The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Heard the samething, from their fanbased: they were surprised to get a 1st and 2nd for a 2nd pairing D.  Yzerman sold high and Allvin got desperate 

One of good friends main team is the Redwings. He's been high on Hronek ever since they drafted him. He was absolutely thrilled they got the haul they did for him and is beyond stoked with the move. He told me point blank, he thinks this year is the best Hronek will ever be and is glad they sold high while they can.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Craig Button is a former GM, a former head scout and has been around hockey and evaluating talent for decades.  You are referring to guys on the radio and tv who are members of the media.  If you actually want to take the media's side on this deal over a hockey expert like Button, then I could see why you don't like the trade.

If you can find someone outside of the media that has similar credentials as Button who disagrees with the trade, then you are more than welcome to post those articles...

1 guy vs the entire industry.

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

The media gets paid per click, not for being accurate. If it bleeds it leads.

The media are not hockey experts, I think that is the confusing part for some.  I have not seen any actual hockey experts like Button criticize the trade.  But I may have missed someone, so I'd be more than happy to see any articles from former GM's or head scouts that disagree with this trade from the Canucks perspective...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

One of good friends main team is the Redwings. He's been high on Hronek ever since they drafted him. He was absolutely thrilled they got the haul they did for him and is beyond stoked with the move. He told me point blank, he thinks this year is the best Hronek will ever be and is glad they sold high while they can.

So your friend can predict the future?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So your friend can predict the future?

Lol what a stupid comment. No, but who would I trust more on the Horvat trade. Us who watched him since he was drafted, or Islanders fans who were pumping their shiny new toy.

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Probably just rationalizing losing a great player. Same as the posters who insist Bo will regress after this year…makes it easier to break up with your ex, lol. 

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

1 guy vs the entire industry.

So, you can't even post an article from one hockey expert?  It's just the parasites in the media versus Button?  I'll take Button's word then and makes me like this trade even more if there are no other hockey experts who disagree with it from the Canucks side...

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Probably just rationalizing losing a great player. Same as the posters who insist Bo will regress after this year…makes it easier to break up with your ex, lol. 

Or a guy who's stoked his team is actually trying to make a cup contending team instead of making moves that confuse nearly every professional questioned about it.

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Lol what a stupid comment. No, but who would I trust more on the Horvat trade. Us who watched him since he was drafted, or Islanders fans who were pumping their shiny new toy.

You literally said your friend told you that this is the best that Hronek will ever be, full stop.  So, I am only asking if he can predict the future, as I am curious as to how he can make such a statement without knowing what is exactly still to come...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You literally said your friend told you that this is the best that Hronek will ever be, full stop.  So, I am only asking if he can predict the future, as I am curious as to how he can make such a statement without knowing what is exactly still to come...

Yup, I also said and I quote "he thinks". 2 buddies chatting hockey and you start pulling absolutes into the conversation. That's why it was a stupid comment that you're now doubling down on.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Or a guy who's stoked his team is actually trying to make a cup contending team instead of making moves that confuse nearly every professional questioned about it.

I don’t think any of those professionals questioned the level of player Hronek is though.

It was more so the timing for the Canucks being where they are in the standings.

Its up to management now to build up a team that makes this move make sense.

The idea that at 25 Hronek is done developing though it’s kinda crazy. And even if he stays at his current level isn’t that a pretty good D man? I think they’re probably hoping that this is his ceiling because if it’s not and those picks don’t pan out the trade could look much different.

Edited by DeNiro

18 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Heard the samething, from their fanbased: they were surprised to get a 1st and 2nd for a 2nd pairing D.  Yzerman sold high and Allvin got desperate 

We'll only know if Yzerman sold high after at least a couple of years. Not defending the trade or anything. I just don't see the point in portraying guesses as facts. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think any of those professionals questioned the level of player Hronek is though.

It was more so the timing for the Canucks being where they are in the standings.

Its up to management now to build up a team that makes this move make sense.

Sure. Completely agree. I haven't heard one person in the know say they don't like the player in a vacuum. But when dozens of people who's lively hood revolve around talking hockey are confused why the Canucks made a move, it really makes you take notice.

Management can make sense of this move, but it's certainly not going to be easy. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yzerman did the samething with another 25yr old: Mantha.  Yzerman took the lottery tickets and the cap space.  Imo, we will see the very best of Hronek - IF he clicks with the staff & roster, until he signs his retirement deal.

• Cheers 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Sure. Completely agree. I haven't heard one person in the know say they don't like the player in a vacuum. But when dozens of people who's lively good revolve around talking hockey are confused why the Canucks made a move, it really makes you take notice.

Management can make sense of this move, but it's certainly not going to be easy. 

Hey I was confused too.

I was like wait how are we buyers right now? Why are we trading picks whose value aren’t even set? Why are we making a move that will improve our team and hurt our draft position?

I understand their confusion but a lot of it is based around them believing that this team is a bottom 10 team. Management obviously doesn’t believe that. 

If they’re challenging for the 2nd or 3rd spot in the division next season nobody would be questioning the move.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

We'll only know if Yzerman sold high after at least a couple of years. Not defending the trade or anything. I just don't see the point in portraying guesses as facts. 

He did the same with Mantha and the cap space alone, gives him a lot of options.  Plus, the fans are ecstatic with the deal, so I would consider it as more than a guess.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski