The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Hronek gets a “several” million dollar (on the cap) raise then we will be looking really good at the end of next season. 

LOL are you saying he will be a much better player than Petterson or Huges if gets a raise. Alfives are you a sarcasm fan

• Cheers 1

Just now, EastCoastNucks said:

LOL are you saying he will be a much better player than Petterson or Huges if gets a raise. Alfives are you a sarcasm fan

Hronek will carry our second pair. He’s a top pairing D, but we already have Hughes to carry the first pair. So Hronek will be our 3D and carry the second pairing. If he ends up, after next season, deserving a several million dollar raise (as suggested by another poster) then he’s had another very good year. And if he has a very good year, our team has had a very good year. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

54 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think OEL gets bought out in the summer and we walk away from Dermott and Bear if we sign Livingstone. I think we land Gavrikov in free agency, we would be an attractive destination for him with all the Russians we have and an opening in the top 4. 

the bottom pair right now is looking good, I like the Wolanin/Burroughs pairing, they both can skate and Burr gives us some toughness on the backend.

Hughes - Livingstone

Gavrikov - Hronek

Wolanin - Burroughs

I like what you are suggesting. I don’t think Bear makes the cut next fall. Burroughs as. 7/8. Maybe wishful thinking with Livingstone with Hughes but wouldn’t that be nice. The one player you are missing is the young Swede, Johansson? Not sure if I have the name right. He is supposed to be a RD so putting him with Wolanin could interesting. More options this fall than we have seen in a long time.

• There it is 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Hronek gets a “several” million dollar (on the cap) raise then we will be looking really good at the end of next season. 

That doesn’t make any sense.  Cap will be going up, a top 4D will make a lot when we are faced with no alternatives.  Actually, the worse we are and the more we would have to overpay to keep him.

We have had several players having career years with her last year or this one and the team has still been god awful.  Individual player success is barely correlated with where the team ends up in the standings.

The player will have us over a barrel due to what was given up for him, how badly we need him, an the fact he could just take a qualifying offer to then become a free agent.  Management has also committed to a short term retool so needs to somehow keep him.

Allvin has no leverage in the negotiation.  The number is going to start with a seven and hopefully not an eight.

Why we are giving up significant assets for guys that we have to pay full UFA market rates for seems just stupid at this point.  There is apparently no way out of the loop either.  Give away picks that could turn into cheap players and you keep having to pay full

freight or more for buying guys.

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek will carry our second pair. He’s a top pairing D, but we already have Hughes to carry the first pair. So Hronek will be our 3D and carry the second pairing. If he ends up, after next season, deserving a several million dollar raise (as suggested by another poster) then he’s had another very good year. And if he has a very good year, our team has had a very good year. 

Your kinda sounding like Jim Benning Alf. :) 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope what you say is true @Alflives It’s a gamble now vs a draft pick later

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if we even keep Bear. If we do sign Livingston, I’d say Bear is either let go or offered a very team friendly contract. 

Hughes Livingston 

OEL Hronek

Dermott Myers

Burr. 

Could let both Bear and Dermott walk and play Breezer, Wolanin, Burr, and Johannssen.

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh, for sure! but do you know what we are paying OEL and Myers? Do you think we can afford several million raises on D>?

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

… or don’t bother qualifying him.  He is a 3rd pairing D and will be asking for more money than he is worth.  We have to save money to re-sign Hroken now at a several million dollar raise soon.

The world it makes sense to me to keep OEL and qualify BEAR

Is if we sign Jake Livingstone to an ELC.

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE/BEAR

GAVRIKOV-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR/LIVINGSTONE

1. Livingstone is going to want opportunity where he signs. I mean we give him every opportunity to play with Hughes but if he’s not ready for it in it’s entirety it would be nice to have Bear there. We do know Bear can play with Hughes. 

2. Gavrikov-Hronek will be eating meaningful and hard minutes making Hughes even more effective over the course of 60 minutes. This would take some pressure off Livingstones rookie year.

3. OELs best partner all year imo was Bear. Bears puck retrieval and mobility really helped OEL. A healthier OEL-BEAR should be a very effective 3rd pairing.

