The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Cap space?

They’re gonna have Villardi due for a raise and Moore’s new contract kicking in. Plus a starting goaltender to sign.

I think they’re in a position with their depth now they can afford to pay for a rental.

I think they'll figure it out, rentals aren't really their MO

36 minutes ago, brian42 said:

“It doesn’t sound like he’s inclined to talk to whatever team ends up acquiring him about an extension at this point in time and so you’d be spending those three assets for a rental player who probably wants to become a free agent this summer,” Chris Johnston (TSN) 

Eh, we'll see, I reckon LA will be talking to him

There's a difference between playing for an up and comer in Los Angeles and playing for a bottom feeder in Columbus Ohio

14 minutes ago, jyu said:

That is true. The raise would be 1.25-1.5 mil for 2-3 years?

Livingstone would be on an ELC so about 1 mil. 

Bear is mobile and generally a decent bottom 6 player but a little expensive for our team because we have so little cap space. I guess he could prove me wrong and take a paycut to stay here.

NJD may want a cheaper replacement for Severson. Trade them Bear for Bahl (also an RFA), and we get our shut down LHD 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Could we have both Bear and Schenn?

Both needs to take a discount. Probably combined 2.5 mil, 3 mil max.

We are over the cap already. Let's say everything goes well and we clear 6m from Myers and 4m from Boeser (with retention). 10 mil in total. If we sign Bear and Schenn combined for 3mil:

Hughes-Schenn

x-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Hronek, Bear, and Schenn are all capable in secondary PK roles so they can somehow share the PK minutes but we still don't have primary #1LD PKer and that means crappy PK once again and the losses will pile up.

Defensive 3C is also important as we seek to improving our PK. Getting a good 3C can bring balance to the line up in general. We have some good young wingers that can shine if they have a better centerman.

We have 7 mil to find a top 4LD and 3C.

Maybe Raty is the solution for 3C, then problem solved. If not, good 3Cs in the UFA market could easily cost upwards of 4 mil. Top 4LDs cost 5+ mil in the UFA market. So what we have is clearly not enough to find both 4LD and 3C from the UFA. We will have to get one or the other via trade but what can we give up for a top 4LD or 3C? And who will give us one if it's not an overpayment?

Even if we do somehow find them via UFA and/or trades, that takes us right to the cap and we have very little left for depth. I suppose some of the young players like Johansson in Sweden could be our depth on RD and maybe Breezer and Wolanin are good enough options. If we sign Livingstone, he would provide good depth on the right side. 

At the end of the day, if all things go well, we have a wild card team. If there is a significant injury or team doesn't have much balance/chemistry, then we are back to the drawing board.

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

NJD may want a cheaper replacement for Severson. Trade them Bear for Bahl (also an RFA), and we get our shut down LHD 

I'd do that trade for sure. Two questions: how much does Bahl cost and will NJD who are now in contention see Bear as good replacement for Severson. Remember, Bear wasn't able to crack Carolina's lineup and Carolina is one of the teams that NJD is trying to overtake.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Jury is out on Hronek but management largely underwhelmed. They weren't really able to shift cap out outside of their having bungled Horvat which resulted in their having to move him, in fact they brought more in. 

Disappointing results. 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Careful. You're beginning to sound like someone who isn't a real fan. 

Now if we ever win the cup you’re not allowed to celebrate. 

Sorry. I don’t make the rules. 
I just enforce them. 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, jyu said:

I'd do that trade for sure. Two questions: how much does Bahl cost and will NJD who are now in contention see Bear as good replacement for Severson. Remember, Bear wasn't able to crack Carolina's lineup and Carolina is one of the teams that NJD is trying to overtake.

Not sure, looks like Bahl and Severson are 3rd pairing when NJD is healthy. Guess it depends on whether they resign Graves. They’ve got Meier to resign, so possible they’ll need to save somewhere else.

5 minutes ago, jyu said:

I don't see Bear as having much value tbh, not in a trade anyway. 

If anything Jersey will reallocate cap from Severson to Graves as they're already set on the right and don't need to replace Severson persay. 

Their top four probably looks like this going forward.

Siegenthaler - Hamilton

Graves - Marino 

Bahl isn't likely to cost them much to retain either, he's up to 4 points in 24 games thus far. 

Letting Tatar likely covers Bratt and some of Meier, Jonathan Bernier's 4.1M being freed up likely covers the rest of Meier. They'll likely flip Blackwood's rights and reallocate his 2.8M back into the roster. Could probably find more cost effective replacements for Wood and Haula. 

Jersey's in an enviable position really, they'll likely find a way to keep the best pieces of their current roster intact and they've still got great prospects in the system. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jyu said:

Umm, I think NJ has a replacement in line. Currently playing in Michigan partnered with a Canucks prospect. May or may not have same last name as one of our players. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Now if we ever win the cup you’re not allowed to celebrate. 

Sorry. I don’t make the rules. 
I just enforce them. 

I mean, they've managed to not do it in 50 plus years and we're up to 32 NHL teams, there's a strong chance I'll never have to worry about this predicament..

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Umm, I think NJ has a replacement in line. Currently playing in Michigan partnered with a Canucks prospect. May or may not have same last name as one of our players. 

who? never heard of him.

Seriously though Luke is an LD and Severson is RD. Maybe they want an RD to replace an RD?

1 minute ago, AV's Coin said:

How are the kids doing?

I’m happy. Furry, drunk, and happy. 

Im now happy with Hronek. We basically traded Horfat for Hronek (a #3 right shot D) + Raty (a 3C who might develop into a 2C) + Beau (who looks like he meshes perfectly with Petey on our top line).  Since our owner won’t allow a rebuild, then this trade is what we needed to do. So our top four D looks not too bad. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Not sure, looks like Bahl and Severson are 3rd pairing when NJD is healthy. Guess it depends on whether they resign Graves. They’ve got Meier to resign, so possible they’ll need to save somewhere else.

They need to re-sign a lot of guys but they also have Hughes and Nemec coming up as possible replacements.

Nemec might replace Severson right away in which case, they don't need to replace Severson anyways.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Or did you confuse Hughes with Nemec.

If you are referring to Nemec, you are right. Nemec probably replaces Severson next season. They don't need Bear.