The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Also, others dont seem to think it was a joke.

image.thumb.png.97fcf16cec89ed9d92c856e758bc4d51.png

During that presser Lamorillo talked of how pleased he is to add a player of that calibre that brings it every night and talks of how he's going to be an asset.  As for that specific moment it's at the 1:10 mark.  Lamoriello is know for not releasing contract details.  Reporter asks him if he can give them the contract details.  Instead of simply saying they don't release contract details he answers that all he can tell them is that it's too much term and too much money.  Was a pirouette to not give the contract details.  Lamoriello doesn't like long term deals but he gets that it's inevitable.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

During that presser Lamorillo talked of how pleased he is to add a player of that calibre that brings it every night and talks of how he's going to be an asset.  As for that specific moment it's at the 1:10 mark.  Lamoriello is know for not releasing contract details.  Reporter asks him if he can give them the contract details.  Instead of simply saying they don't release contract details he answers that all he can tell them is that it's too much term and too much money.  Was a pirouette to not give the contract details.  Lamoriello doesn't like long term deals but he gets that it's inevitable.  

Thats pretty reasonable analysis, for sure.

I guess we come back in a years time and see how that contract ages.

My guess is he continues at his current NYI pace, which is his previous Vancouver pace as well. Which will make him decidedly overpaid

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup

Kuz has done more with his time on PP than Brock for sure

Even when not on the PP, he rang one off the post on his own individual effort.  He is definitely a better player than Brock

That being said, Brock has picked it up. Not worth the money but much better play than previous.

Brock seems to have come alive again and is once again taking shots and trying to drive play. No shock he's been showing up on the score sheet as a result.

I have always thought his problems were phycological and could turn it around.

If we trade him we might get something back, and that would fix our cap problem (in that we wouldn't have much space at all but at least we would have some). 

But then were down a Brock Boeser too. 

But ya, Kuz has replaced him so it does make him expendable. The problem has never really been the forwards though.

Corrado has a great take on this trade:

• Hronek is a great player
  • He likes good players together, and wants to try him with Hughes this season
  • His contract next year is a steal
  • We have more work to do on the defence, but this is a great move
Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Actually hes right. We traded Bo, we got the islanders 1st, Raty, Beauvillier. 

We traded the Islanders 1st and our 2nd  for Hronek, and a 4th

Therefore:

We lost Bo, and our 2nd

We got: Hronek, Raty, Beauvillier, a 4th

It looks even better when you add the Schenn and Lockwood trades

• Like 1

Out:

Horvat (with his ridiculous contract demands and quiet leadership style)

Schenn

Lockwood

2nd (this hurts, and will likely be a good player)

7th

In:

Hronek (addressed our greatest positional need, great contract, club control)

Beauvillier (currently pumping his value, producing ~PPG)

Raty (another teams best prospect)

Kravtzov (outstanding buy low, high upside trade - instant chemistry with Podz)

3rd

4th

opportunity for Hughes & Petey to wear the A

We could also be acquiring picks and prospects for 2-3 of our wingers this off-season, so this picture should improve. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

High picks in the strongest draft in years, for a guy that may well be damaged goods. 

I have since done more research on Hronek’s situation this season - there is a great, in depth article on The Athletic with regard to Hronek. Turns out that there was more than one issue that occurred about the same time as the massive hit he took, and his massive decline in performance, at that same time he got gifted a pairing with Chiarot - more than enough to crater anyone’s performance. It was the equivalent of pairing anyone on the Canucks with this year’s version of OEL - it was a total disaster. The Athletic article is very detailed in its analysis - they have great,in depth reports - a great deal for two bucks a month.

After reading the Athletic article, my view on the trade is entirely changed. This could be a great pickup, and a coup for the Canucks. I now look at the trade this way: we traded Horvat and a second for Beauvillier, Raty, Hronek, and a fourth: we got what looks like a very underrated winger in Beauvillier, a high ranked prospect in Raty, a fourth, and an emerging top four 25 year old RHD that we have coveted for so long.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For anyone hung up on the NYI 1st, think of Kravtzov (9OA) as your replacement.

And Raty (52OA) replaces the 2nd.

Both have a full off-season and full training camp with our upgraded development staff, and are more NHL ready than the picks would have been.

If we don’t win the lottery, we can possibly draft Reinbacher, who’s now listed as low as 11th in some draft rankings. Then we have our own RHD coming up on an ELC in 2-3 years when we’re more competitive, and to offset Hronek’s next contract

4 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have since done more research on Hronek’s situation this season - there is a great, in depth article on The Athletic with regard to Hronek. Turns out that there was more than one issue that occurred about the same time as the massive hit he took, and his massive decline in performance, at that same time he got gifted a pairing with Chiarot - more than enough to crater anyone’s performance. It was the equivalent of pairing anyone on the Canucks with this year’s version of OEL - it was a total disaster. Then Athletic article is very detailed in its analysis - they have great,in depth reports - a great deal for two bucks a month.

Seider played poorly with Chiarot also, so he’s the common denominator 

What are the other issues with Hronek? 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Seider played poorly with Chiarot also, so he’s the common denominator 

What are the other issues with Hronek? 

I read a lot of Detroit fan comments after the trade, and many agreed that Hronek getting paired with Chiarot tanked his numbers. Since being paired with Maata, he has been having a career season. Many lament his defensive play and turnovers that sound an awful lot like Miller's turnovers (blind behind the back plays). But, considering Tocc took no time at all to get Miller in check, I'm betting Hronek will become an even better player under him, Foote, and Gonchar. We just need to find a solid partner to play with him. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hughes-Livingstone

Gavrikov-Hronek

Defensive dman- Jacob Bernard-Docker

It's not my problem what the Canucks do with Myers or OEL. That's their problem :P

Gavrikov would fit in so nicely next to Hronek. I haven't looked too much into the cap logistics, but I wonder how much an OEL buyout and then a Gavrikov signing would make sense. I like his age at 27 as well. 

There was a report that the Kings offered him a contract extension immediately after the trade, but he said he wanted to test free agency in the summer. He would be promised a top-4 role here, and he can join the Russian mafia that we have going here! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Jester13 said:

I read a lot of Detroit fan comments after the trade, and many agreed that Hronek getting paired with Chiarot tanked his numbers. Since being paired with Maata, he has been having a career season. Many lament his defensive play and turnovers that sound an awful lot like Miller's turnovers (blind behind the back plays). But, considering Tocc took no time at all to get Miller in check, I'm betting Hronek will become an even better player under him, Foote, and Gonchar. We just need to find a solid partner to play with him. 

Yep, I read that too on HF boards. 

Hughes (as an experiment) and a healthy OEL should be good options, until we sign #wearegoldstar Gavrikov this off-season, lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

There is a great article in the Athletic on exactly this issue. If the Reeves hit (which occurred at about the same time as his pairing with Chiarot) was a non-event, then we have got a helluva deal:

Horvat and a second

For Beauvillier, Hronek, Raty, and a fourth.