The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL appears to be considering Atlanta and Houston for expansion

Rate this topic

Bits and pieces have been popping up over the last few days and it's caught me off guard. Could the NHL actually be considering giving Atlanta third shot? 

Could be nothing but it's a rather random bit to have popped up. 

Update: Weekes is indicating there's interest in both Atlanta and Houston 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Yup.  Put yet another team in Atlanta.

Make it Arizona; i.e. Yotes to Atl.

Then, when it crashes again; move it to Quebec City.

Man, I miss the Nords.

That's the funny bit, it could legit be Quebec's best shot at getting a team back

• Cheers 1

Only team to thrash the vaunted Canadiens .. time and time again.

That team moved to Colo and won Cups.

But I loved how they trashed the ftinnningcxking 'Abs.

Hated that team for over 60 years now!

(My older brother had Les 'Abs on the old metal board game and I had TO; which I loved until Bobby Orr; then, it was all over.

I loved Bobby Orr; still do probably.

Would assume it would be a relocation.. a 33 team league is a bit of an issue for scheduling and seeding formats. 

Unless they wanna add another team in Arizona, as that market is clearly sustainable, and then add Atlanta as the 34.

10 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yup.  Put yet another team in Atlanta.

Make it Arizona; i.e. Yotes to Atl.

Then, when it crashes again; move it to Quebec City.

Man, I miss the Nords.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's the funny bit, it could legit be Quebec's best shot at getting a team back

It needs to be Quebec City. Why should Atlanta get a third chance before QC even gets a second?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And they'd have enough draft picks to get the next Forsberg etc.

(I also must note; I loved the Statsny Brothers (Mario came after this clip):

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

Would assume it would be a relocation.. a 33 team league is a bit of an issue for scheduling and seeding formats. 

Unless they wanna add another team in Arizona, as that market is clearly sustainable, and then add Atlanta as the 34.

No, they should delete the "team" in Arizona (I know it won't happen).

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

It needs to be Quebec City. Why should Atlanta get a third chance before QC even gets a second?

Because the NHL wants to grow the game in the US? They've thought well enough of the market to give it a second chance in the first place so there must have been something they saw? 

If it's expansion they're eying instead of relocation it could very well end up being both, they'd just have to shuffle some teams back to the West. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

Because the NHL wants to grow the game in the US? They've thought well enough of the market to give it a second chance in the first place so there must have been something they saw? 

And yet both times failed miserably. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

If it's expansion you'd have to think they'd be looking to grow the league to 34. Kansas city perhaps, maybe Houston. Texas has the population to support two teams, certainly. 

Relocation could be in the cards but there's not too many teams I'd view as serious relocation possibilities. Arizona being the obvious one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ain't my billions, this is the same league that's kept the Arizona experiment going. 

Yep. Idc they have a fancy new stadium being built, having an NHL team play on a college campus is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Just now, Pears said:

Yep. Idc they have a fancy new stadium being built, having an NHL team play on a college campus is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Agreed, but the league's expanded to places like Florida, Tampa, Arizona. Some even saw Vegas as a risk. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a third crack at it. 

Obviously it'd be cool to see a team back in Quebec though.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Probably the only team where you can stick a player there and don't play a single game if on ltir for example 

The NHL's 450 million dollar dumping ground

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If it's expansion you'd have to think they'd be looking to grow the league to 34. Kansas city perhaps, maybe Houston. Texas has the population to support two teams, certainly. 

Relocation could be in the cards but there's not too many teams I'd view as serious relocation possibilities. Arizona being the obvious one. 

I think after the arena being built, and all the council votes etc.. they're too far in now to bail on the Coyotes.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, but the league's expanded to places like Florida, Tampa, Arizona. Some even saw Vegas as a risk. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a third crack at it. 

Obviously it'd be cool to see a team back in Quebec though.

The NHL's 450 million dollar dumping ground

Which could be in Atlanta instead, there wasn't big fan support there anyway