The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks File Trademark for Updated Skate Logo

Rate this topic

AngryElf

22 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

The skate jersey represents the fact that we are a hockey team and as Canadians or Canucks we love hockey and it has the Canucks name incorporated. What does an Orca have anything to do with being a Canadian??

please learn some comprehension.

i literally explained the orca's relevance to the pacific northwest, specifically our region. 

i also think i lost brain cells reading your comment.

20 hours ago, Baggins said:

C = Canucks

Just as the stick in rink does. Just because some moron in the local media back in the 90s called it corporate logo, now everyone thinks it's a mess lol.The NHL is a business, making every team logo is a corporate logo.

You're conflating two separate issues. Some people seem to think (erroneously) that it's just a "corporate logo". While some also think (correctly) that's it's an overly fussy, awkward design that looks like cheap, imitation First Nations art, of a constipated whale.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're conflating two separate issues. Some people seem to think (erroneously) that it's just a "corporate logo". While some also think (correctly) that's it's an overly fussy, awkward design that looks like cheap, imitation First Nations art, of a constipated whale.

The skate isn't "overly fussy" with all those colorful strpes to make a boot? I think the Orca logo looks great. Not overboard in it's Haida style, but the inspiration is clearly apparent. Between the Orca and it's style it's perfect tor epresent "where" the team plays. The skate is just busy and hard on the eyes. The vast majority of the dislike for the Orca logo is childish clutching at straws. "Constipated", or "corporate", or "an Orca isn't a Canuck". Must - clutch - straws...

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The skate isn't "overly fussy" with all those colorful strpes to make a boot? I think the Orca logo looks great. Not overboard in it's Haida style, but the inspiration is clearly apparent. Between the Orca and it's style it's perfect tor epresent "where" the team plays. The skate is just busy and hard on the eyes. The vast majority of the dislike for the Orca logo is childish clutching at straws. "Constipated", or "corporate", or "an Orca isn't a Canuck". Must - clutch - straws...

No it's far too busy as well. It's not an either or scenario.

As I said last page, we don't have a "good" logo to pick from. The SIR is our best logo, but it's fairly boring. The V is a background, not a logo. The skate conveys motion well but is too busy and a mess visually. I already re-shared my thoughts on the orca with you. Johnny is a minor league logo.

It's no wonder nobody can agree, given they're all varying amounts of not good lol. 

And no, it's not clutching straws, it's simple logo design. We've been through this...I even posted numerous articles on good logo design for you in the last thread (earlier in this one?). We simply don't have good logos. It's ok to admit it,

Every logo has serious design flaws. Which is why I have made peace with the orca despite not being a fan of it. The removal of the 'VANCOUVER' wordmark upgraded it from bottom 5 in the league to just poorly designed.

The current uniforms however, are nearly perfect. I would be okay with pretty much any of the logos so long as the rest stays the same. The colours are perfect. The striping is perfect. I'm not a fan of ditching the pants stripes or the toilet seat collar, and I would prefer normal block numbers to the MS Word font we currently have, but these are incredibly small issues. Going back to the skate colours because a loud minority won't shut up would be incredibly shortsighted, but this the Canucks we're talking about and 'shortsighted' is their MO.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

No it's far too busy as well. It's not an either or scenario.

As I said last page, we don't have a "good" logo to pick from. The SIR is our best logo, but it's fairly boring. The V is a background, not a logo. The skate conveys motion well but is too busy and a mess visually. I already re-shared my thoughts on the orca with you. Johnny is a minor league logo.

It's no wonder nobody can agree, given they're all varying amounts of not good lol. 

And no, it's not clutching straws, it's simple logo design. We've been through this...I even posted numerous articles on good logo design for you in the last thread (earlier in this one?). We simply don't have good logos. It's ok to admit it,

I said the "vast majority" of the Orca complaints, not you specifically. Yup your design articles love their bland and boring. Seems to me it would make the Blackhawks logo bad. Yet it's among the most popular NHL logos. Weird right? 

Nobody will ever agree on a "Canucks" logo. That's why it's utterly pointless changing it. Keep the Orca and use the third for variety. I thought they kept the boring SiR as the third far too long.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I said the "vast majority" of the Orca complaints, not you specifically. Yup your design articles love their bland and boring. Seems to me it would make the Blackhawks logo bad. Yet it's among the most popular NHL logos. Weird right? 

Nobody will ever agree on a "Canucks" logo. That's why it's utterly pointless changing it. Keep the Orca and use the third for variety. I thought they kept the boring SiR as the third far too long.

I like the updated stick in rink, but do agree it had run its course. 

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

No, they like simple and iconic. 

And no, there's a place for things like the Black Hawks logo. But it generally helps having 100+ years of tradition behind a logo like that.  Probably why you don't see a lot of new logos  that look similar (or like the Red Wings). 

Like I said, with a bunch of not good logos, it's unsurprising nobody agrees. They all have strengths and weakness. There's no one logo to unite them all, One logo to find them, One logo to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I like the updated stick in rink, but do agree it had run its course. 

I agree the udated SiR was a little better than the original. But it's still a boring logo. Since they started the alt 3rd I've always thought that's where some variety should come from every couple of years.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

No, they like simple and iconic. 

And no, there's a place for things like the Black Hawks logo. But it generally helps having 100+ years of tradition behind a logo like that.  Probably why you don't see a lot of new logos  that look similar (or like the Red Wings). 

Like I said, with a bunch of not good logos, it's unsurprising nobody agrees. They all have strengths and weakness. There's no one logo to unite them all, One logo to find them, One logo to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Logos tend to become iconic over time. It has more to do the with recognizability of the logo tied to longevity/success of the company. Chicago's isn't bland and boring but is iconic because it's been around so long it's easily recognizable as Chicago Blackawks. I'd argue all of the original 6 logos would be viewed as iconic no matter what they were if as long as they remained largely unchanged. I'd argue Montreal could have gone with a maple leaf with a Fleur-de-lis within it (French-Canadian) as their logo and it would be iconic today because of longevity and success behind the logo. A logo only becomes iconic through longevity and/or success, rather than simplicity. Hence Chicago's being iconic.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Logos tend to become iconic over time. It has more to do the with recognizability of the logo tied to longevity/success of the company. Chicago's isn't bland and boring but is iconic because it's been around so long it's easily recognizable as Chicago Blackawks. I'd argue all of the original 6 logos would be viewed as iconic no matter what they were if as long as they remained largely unchanged. I'd argue Montreal could have gone with a maple leaf with a Fleur-de-lis within it (French-Canadian) as their logo and it would be iconic today because of longevity and success behind the logo. A logo only becomes iconic through longevity and/or success, rather than simplicity. Hence Chicago's being iconic.

Look at the Flyers, iconic logo and mostly unchanged since 67. 

59 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Look at the Flyers, iconic logo and mostly unchanged since 67. 

Also, a simple, clean design. It's an excellent logo. It's also VERY different from the Blackhawks or Red Wings logos. Which again are very traditional and would be hard to replicate something similar in a newer logo design, without looking cringy.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Yes they're iconic (despite their busier, "traditional" designs) because of their history. 

Good luck designing a new sports logo like that, that doesn't look cringy and derivative (or simply busy and awkward like the orca).

Fact is, most logos only achieve that longevity, via their simplicity and good design. Your exceptions don't prove the rule.