4. Bear could probably be had for a 1 year deal. As having some opportunity to continue building on his market value here in an improved system and oils set him up to cash in next UFA season. If all goes smooth. 

5. Hronek extension, we still will have an OEL buyout as an ace in our pocket next offseason. But if OEL has a good summer and a decent year we may be able to trade him with retention rather than buy him out. Bear extension would only be 1 year in my Vision of it working so he wouldn’t impact Hronek money / cap issue.

My opinion on how it could shake down. 

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is arguably better in terms of generating offense (assists) and Hronek is more of a 2-way D but both are good drivers of offense.  On paper it's better to have them on separate pairs.  But they still need players to partner with either of them.  Can Bear be a partner to Hughes?  In a pinch I suppose. 

One of the benefits of trading for Hronek is obviously, the freedom to move on from Myers but they'll probably have to retain so won't be truly free of the $6M salary until it expires

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Oh, for sure! but do you know what we are paying OEL and Myers? Do you think we can afford several million raises on D>?

Buy out OEL. Myers contract ends 2024, if he’s not traded sooner. We clear 11-13 mil. Trade Garland. That’s five more of the books. 

Excellent players, like Hronek are worth their contracts. 

Hughes and Hronek anchoring our top two pairs is fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Hughes is arguably better in terms of generating offense (assists) and Hronek is more of a 2-way D but both are good drivers of offense.  On paper it's better to have them on separate pairs.  But they still need players to partner with either of them.  Can Bear be a partner to Hughes?  In a pinch I suppose. 

One of the benefits of trading for Hronek is obviously, the freedom to move on from Myers but they'll probably have to retain so won't be truly free of the $6M salary until it expires

All good points. And Myers’ deal ends when Hronek’s new deal will begin. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Buy out OEL. Myers contract ends 2024, if he’s not traded sooner. We clear 11-13 mil. Trade Garland. That’s five more of the books. 

Excellent players, like Hronek are worth their contracts. 

Hughes and Hronek anchoring our top two pairs is fantastic. 

yeah you arent seeing the cap hit for buyouts, and Garland is worth his salt 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The world it makes sense to me to keep OEL and qualify BEAR

Is if we sign Jake Livingstone to an ELC.

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE/BEAR

GAVRIKOV-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR/LIVINGSTONE

1. Livingstone is going to want opportunity where he signs. I mean we give him every opportunity to play with Hughes but if he’s not ready for it in it’s entirety it would be nice to have Bear there. We do know Bear can play with Hughes. 

2. Gavrikov-Hronek will be eating meaningful and hard minutes making Hughes even more effective over the course of 60 minutes. This would take some pressure off Livingstones rookie year.

3. OELs best partner all year imo was Bear. Bears puck retrieval and mobility really helped OEL. A healthier OEL-BEAR should be a very effective 3rd pairing.

4. Bear could probably be had for a 1 year deal. As having some opportunity to continue building on his market value here in an improved system and oils set him up to cash in next UFA season. If all goes smooth. 

5. Hronek extension, we still will have an OEL buyout as an ace in our pocket next offseason. But if OEL has a good summer and a decent year we may be able to trade him with retention rather than buy him out. Bear extension would only be 1 year in my Vision of it working so he wouldn’t impact Hronek money / cap issue.

My opinion on how it could shake down. 

Dude, your opinion makes good sense. We cant lose OEL and Myers as everyone thinks we can. Bear and Huges are the only pairs for OEL and Myers so that we can sell Myers and OEL

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Dude, your opinion makes good sense. We cant lose OEL and Myers as everyone thinks we can. Bear and Huges are the only pairs for OEL and Myers so that we can sell Myers and OEL

Honestly if we can lose 1 of them and help the cap I’m all for it.Would like to keep bear

1 minute ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Hronek is a far superior player to Bear. If we do keep OEL, which I doubt, the he will be carried on the second pairing by Hronek. I think we sign Livingston, which means (if Myers is still here) Bear is let go.  If Myers is moved, then we will keep Bear. 

Highes Livingston 

OEL Hronek

Dermott Myers/Bear

Burr.