Too many uncontrollable factors imo to be making 'agreements' with no guarantees?  You make a trade or you don't,  it's that simple. 

Oh my god Fanuck???? Of course that might happen and they would all be covered............

Hey Allvin........we will give you a late second at the TDL if Schenn is still there, if he isn't injured...........come on man!

These questions and statements about Schenn make me laugh, and remind me of when I worked and 2 managers.........

One manager  would always look for the negative,  always asking consultants what he couldn't do

The other manager always said.......don't tell me what I can't do, tell me what I can do....................

It is a mind set, and some people don't understand the difference...........

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Removing an elephant is major surgery. Schenn we can move before the TDL. 

Agree, I think all they do at the TDL is move Schenn.  Bigger game on the Canucks roster has more than one year remaining on their contracts. 

They've already moved one elephant and the rest are for the offseason.  Honestly, if Allvin can move Myers and Boeser this year, that would be some awesome work.

Miller to Carolina fits perfectly, they have cap space, he could really lead that young group up front, and they have what we need. We could get Morrow + KK back and I'd be happy. 

Then Boeser to MTL (they seem to want him?) for Monahan

Our centers - Petey, Monahan, KK

We get our top young RD, some decent center depth and everyone's on a more manageable cap hit.