The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 hour ago, mll said:

Must have missed it but why did Detroit move him?  Doesn't it now create a hole in their lineup.  Thought they were ready to take that next step and even extended Larkin.

Because they were able to absolutely rip us off for a 25 year old due for an overpayment next year as an RFA

1 minute ago, awalk said:

It's not worse but it feels almost as bad. We finally had a direction. Draft picks and youth. Then we just traded away a 1st and a 2nd in an incredibly deep draft for a 'win within the next 3 years or bust' move. It's a gut punch.

I can understand why management made this move. You can't win with all youth, it just never happens in the NHL. Look at all the players that they've brought in so far. They're all , for the most part, in their mid-twenties (Kratsov - 23; Hronek - 24; Beauvillier - 25; Räty - 20; Bloom - 19). 

I think I'd be really angry if the Canucks traded their own 2023 1st. Then at that point, you just have to really wonder if Allvin has lost his marbles. 

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

If Hronek continues his point production pace next season, he will most likely command at least $7M on his next contract on a long term deal.  Maybe less on a bridge deal (but he will be 26yr old next year).

Hronek is most likely Myers replacement.  Better if Canucks can trade Myers in the summer.

The timing is good, Myers at 6M for Hronek. 

Because they were able to absolutely rip us off for a 25 year old due for an overpayment next year as an RFA

yeah, well, if that's the case, then they need to move him next season for something else. 

• Like 1

He's already had two really strong point production years in a row. Be very surprised if he gives a discount.

He has never scored 40 points in a NHL season.

Last season 34 points in 75 games.

He played in a defensive system.

He now plays with players that suit his play.

If you go by the metric 1 million for every 10 points that makes him just around his current contract. 

Like I stated lock him up now before he can demand more.

This also helps if you trade him sometime in the future. 

What can we lose by trying to do this ?

Just now, Ilunga said:

If you go by the metric 1 million for every 10 points that makes him just around his current contract. 

38 points last year and he's on pace for 40 this year if he can return before season end. He won't be a discount signing. 

15 minutes ago, awalk said:

"Until more gets done, I don't get how it makes sense" 

Yeah doesn't sound too positive about it. 

Deal makes no sense unless they somehow go out and get some more draft picks / prospects before the deadline or at the draft. 

Bottom 10 team in the league paying futures for a win now player. Hilarious.

Did you actually listen to the podcast or you just read that tweet 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mordekai said:

Did you actually listen to the podcast or you just read that tweet 

Read the tweet. Haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet so if the tone is very different, I have no issue admitting I misread the tweet. I'll listen tomorrow. 

But on the tweet, I agree that this makes absolutely no sense to me unless more deals are made to bring in futures before the draft.

8 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Im a fan of this trade. I was pitching a few trade proposal ideas of Horvat for Hronek so the fact that we got a couple other key assets on top of that is a big win in my books. 

Hronek is a gamer who will fit in well with this teams core. I am also a fan of getting more skilled Czech hockey players on this team. 

I am concerned about the hit he took from Reaves. I think he will still play a long career in the NHL but he could use a rest at the moment. I would be fine if he didn't play until training camp next season.  That would also help with our tank. Next season this team needs to be ready to win.  I really hope Livingstone signs with the Canucks. I see Bear as a decent 3rd/ 4th d man. 

Id like to move on from OEL and replace him with someone younger better and tougher. From my observation Myers has been the main reason for so many goals against. Removing him from the line up will be a big improvement. 

Good luck with moving OEL's salary and having that on the books for longer with a buyout is not too appealing neither.  OEL and Bear as a third pair is reasonable other than OEL's salary.  Moving Myers after his bonus will no doubt be doable......so we still need 2 top 4 D before we have a chance to move forward.

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Think since he has this season and next under contract, i believe he cannot sign a new contract until after july1st, see Miller.

Just now, awalk said:

38 points last year and he's on pace for 40 this year if he can return before season end. He won't be a discount signing. 

34 points.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=169563

How do you know what he will sign for ? 

As I stated how can we lose trying to sign him to a team friendly contract.

Just now, awalk said:

Read the tweet. Haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet so if the tone is very different, I have no issue admitting I misread the tweet. I'll listen tomorrow. 

But on the tweet, I agree that this makes absolutely no sense to me unless more deals are made to bring in futures before the draft.

Yea you should just go listen to his podcast or this 

• Thanks 1

At least Hronek plays physical and he also has 5 fighting majors in his career so far so he’s a guy that isn’t afraid to drop the gloves and throw his weight around

6 minutes ago, awalk said:

It's not worse but it feels almost as bad. We finally had a direction. Draft picks and youth. Then we just traded away a 1st and a 2nd in an incredibly deep draft for a 'win within the next 3 years or bust' move. It's a gut punch.

Most likely no D-man selected in the top 12 this year…unless we do.  Detroit will have their pick of the litter to replace Hronek with a great player on an ELC.

chance Sandin Pelikka, Dragicevic and Reinbacher are all there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Think since he has this season and next under contract, i believe he cannot sign a new contract until after july1st, see Miller.

I don't mean do it today, just as soon as possible. 

I like how he has slotted straight in and been productive from the start. 

And it ain't just the  Petey effect, he has scored 6 goals off his own stick. 

Anyway said my piece, if you don't agree that's fine.

We all have our opinions.

• Cheers 1